What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've been hemming and hawing over putting an order in. There are some titles in the list I have really liked in the past and wouldn't mind adding to the collection. But there are enough I'm not 100% sure about. There's too many "sounds interesting" in my list...but I can't quite pull the trigger on The Way We Were or Love is a Many Splendored Thing...I don't remember loving either of them.

The Other (based on recommendation)
Alamo Bay (sounds interesting)
Lost Horizon (I really like the story and the original movie)
Mindwarp (dystopian-ish sci fi is usually a good bet)
Nicholas and Alexandria (I've always been enchanted with this movie for some reason; seen it a few times)
The Only Game in Town (again, sounds interesting)
The Sound and the Fury (sounds interesting...)

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Is there anyone at TT willing to chime in to answer this question for me: Have you access to, or plans to release, the 1965 action adventure A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA (20th Century-Fox) directed by Alexander Mackendrick? MisterLime let me know that Kino doesn't have it, and I doubt Criterion would release it, but I am hoping you might. Many thanks!
Not on our release list as yet. There is no new master at this time, and we generally wait to see if a title is gearing up for restoration before we move on it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've been hemming and hawing over putting an order in. There are some titles in the list I have really liked in the past and wouldn't mind adding to the collection. But there are enough I'm not 100% sure about.

At $10 each, do you really need to be 100%? That's equal or less than a movie ticket. :D

Though if you've seen the film before and it made so little impact that you have no memory of your opinion, you may want to skip those. Stick to some blind buys that "sound interesting". I've made 14 blind buys during this offer. If our weather ever cools enough for me to fire up the projector, I'll have plenty of first-time watching to do.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
At $10 each, do you really need to be 100%? That's equal or less than a movie ticket. :D

Though if you've seen the film before and it made so little impact that you have no memory of your opinion, you may want to skip those. Stick to some blind buys that "sound interesting". I've made 14 blind buys during this offer. If our weather ever cools enough for me to fire up the projector, I'll have plenty of first-time watching to do.

That's where most of my brain is...it's such a good deal and I've bought worse for more. Decisions, decisions....

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I was on the fence too. I suggest to go for it, definitely with blind buys. The only film in the bunch that I had actually seen before was "The Way We Were" and I wasn't a huge fan (it was good, but I've never liked Streisand outside of Meet the Fockers).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was on the fence too. I suggest to go for it, definitely with blind buys. The only film in the bunch that I had actually seen before was "The Way We Were" and I wasn't a huge fan (it was good, but I've never liked Streisand outside of Meet the Fockers).
That film holds some fond memories for me as a date night film back in my youth.:)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I could see it being a great date night film! I gave it a chance because I do really enjoy Redford. The story was interesting. I think my dislike for Streisand comes from when I was much younger (around '83 or '84) my Mom was watching Yentl on VHS or cable (can't remember) and I really wanted to play my Atari (we only had one TV). So I had to sit through that film. :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I could see it being a great date night film! I gave it a chance because I do really enjoy Redford. The story was interesting. I think my dislike for Streisand comes from when I was much younger (around '83 or '84) my Mom was watching Yentl on VHS or cable (can't remember) and I really wanted to play my Atari (we only had one TV). So I had to sit through that film. :)
I'm so sorry you HAD to sit through Yentl ... I would have traded places with you ... ;) I saw TWWW in a Theater with another movie ... Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (Back before cost effective home video, the studios would re-release fillums as double features. to theaters..) Yentl i s one of the first Blurays I ordered from TT :)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Excellent commentary on TT's I Could Go On Singing with Lawrence Turman. Really recommended. A lot of insight, wit, and behind-the-scenes stories with this gracious and amusing producer of the film. After hearing this delightful guy I'm really happy to have a copy signed by him. One of the interesting stories was about how the "emotional breakdown" scene in the movie wasn't planned. Judy Garland started going off script and really letting her emotions loose. Her co-star Dirk Bogard just had to roll with it—and did a great job. Director Ronald Neame, realizing this was a one-take thing, had DP Arther Ibbetson pull in for an unplanned tight close-up, and even had lighting highlight her face with key light in a way that was a bit strange, maybe, but realizing that they were doing it totally in the moment makes it all the more impressive all-around. Turman also has anecdotes to share about of few of his other projects (The Graduate from 1967, etc.), and about show-biz in general.

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm so sorry you HAD to sit through Yentl ... I would have traded places with you ... ;) I saw TWWW in a Theater with another movie ... Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (Back before cost effective home video, the studios would re-release fillums as double features. to theaters..) Yentl i s one of the first Blurays I ordered from TT :)

Think about it with the mind of about a 6 or 7 year old...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Can someone please clarify which studios are licensing films to TT and which ones are not? Might help before I make more film suggestions. Thanks.

Sony, Fox, and MGM/UA license to TT. They have occasionally made agreements with independents and foreign distributors beyond those three, but the bulk of their titles come from Sony, Fox and MGM.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Sony, Fox, and MGM/UA license to TT. They have occasionally made agreements with independents and foreign distributors beyond those three, but the bulk of their titles come from Sony, Fox and MGM.
Is the "Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" 3 panel CINERAMA with MGM? Would love to see a restored version of that someday. Thanks for info.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is the "Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" 3 panel CINERAMA with MGM? Would love to see a restored version of that someday. Thanks for info.

It's with Warner.

There are some problems with the title that unfortunately make it unlikely to be released in the foreseeable future. To begin with, ownership is shared between Warner and the current rights holders of the Cinerama holdings, but Warner is in control of the physical elements. They are in poor shape. The cost of a full-blown Warner restoration is many times what the film could reasonably expected to make. Dave Strohmaier has restored the Cinerama-owned titles like the travelogues, and could probably complete a restoration for significantly less than what Warner's internal facilities would cost. Unfortunately, Warner's internal policy does not allow material to be removed from their lot, so Mr. Strohmaier does not have access to the material needed to do a restoration, and is not likely to be granted that access. He's examined the elements on the Warner lot, but even though Warner admits that it would cost more to do it on the lot and that Strohmaier could do it more affordably offsite, they will not allow him to do so. (He's posted about this situation on HTF before, which is where I've gathered this information.) So unfortunately it appears that that title is stuck in a stalemate.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
OMG Jason, how could you be on the fence with The Way We Were? It is one of my absolute favorite Streisand films and Robert Redford was never more appealing!

I know I wanted to love it when I watched it a few years ago. My only real memory is it made no lasting impression.

And it should have, honestly.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
It's with Warner.

There are some problems with the title that unfortunately make it unlikely to be released in the foreseeable future. To begin with, ownership is shared between Warner and the current rights holders of the Cinerama holdings, but Warner is in control of the physical elements. They are in poor shape. The cost of a full-blown Warner restoration is many times what the film could reasonably expected to make. Dave Strohmaier has restored the Cinerama-owned titles like the travelogues, and could probably complete a restoration for significantly less than what Warner's internal facilities would cost. Unfortunately, Warner's internal policy does not allow material to be removed from their lot, so Mr. Strohmaier does not have access to the material needed to do a restoration, and is not likely to be granted that access. He's examined the elements on the Warner lot, but even though Warner admits that it would cost more to do it on the lot and that Strohmaier could do it more affordably offsite, they will not allow him to do so. (He's posted about this situation on HTF before, which is where I've gathered this information.) So unfortunately it appears that that title is stuck in a stalemate.
Too bad. While not a great movie it is only one of two 3 panel CINERAMA narrative features. It would look great if done with the same restorative care applied to How the West Was Won.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Too bad. While not a great movie it is only one of two 3 panel CINERAMA narrative features. It would look great if done with the same restorative care applied to How the West Was Won.

I completely agree. I would very much like to fork over some cash in exchange for a Blu-ray copy. If it's not as pristine as HTWWW, I'm ok with that. I don't like the idea that it might never be seen again in anything other than old TV masters.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Excellent commentary on TT's I Could Go On Singing with Lawrence Turman. Really recommended. A lot of insight, wit, and behind-the-scenes stories with this gracious and amusing producer of the film. After hearing this delightful guy I'm super happy to have a copy signed by him. One of the interesting stories was about how the "emotional breakdown" scene in the movie wasn't planned. Judy Garland started going off script and really letting her emotions loose. Her co-star Dirk Bogard just had to roll with it—and did a great job. Director Ronald Neame, realizing this was a one-take thing, had DP Arther Ibbetson pull in for an unplanned super close-up, and even had lighting highlight her face with key light in a way that was a bit strange, maybe, but realizing that they were doing it totally in the moment makes it all the more impressive all-around. Turman also has anecdotes to share about of few of his other projects (The Graduate from 1967, etc.), and about show-biz in general.

ICouldGoOnSinging_BD_HighRes_rev__20951.1461790782.1280.1280.png

Hey, benbess, would it be possible for you to post your poster & cover images in smaller versions? The image-intensiveness of this thread's pages is making it a bit of a slog for my browser to load.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks