What's new

They posted my E-mail on GameSpot! (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure you all could care less, but I e-mailed The Spot (GameSpot's letters section) and they posted and responded to my question. I asked them why they didn't review games (specific example I used was HALO) and mention things like High Def, DD5.1, etc. since the new HTGaming site (being made by Romier) was made because sites like GameSpot don't include info about more technical things in their reviews.
If you want to check it out, here's the link:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/letters/
I assume that it will change (probably tomorrow) to:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/feature...rs.060202.html
My sig name was L11mbm.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
At one time we had a plasma television, but the company recently confiscated it to mount it in the lobby of our new building. We're still in the process of replacing it. Because a high-definition television will improve all games in the same increments, it's pointless to mention it in reviews. I try to mention the effectiveness of surround sound in my reviews, but I admit that sometimes I don't. It all depends on whether I've played the majority of the game on my setup at home or on the television on my desk. By the way, the device I talked about that lets you play your Game Boy Advance games on a television screen doesn't display the graphics in full screen. There's a border around the display that makes it look similar to games being played in any PAL territory. That's how Gametech got around the issue of resolution.
This is their reply if I am looking at the correct letter...

Boy...are they wrong about this:

"Because a high-definition television will improve all games in the same increments, it's pointless to mention it in reviews."

Well, I have played Madden 2002 PS2 hooked up to my HDTV by component video, and I have played Madden 2002 X-Box hooked up to my HDTV by component video. There is a significant difference. Granted, neither game looks really good yet, but the X-Box version looks noticeably better, as would any game that is in progressive mode.

And how about mentioning 16:9 support?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Thier response reinforces exactly why I am creating HTgaming.com. In the end us Home Theater fanatics are the minority and I can understand them not catering to us "little" people but neglecting this information really makes it difficult for poeple like you and me to get the information we want.
Oh well. Fine by me. In about a month or two we'll have a haven to get that information:D.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Hey Morgan, I KNEW that was you! I read that letter first thing this morning, and I said to myself...that sounds an awful lot like our own Morgan Jolley. :)
Well written as always, man. Way to give the HT gamers a shout-out!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
"I am lucky enough to have a home theater to play video games on. It's my Dad's hobby, and he is really into it"

Thats what gave it away to me. The Famous Scootplex rides again! Congratulations Morgan; good points all round there. As for the 'it improves all games equally' reply well. Err. No, obviously.

Finally, aah... poor lickle baby lost his plasma screen. A brief mention of the blimmin' specs wouldn't hurt would it?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing that really made me want to write the e-mail was when I noticed that their Halo review didn't mention AT ALL the DD5.1 in real-time or anything else. Its one thing for them not to review the 5.1, but to not mention it at all is just wrong.

Thank god for Romier and HTGaming.com

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
Its nice to see an intelligent letter in there mixed in with all the "ps2 rulz", etc. crap that is usually in there.. i bet those guys over there have no idea how young you are.. :)

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Good job, Morgan! I too, have always been impressed with your attention to detail in your posts (no mispellings, typos, and so forth). You are head and shoulders above most of your peers.

John Kilroy

(who's never had any letters published on the web, though a good start would be to write one)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the compliments. I like to post letters to them in order to make sure that someone there knows what they're talking about and isn't just looking for info about release dates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks