What's new

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this is one of Warner's "holy grail" movies so I expect this to look and sound spectacular when it arrives on 4K/UHD disc.

They will do their Best to make this a success ánd I really hope they'll succeed as this would bode well for some other titles that also got a special treatment in previous formats.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[..]this has already been put out with so much care the last several times that I'm not really sure what else they could add.
It's down the road a bit, but the PRCP format will make all others obsolete.
As it is, I'm the very first person here to be speaking officially of the PRCP format on-line.
The PRCP format stands for the Purple Rose of Cairo Process;
it will come with two optional ways of viewing a film:
Option #1: All of our favorite stars will step out of the screens and into our living rooms.
Option #2: We get to step into the film and share in the visceral action and experience of the plot.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's down the road a bit, but the PRCP format will make all others obsolete.
As it is, I'm the very first person here to be speaking officially of the PRCP format on-line.
The PRCP format stands for the Purple Rose of Cairo Process;
it will come with two optional ways of viewing a film:
Option #1: All of our favorite stars will step out of the screens and into our living rooms.
Option #2: We get to step into the film and share in the visceral action and experience of the plot.
Doesn’t that already exist? If you’re in New York, you can see To Kill a Mockingbird, Aladdin, The Lion King, Beetlejuice, Mean Girls, King Kong and others, all with live actors right in front of you.

Reactions: PMF

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
It's being reported that iTunes has just upgraded The Wizard of Oz to 4K with HDR and Dolby vision for streaming.
I don't stream but that just makes me feel more confident it's coming out imminently

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It's being reported that iTunes has just upgraded The Wizard of Oz to 4K with HDR and Dolby vision for streaming.
I don't stream but that just makes me feel more confident it's coming out imminently
Indeed it has! While it’s certainly possible that Warner okayed the early iTunes release, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it’s a mistake and iTunes pulls it back until the official October release date.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Indeed it has! While it’s certainly possible that Warner okayed the early iTunes release, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it’s a mistake and iTunes pulls it back until the official October release date.
I don't see it now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't see it now.
Well, I didn't see it and checked twice more then decided to buy the HD Digital for $7.99 as a gamble and sure enough it's now in 4K/Dolby Vision.

"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" Wow, the Yellow Brick Road has never looked this good to my old eyes. Also, the 4K/Dolby Vision really accentuates the lines of makeup in this film as well as the background props and scenery.;)

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well, I didn't see it and checked twice more then decided to buy the HD Digital for $7.99 as a gamble and sure enough it's now in 4K/Dolby Vision.

"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" Wow, the Yellow Brick Road has never looked this good to my old eyes. Also, the 4K/Dolby Vision really accentuates the lines of makeup in this film as well as the background props and scenery.;)
Yup. As I said in an earlier post (#145) since my current copy was an Ultraviolet redemption, I'll have to find another way to upgrade. One method is the gift-it-to-yourself trick, but I'm always looking for bargains, so I may wait for this bundle to go on sale which would unlock Oz in 4K and future proof the other 4 which are bound to get 4K releases at some point.

Last edited:

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
After buying every single WOZ release on physical media I just downloaded the 4K UHD release from ITunes. I scanned thru it quickly and all I can say is wow. Very film-like, blacks are deep and rich, colors jump off the screen- the Ruby Slippers are almost too bright, the fire on the torches in the Witch’s castle looks as though it’s physically there in front of you. I can’t say how true a representation this is of Technicolor. I’m venturing to say we are now finally seeing what was picked up by those cameras 80 years ago, but the cynic in my says this is a whole lot of manipulation to get these colors.

I can’t say how many thousands of times (no joke) I’ve watched this movie. With every upgrade you see more and this release is no exception- it’s stunning. My opinion might change once I sit down and actually watch but so far so good.

Last edited:

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Any comments about the soundtrack?
In quickly running thru a few scenes nothing with the audio stood out except than the stereo mix sounded balanced.

Also, I believe they’ve corrected one audio issue. When Miss Gulch was putting Toto in the basket, one utterance of “Toto” was omitted from the last few releases. It appears to be back.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
So, Dorothy now says the full line, "Oh, Toto! Don't..."??​
Well, I just compared it to my transfer of the 1989 VHS.

“Oh don’t, Henry. (Sigh) Oh Toto, Toto. Toto.”

That italicized “Toto” is still missing. Why is beyond me. If anyone knows of anything else that went awry with the newer transfers let me know and I’ll compare them to the VHS. This 1980 release is the least tampered with version that I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks