1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by RICK BOND, May 6, 2019.

1. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    What possible reason could you have for thinking that it wouldn't be?

2. CarlosMeat

CarlosMeat Second Unit
    Supporter

Carlos
    I'm guessing that being "A Tale of Christ" might be turn off / politically incorrect in these times. Personally, one of my favorite films of all time.

SAhmed likes this.
  3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Yeah - so politically incorrect that they remade it a few years ago! :rolleyes:

Will Krupp likes this.
  4. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Funny how you can watch a movie by yourself, but see it very differently when viewed with other people. I have always thought the silent Ben-Hur was far superior to the 1950s version, so decided to show it to my class when we were studying the silent era.

Sections of it are in 2 colour Technicolor, and the sea battle uses real ships instead of miniatures in a tub. I had forgotten however how much more religious it was than the later version, and most of the Technicolor sequences are reserved for the birth of Christ.
    I became very apprehensive while while watching it with my class, about a 1/3 of which were recent immigrants with Mohamed somewhere in there name. No one however seemed to think it was inappropriate, and they actually seemed to enjoy the film.

I remember one technical question. One boy wanted to know why in the world they would choose to make the movie silent? Why not just have people talking?

Will Krupp and PMF like this.
  5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

There are plenty of Christian-based films out there these days. Heck, "Breakthrough" is still in the top 10 after 4 weeks.

I think the comment about "Ben-Hur" being too "politically incorrect" for modern times was an attempt to promote the fictitious "war on Christianity" promoted in some circles...

Richard M S, Will Krupp and JohnMor like this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    We're not going there, so please, drop those latest references as I'm going to delete any further posts that attempts to broach that topic of discussion.

SAhmed likes this.
  7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

:laugh:

PMF likes this.
  8. Message #108 of 513 May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Currently, we are in the learning curve stages as to which films can sustain its strengths and natural look; while attempting to draw out even more; with every step and goal towards the 4K/UHD format. Not the fault of the format; by any means; but in my gradual understandings of it all, I am surmising that it has much to do with the earlier technologies of any given film and its variable of stock. For example, "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) on 4K/UHD was a bit of a double-edge sword. There were many great improvements that made it worth my purchase and I could clearly see where this disc wanted to go; nonetheless, for every great advancement seen upon my screen there were some trade-offs that magnified its other weaker traits. As it is, I have not a clue as to which end of the spectrum its final results had been derived. Was it the film, stock and elements; or was it a fixable issue when preparing the 4K/UHD disc? Either way, it's absolutely not a deterrent for my continued interests and support for the 4K/UHD format; and would gladly purchase another "Kwai" if something more were to be elicited, honed and nailed. Not unlike the professionals, I'm still learning about this new frontier and am doing all to stay current in this very exciting time.

Going forward, these questions as to which films make proper "candidates" for this format are far from me to answer. Nonetheless, this worthy "candidate" question is obviously not confined to just the 50+ year old catalog titles, but also for the likes of a "Terminator 2" or a "Forrest Gump"; as they were somehow just a tad off, as well. But, in the larger picture of tremendous gains, its been a fantastic ride with 4K/UHD offerings of such superlative discs as "Blade Runner", "Alien", "The Matrix", "Braveheart", "Gladiator", "A Few Good Men", "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", "Saving Private Ryan" and "2001".

BTW, to be clear, I am rooting for "The Wizard of Oz" in 4K/UHD to be a success. Finally, if I've been off-track on anything concerning the technical, then please chirp in and correct me; as this is just my overall sense of things from a non-professional stance.

SAhmed likes this.
  9. CarlosMeat

CarlosMeat Second Unit
    Supporter

Carlos
    Yeah – so politically incorrect that they remade it a few years ago!

Yea and we saw the result !

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The result was not because of the subject matter, but that it was an awful film.

atcolomb, TonyD, PMF and 2 others like this.
  11. CarlosMeat

CarlosMeat Second Unit
    Supporter

Carlos
    Yeah – so politically incorrect that they remade it a few years ago!

Do you know that ? Not to mention tough place when the moderators take sides rather than just moderating.[​IMG]

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yes, it wasn't a good film and the CGI didn't help it either for me. As to your moderating comment, if you have an issue with it then contact me by private message. Otherwise, it's best you drop it right now.

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten

Moderators get to have opinions too. On the whole the moderating staff is among the most profilific of posters here at HTF. I don't see a thing wrong with Robert's response, but if you ever feel that he, I or any other moderator is out of line, feel free to report their posts and neutral parties will review them for bias.

Thanks!

14. Message #114 of 513 May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I once met Margaret Hamilton around the period of her Maxwell House ads.
    It was actually in the lobby of a hotel, where I once worked during my teen years.
    Great conversation and she couldn't have been nicer.
    Heck, she even autographed my "Making of The Wizard of Oz" book;
    which I ran home to get during a highly unscheduled meal break.;)

Does anyone else have an "Oz" encounter to share?:chatter:

15. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    Became friends with several of the Munchkins, including Jerry Maren. Lovely people.

MatthewA and PMF like this.
  16. AlexNH

AlexNH Stunt Coordinator

Alex Koutroubas
    It would be great if someone could find the additional deleted scenes (especially the wicked witch scenes) but they are probably buried under a California highway or at the bottom of the Pacific ocean. Thank you: Kirk Kerkorian :(

Richard M S likes this.
  17. Message #117 of 513 May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    OliverK

OliverK Producer

From what I have seen of the 4k DCP you will be very pleased. Apart from the new HDR grading the resolution and colors will also be improved and the overall picture quality will be a significant step up from 2001, that already got rave reviews.

Edit: I am mentioning 2001 as it was Warners' first large format classic that made it to UHD Blu-ray.

PMF likes this.
  18. RJ992

RJ992 Supporting Actor

Joel
    That is EXACTLY what we said after seeing the 3D edition. Having seen it countless times in various venues & formats, the 3D disc was like being a little kid seeing it for the first time. Better color & detail than the standard BD. Zero interest in getting an HDR (talk about gimmicks!) release. It won't be even remotely the same experience. For me, the 3D version is definitive & will never view it in any flat format ever again.

KPmusmag, moviebuff75 and TJPC like this.
  19. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    So, applying 3D to a movie that wasn't filmed in 3D is "definitive", but HDR is a "gimmick?" OK.

Will Krupp, PMF and Robert Crawford like this.
  20. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Can't wait for the colourised 3D version of 'Casablanca' (though I must admit I loved The Wiz in 3D).