What's new

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
That is EXACTLY what we said after seeing the 3D edition. Having seen it countless times in various venues & formats, the 3D disc was like being a little kid seeing it for the first time. Better color & detail than the standard BD. Zero interest in getting an HDR (talk about gimmicks!) release. It won't be even remotely the same experience. For me, the 3D version is definitive & will never view it in any flat format ever again.

I have seen colorized movies, seen movies converted to 3D and recently in UHD HDR versions. If done well I found the HDR versions to look very natural and in any case the closest to a proper original presentation among the three options.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Are there any new bonus features they can add for the re-release? I'm pretty happy with my Emerald Edition Blu-ray from the 70th anniversary, and then I think they did something new for the 75th, but I never double-dipped. Obviously the 4K will be an upgrade for those who have embraced that format, but sentimentally, this has already been put out with so much care the last several times that I'm not really sure what else they could add.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The Best Buy steelbook art.....

attachment.php

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Day 1 for me. Regardless of price and regardless of case design.

That is, just as long as Warner didn't screw up the 4K transfer. The early B&W portion had damn well better have the proper sepia tone and that yellow brick road had better POP with yellow greatness.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Day 1 for me. Regardless of price and regardless of case design.

That is, just as long as Warner didn't screw up the 4K transfer. The early B&W portion had damn well better have the proper sepia tone and that yellow brick road had better POP with yellow greatness.

Mark
Warner screwing up one of their crown jewels? Not happening after so many prior home video releases of the same title that looked gorgeous.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I got to see a pair of the ruby slippers, the Scarecrow's hat, and Glinda's wand last week at the Smithsonian. I also picked up the new book, "The Road to Oz," by Jay Scarfone and William Stillman when I got back. I'm not too far into it yet, but it goes into some fairly-detailed analysis of the earlier Oz films and the production of the 1939 film. Some of it was familiar, but there's enough in there that was new to be of interest to fans of the film who may have read previous books about it. It's definitely not "fluff." I'm anxious to read more of it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With new improved technology maybe they can colourise the B&W portion.
Now that is some really sick humor! Bite your tongue, completely off, please. :)

Mark
Actually, it could work; just as long as they balanced out the film by applying a proper sepia tone for the entirety of the Oz sections.;)
Oh, yes, I almost forgot; Day One Purchase for me, too. Well, that is, if the Day One reviews reveal a reflection of all our hopes.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks