What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Same here....only Bite the Bullet and Swamp Water. I could probably talk myself into 5 others but I'm really attempting to be more discriminating with my purchases lately.

well, in the other forum they're organizing group buys.
If you had 5 titles to purchase I could add the 2 of mine.
(unless they add more titles until october 15th that would interest me)

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am sorry to see that truly "A" main stream films such as THE WAY WE WERE , LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING, NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRIA , and PHILADELPHIA did not sell well. My concern is that Twilight Time will release fewer of these type of movies going forward since the demand apparently is not there. I know The Way We Were and Philadelphia were released by Sony region free overseas prior to their Twilight Time release. Not sure if that would have impacted US sales.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There is something seriously wrong with me. I'm like one of those 1950s housewives who go nuts when the department store has a sale and buy a bunch of stuff that they don't even need. I managed to find 7 titles that I hadn't planned on buying, but convinced myself that at $10 a piece I couldn't pass it up.

Me too. I'll have to check the mirror the next time I'm in the restroom. I think I must have "sucker" printed on my forehead. Given the new titles added, I just ordered a second bundle of seven during this promotion. This is my second batch:
  • Rapture
  • Bite the Bullet
  • Desiree
  • Bonjour Tristesse
  • Lost Horizon
  • The Way We Were
  • Royal Flash
All blind buys, but for $10 on limited edition blu, what the heck. :thumbsup:

Demetrius & the Gladiators was the title that lost out, as the eighth title in my cart. Maybe I'll pick that up at the next promo if it's still available. Never seen and don't currently own The Robe, so decided to skip the sequel right now.

I was happy to find SAE offered a Media Mail shipping option this time. I didn't see this with my previous orders. That saved about $5.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Cover Girl, from 1944, is a grand piece of escapist entertainment—and a key movie in the career of Gene Kelly. This is a fun film that made me laugh out lout at times, and at other times was jaw-dropping because of its over-the-top and epic numbers.

The original technicolor negative has apparently been lost on this, and so it got mediocre ratings for its PQ. RAH on this site has, as you know, his wonderful a few words reviews, and he gave the PQ on Cover Girl a low number, and I thought it would be difficult to watch. Is it problematic? Yes, it is, like other productions like Drums Along the Mohawk that had their negatives thrown out by Fox, etc. we gnash our teeth at the tragedy.

But the bottom line for me personally is that Cover Girl is quite watchable. I'd probably give the PQ a C+. It's a clean if somewhat artificial image that gets us as close as we can to this wonderful movie at this point.

Anyway, this is a key movie for Gene Kelley because Columbia lured him over from MGM with the bait that he could design and make up his own musical numbers. And boy did he! The number where he dances with a ghost of himself is a standout, and was a real technical achievement at the time. But all of the songs, with lyrics by Ira Gershwin and music by Jerome Kern, are good to great. And there is some real drama and emotion here—it's not just spectacular fluff (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Phil Silvers and Eve Arden add a lot of humor, and Rita Hayworth is great. Otto Kruger is also good in his role. Spectacular costumes are given a twist with a little time travel plot element that for some scenes take us back to the 1890s.

Cover Girl makes my top 10 list for 1944. Includes an insightful essay by Julie Kirgo.

cover-girl-poster.jpg

rita_hayworth_cover_girl.jpg

I believe many years ago the only prints of Cover Girl available for TV stations to show were in black and white. The fact they were able to locate some color elements even if in less than pristine shape should not be taken lightly.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
And has been reported by Warners that the full, unedited print has serious issues preventing an HD master at the current time so they are working on it but it may be awhile before it is ready.
My fingers get crossed every Halloween, hoping to see this one get released as part of the annual horror/sci-fi releases each Fall. The issues with it must be pretty major, or else I think we'd have seen it by now. Hopefully next year!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The wonderful essays by Julie Kirgo are alone worth $10 to me, personally, and then you've got the movie on top of that, plus any other special features. At these prices, why the heck not!

If I may ask, what did you get?

And for anyone who missed it, here's the direct link to the titles included in the 7 for $70 sale:

http://www4.screenarchives.com/bundle.cfm

These are in no particular order (Titles I really wanted are BOLDED) all are bluray .. except in the last batch) Titles are in all caps as I copied therm from SAE website ...
First Group:
COVER GIRL (1944)
HIGH TIME (1960)
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955)
BELOVED INFIDEL (1959)
PONY SOLDIER (1952)
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (1943)
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970)

2nd Order (mostly blind buys)
RAPTURE (1965)
THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958)
THE WAYWARD BUS (1957)
THE SOUND AND THE FURY (1959)
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977)
ALAMO BAY (1985)
MINDWARP (1992)

Yesterday's order (I had 10 that I really wanted and ended up ordering a DVD to even it ... out as with the 1st group the blind buys were AmAzing)

THE KREMLIN LETTER (DVD / 1970)
SWAMP WATER (1941)
PAL JOEY (1957)
BITE THE BULLET (1975)
DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS (1954)
DESIREE (1954)
BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958)
LOST HORIZON (1973)
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)
LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955)

SEXY BEAST (2000)
THE OTHER (1972)
THE WAY WE WERE (1973)
ROYAL FLASH (1975)

This order has already shipped! (I already had Blue Lagoon and Philadelphia -the other new blurays added yesterday,or I would have ordered them ..)

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
These are in no particular order (Titles I really wanted are BOLDED) all are bluray .. except in the last batch) Titles are in all caps as I copied therm from SAE website ...
First Group:
COVER GIRL (1944)
HIGH TIME (1960)
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955)
BELOVED INFIDEL (1959)
PONY SOLDIER (1952)
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (1943)
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970)

2nd Order (mostly blind buys)
RAPTURE (1965)
THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958)
THE WAYWARD BUS (1957)
THE SOUND AND THE FURY (1959)
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977)
ALAMO BAY (1985)
MINDWARP (1992)

Yesterday's order (I had 10 that I really wanted and ended up ordering a DVD to even it out as with the 1st group the blind buys were AmAzing)

THE KREMLIN LETTER (DVD / 1970)
SWAMP WATER (1941)
PAL JOEY (1957)
BITE THE BULLET (1975)
DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS (1954)
DESIREE (1954)
BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958)
LOST HORIZON (1973)
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)
LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955)

SEXY BEAST (2000)
THE OTHER (1972)
THE WAY WE WERE (1973)
ROYAL FLASH (1975)

This order has already shipped! (I already had Blue Lagoon and Philadelphia -the other new blurays added yesterday,or I would have ordered them ..)
Now I don't feel so bad, impulsively buying only 1 set!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Now I don't feel so bad, impulsively buying only 1 set!

As, this is apparently a deep clearance sale (Song of Bernadette is SOLD-OUT e.g.) This may be the last opportunity to get these titles and at the same price that Blockbuster would have their "previously viewed" DVDs. It was very easy as I saw my total cart price drop from over $249. to $140.00 before shipping ...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Blue Lagoon must be sold out? I thought it was on the bundle list a couple days ago, but is now gone.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Blue Lagoon must be sold out? I thought it was on the bundle list a couple days ago, but is now gone.
The list was updated 9/19 and BL WAS on the list ..another reason that I ordered so many at once ... these are not bottom of the barrel movies .. they will probably go quick ...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I believe many years ago the only prints of Cover Girl available for TV stations to show were in black and white. The fact they were able to locate some color elements even if in less than pristine shape should not be taken lightly.
On my modest equipment there were no issues I could see with a film of this vintage ... If you're not into Musicals ... just turn off the sound and let Rita show her stuff in brilliant Technicolor :)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Update:

After reading more messages in this thread, I went ahead and bought a bundle. The post about a '50s house wife made me laugh, but these were all blind buys for me...

The Roots of Heaven
The Rains of Ranchipur
Desiree
Bonjour Tristesee
Love is a Many Splendored Thing (I have heard the theme song several times... haha)
The Sound and the Fury
Nicholas and Alexandra

Any suggestions for which one to view first? I'm leaning towards Nicholas and Alexandra because I love historical epics and I'm surprised I never saw this one before.

EDIT - Just realized I picked up all 1950's releases outside of Nicholas and Alexandra. I tend to gravitate to that decade in film, but this was unintentional. Interesting...

Also, just wanted to thank TT and Screen Archives for making this happen. I probably won't have bought these titles at full price given my limited budget these days. I will be picking up some of your new releases soon though (including Remo Williams - guilty pleasure)...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For better or worse (and I have no complaints), I ordered most of the things I would have wanted from that list at full price earlier in the year. But for how much I enjoyed Roots Of Heaven, I have no complaints. Sometimes that's just how it goes. Fantastic deal though!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Is there anyone at TT willing to chime in to answer this question for me: Have you access to, or plans to release, the 1965 action adventure A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA (20th Century-Fox) directed by Alexander Mackendrick? MisterLime let me know that Kino doesn't have it, and I doubt Criterion would release it, but I am hoping you might. Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks