What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (2 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
OMG Jason, how could you be on the fence with The Way We Were? It is one of my absolute favorite Streisand films and Robert Redford was never more appealing!
The film would have been better with its original ending. It just made more sense with the Streisand character having been a registered Communist. Clips from the original ending are included in the extras.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Not on our release list as yet. There is no new master at this time, and we generally wait to see if a title is gearing up for restoration before we move on it.
Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed! My top title in a shrinking want list.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Too bad. While not a great movie it is only one of two 3 panel CINERAMA narrative features. It would look great if done with the same restorative care applied to How the West Was Won.
It is also the last remaining true Cinerama title that has not found its way to Blu-ray, and in the Smilebox format to boot.That alone should make an archival restoration worth the expenditure, even if it does not make a profit. Often, saving something for posterity trumps being able to profit from it, and I would like to think Mr. Feltenstein is consistently pushing the suits to put in the bucks. Wish he'd become a contributor to this forum.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope in the future that perhaps a compromise could be worked out for Grimm where perhaps Warner scans the elements on site, thus staying true to their policy, while then allowing Mr. Strohmeier to take that data off the lot to work his magic as he has so many times before. I have no idea if that's even technically feasible, but it's the only solution I can think of. Doing it the way Warner insists would cost perhaps millions - doing it as Mr. Strohmeier has with other titles would cost significantly less. The Warner way would yield a higher quality product, but Mr. Strohmeier does incredible work on a limited budget, and I genuinely believe the audience for this title would be satisfied with what he could do. Unfortunately, with Blu-ray releases, Warner's policy seems to be "absolutely perfect or nothing at all".

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Dave mentioned there is also an Ultra Panavision print (or maybe it was a negative) of it but I don't know what the condition is.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Could TT please re-post the current titles for the bundle offering; or lead me to the Post # on this thread to which it was announced?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My family watched our TT copy of Sense and Sensibility night before last. What a wonderful film. In fact, it's my favorite movie from 1995, the year it was released. We laugh and cry a little each time we watch it—and we must have seen it more than a dozen times. The clarity of the blu-ray is great, giving details not seen before. Perfect adaptation of this novel imho.

TT has released a lot of good to great films, but I think 1995 might be the only year for which they've released my very favorite movie. Looking over wikipedia's write-up for 1995 in film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_in_film

I think I'll go with this list at the moment as my top ten for 1995:

1. Sense and Sensibility
2. Toy Story
3. 12 Monkeys
3. Nixon
4. Babe
5. Crimson Tide
6. The American President
7. Apollo 13
8. Pocahontas
9. The Quick and the Dead
10. The Usual Suspects

Quite possibly I'm missing something. There were certainly other good movies released that year.

Anyone else willing to say where Sense and Sensibility ranks for you in terms of movies released in 1995?

the-sense-and-sensibility-screenplay-and-diaries-1995.jpg

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've been enjoying so much the isolated score by Bernard Herrmann that comes with the TT release of Garden of Evil, that I've been wondering about some of his other scores for Fox in the 1950s. Someone else here mentioned King of the Khyber Rifles starring Tyrone Power and directed by Henry King. This one seems to have a typically excellent score by Herrmann:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
And here's the Moscow Symphony Orchestra performing Herrmann's score for the 1955 film The Kentuckian starring Burt Lancaster. This movie was actually directed by Lancaster too. It's pretty good imho, and has an interesting fight scene with a young Walter Matthau....

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Anyone else willing to say where Sense and Sensibility ranks for you in terms of movies released in 1995?

yes, it's a great film. I love these period movies.
I'd say it would be in my top 5 that year.

1. Braveheart
2. Whisper of the Heart
3. Toy Story
4. Sense and Sensibility
5. The Bridges of Madison Country

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
If I were to choose a top 10 for 1995.

In no particular order:

The City of Lost Children
Babe
Sense and Sensibility
A Little Princess
Heat
Devil in a Blue Dress
Il Postino
Safe
Before Sunrise
Fallen Angels

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'd forgotten that Devil in a Blue Dress was from 1995—and it's also a TT release. I think I'd add that to my top ten.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I love Sense and Sensibility. Emma Thompson fully deserved her Oscar for Adapted Screenplay. Beautiful performances all around, especially from Ms Thompson herself and the ever-wonderful Alan Rickman (still coming to terms with his untimely passing).

That said, my favourite film of 1995 was Apollo 13 ...in fact it is one of my favourite films from any year - truly inspiring and one that helps restore my drooping faith in humanity whenever I watch it.

[Ben, thanks for the Bernard Herrmann theme from King of the Khyber Rifles. I mentioned that title earlier in this thread in relation to the hoped-for Tyrone Power boxset. Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to your question about The Black Rose. Life's been getting in the way. Shall try this evening after work.]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks