What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
These Bond posts are OT, I can see this getting a little out of hand... Just about everyone has their favorite Bond films.

Good call, Timothy.

Let's get back on topic, people!

It IS way too easy to get derailed whenever a subjective sidebar gets started...like favorite/hated Bond films. It wouldn't take long for this particular sidebar to take on a life of its own. And, we already have a very specific thread for that topic.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My Screen Archives order came and I found another hidden gem - The description does not justify the fun romp Royal Flash
0j9tfltj.jpg

Very reminiscent of Richard Lester's Three (later Four) Musketeers it's an amusing historical comedy - based on a series of books - it was intended to start a James Bond-like franchise but they were denied by box-office response ... The TT bluray comes with some good extras including a commentary with Nick Redman & Soran from Star Trek Generations ...

With the current SAE sale this can be had (along with 6 others) for $10 each
Never hit a man when he's down, he may get up.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
My Screen Archives order came and I found another hidden gem - The description does not justify the fun romp Royal Flash
0j9tfltj.jpg

Very reminiscent of Richard Lester's Three (later Four) Musketeers it's an amusing historical comedy -
Is it nearly that good. It was never as well reviewed.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm now watching this gloomy, majestic, and tragic epic about the fall of the Romanovs and the rise of the Russian Revolution. Tom Baker, who 6 years or so later would become Dr. Who, is here almost unrecognizable as Rasputin. He is frightening and mesmerizing as this strange and close to evil man. Lawrence Olivier is also quite good in this, although his role is brief.

nicholas-and-alexandra-movie-poster-1972-1020204424.jpg

Last edited:

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
We are down to the last few hundred copies of JOHN CARPENTER'S VAMPIRES (out of 5,000) and to celebrate, the title is now ON SALE at a special price - only at www.twilighttimemovies.com from now until October 31st - don't dilly dally and fail to pick it up before it's too late for your very own Halloween -- happy (vampire) hunting!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
My second dip into the "bundle" pool has been made. This time my purchases were:

Bonjour Tristesse
Demetrius and the Gladiators
(very surprised this title is still available)
Lost Horizon (at $10 on TT Blu I couldn't resist)
The Other
Philadelphia
The Roots of Heaven
The Way We Were
(another one I'm surprised is still available)

Since the sale is set for strictly 7 titles with the inability to add an 8th title for another 10 bucks, it was a toss-up between flawed 50s Huston Cinemascope with Flynn and Welles in The Roots of Heaven vs. overall critically acclaimed and multiple Academy nominated Nicholas and Alexandra. 50s flawed won the argument in my head. ;)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Very reminiscent of Richard Lester's Three (later Four) Musketeers it's an amusing historical comedy - based on a series of books - it was intended to start a James Bond-like franchise but they were denied by box-office response ... The TT bluray comes with some good extras including a commentary with Nick Redman & Soran from Star Trek Generations ...

With the current SAE sale this can be had (along with 6 others) for $10 each
Never hit a man when he's down, he may get up.

I really enjoy this film. I also recommend George MacDonald Fraser's series of Flashman books. Flashman is based on a character from the Victorian classic Tom Brown's School Days by Thomas Hughes. Flashman was something of a bully who tormented young Tom Brown and his friends before they ganged up on him. He was eventually expelled from Rugby for drunkenness. It is at that point that Fraser's first novel Flashman begins (an episode of which is shown in the film Royal Flash during Flashy's opening speech).

The best novels in the series IMO are the ones that deal with the campaigns of Queen Victoria's "Little Wars", such as Flashman in the Great Game (the Indian Mutiny), Flashman at the Charge (the Crimean War), Flashman and the Mountain of Light (serving with Gough at Mudki), etc.There are some that place him in America - Flash for Freedom! is about the slave trade, and Flashman and Redskins ends with Flashman at the Little Bighorn. The fist novel places flashy in the First Afghan War. One of my least favorite books was actually Royal Flash, as it was little more than a warmed over version of The Prisoner of Zenda. However, the appearance of historical personages (Bismarck, Lola Montez, et al) enlivened it, and Flashman's narration is constantly amusing. I think they chose it because it lacks the epic battle scenes that appear in other novels.

The film of Royal Flash is quite faithful to the novel. The main difference is that the Prince that Flashman replaced had a shaved head, so Flashman had to shave his head as well. Malcolm McDowell with his smirk was born to play Flashman, and I always imagine him and hear his voice narrating the novels.

The novels are scrupulously accurate historically. One can learn the rudiments of all the conflicts covered just by reading these novels.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
["The Way We Were"] would have been better with its original ending[...]
Therefore, the original version should truly be known as "The Way We Were", while re-titling the current as "The Way We Went":D

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I really enjoy this film. I also recommend George MacDonald Fraser's series of Flashman books. Flashman is based on a character from the Victorian classic Tom Brown's School Days by Thomas Hughes. Flashman was something of a bully who tormented young Tom Brown and his friends before they ganged up on him. He was eventually expelled from Rugby for drunkenness. It is at that point that Fraser's first novel Flashman begins (an episode of which is shown in the film Royal Flash during Flashy's opening speech).

The best novels in the series IMO are the ones that deal with the campaigns of Queen Victoria's "Little Wars", such as Flashman in the Great Game (the Indian Mutiny), Flashman at the Charge (the Crimean War), Flashman and the Mountain of Light (serving with Gough at Mudki), etc.There are some that place him in America - Flash for Freedom! is about the slave trade, and Flashman and Redskins ends with Flashman at the Little Bighorn. The fist novel places flashy in the First Afghan War. One of my least favorite books was actually Royal Flash, as it was little more than a warmed over version of The Prisoner of Zenda. However, the appearance of historical personages (Bismarck, Lola Montez, et al) enlivened it, and Flashman's narration is constantly amusing. I think they chose it because it lacks the epic battle scenes that appear in other novels.

The film of Royal Flash is quite faithful to the novel. The main difference is that the Prince that Flashman replaced had a shaved head, so Flashman had to shave his head as well. Malcolm McDowell with his smirk was born to play Flashman, and I always imagine him and hear his voice narrating the novels.

The novels are scrupulously accurate historically. One can learn the rudiments of all the conflicts covered just by reading these novels.
According to the Commentary on the TT bluray Malcom wouldn't shave his head for the role :cool:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

The song for The Way We Were was moving to me even at the age of 8, in 1973, when it was a giant hit on the radio. But I was too young to see this kind of movie then. Finally saw it a few years ago on TV, and liked it, but felt something was missing. It felt like a piece of the puzzle just wasn't there. And part of what you get with the TT blu-ray are those missing pieces of the puzzle—good and crucial scenes that were cut from the movie by director SP before release. You get to see those missing scenes in the making of documentary on the TT blu-ray. Redman and Kirgo's commentary is also useful, insightful and amusing. The movie makes a more complete story now (if you edit it together in your head) and is more moving. And that song....!

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair

Agree strongly with your comments David. I have read all the Flashman books and enjoyed them all. I was sorry that we did not get more movies from the book series buy perhaps in the current state of cable and streaming a producer may option the remaining books.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/sale/

The Twilight Time website (not SAE) is having a sale on several of the $10 SAE titles but you don't need to buy 7 to get the discount. Also includes Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and Vampires.

Alamo Bay $14.95
Bonjour Tristesse $14.95
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner $14.95
Vampires $19.95
Mindwarp $14.95
Royal Flash $14.95

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Interesting. Thanks for sharing the sale information.

Finished up watching the Sound and the Fury. I haven't read but one short story by Faulkner (A Rose for Emily - and definitely not the source novel for this film), but the movie was really well done. I had no idea what to expect, but the cinematography was wonderful. It sure looked convincingly like a small town in Mississippi.

I really enjoyed Jack Warden's performance as well as Ethel Waters. When Warden is being shipped out of the house it was especially very touching (the line by Brynner about him "being sold into Egypt" was particularly interesting given his role as Pharaoh... haha).

Definitely an overlooked film that shows a decayed Southern family that never regained its former prestige even decades after the Civil War.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks