What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Yep, Moby sold out at both places.

And, as was mentioned, Birdman is gone at TT, still at SAE, I believe.

I'm glad I jumped on it and Lilies of the Field when TT put out their first "running low" alert on it a couple weeks back.
This carefully color corrected reissue of Moby Dick is just a classic all around.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Hi there TT insider, a couple of westerns to ask you about:

1) "The Lone Ranger" 1956 theatrical adaptation starring Clayton Moore + Jay Silverheels, which has been issued on DVD but thus far only fullscreen. (The movie also spawned a sequel "The Lost City of Gold", also on DVD in fullscreen only).

2) "Harry Tracy" (1981) starring Bruce Dern, Helen Shaver + Gordon Lightfoot (yes, the singer) which also has been released on DVD, but not OAR. I believe this one is in public domain.
If not with TT, would you happen to know if either of these have been picked up by anyone for Bluray?

P.S. any chance you'll be getting back "The Flim-Flam Man" (1967), which you previously released only on DVD?

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
April's here.....which means TT will announce their July/August releases sometime this month. Used to be the first or second Saturday of the month, but the February announcement of the May/June titles didn't happen til Feb 18th, so I guess we may be in for a longer wait this month.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
April's here.....which means TT will announce their July/August releases sometime this month. Used to be the first or second Saturday of the month, but the February announcement of the May/June titles didn't happen til Feb 18th, so I guess we may be in for a longer wait this month.

Holy crap! It has been 2 months already? Time is moving a little too quickly these days.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I totally agree with you about putting it in MGM's hands, but I am unfamiliar with the ALAMO story, I know people were trying to get it restored, but nothing about a collector and his copy.

Well, here's the sad story (Wikipedia entry, but also on one of the Alamo threads on the Forum):

The Alamo
premiered at its 70mm roadshow length of 202 minutes, including overture, intermission, and exit music, but was severely cut for wide release. UA re-edited it to 167 minutes. The 202-minute version was believed lost until a Canadian fan, Bob Bryden, realized he had seen the full version in the 1970s. He and Alamo collector Ashley Ward discovered the last known surviving print of the 70mm premiere version in Toronto. It was pristine. MGM (UA's sister studio) used this print to make a digital video transfer of the roadshow version for VHS and LaserDisc release.

The print was taken apart and deteriorated in storage. By 2007 it was unavailable in any useful form. MGM used the shorter general release version for subsequent DVD releases. At present, the only existing version of the original uncut roadshow release is on standard definition 480i digital video. It is the source for broadcasts on Turner Classic Movies. The best available actual film elements are of the 35mm negatives of the general release version.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
TT has -
"The Fortune Cookie", "How to Steal a Million", "You'll Never Get Rich", and "Another Woman"

coming up for pre-order this wednesday on both websites!

this is their fourth release of a Hayworth title on blu, cool!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Wow! That's a very strong lineup!! I want all four, but will be preordering the first two. I wouldn't be surprised to see "Million" sell out within 60 days as Audrey Hepburn has had a revival of interest lately.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
The DVD of How To Steal a Million is going for $28.95 on Amazon so a dollar more for the blu-ray isn't asking much more for a huge jump in quality. I hope it does well for TT

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Hi there TT insider, a couple of westerns to ask you about:

1) "The Lone Ranger" 1956 theatrical adaptation starring Clayton Moore + Jay Silverheels, which has been issued on DVD but thus far only fullscreen. (The movie also spawned a sequel "The Lost City of Gold", also on DVD in fullscreen only).

2) "Harry Tracy" (1981) starring Bruce Dern, Helen Shaver + Gordon Lightfoot (yes, the singer) which also has been released on DVD, but not OAR. I believe this one is in public domain.
If not with TT, would you happen to know if either of these have been picked up by anyone for Bluray?

P.S. any chance you'll be getting back "The Flim-Flam Man" (1967), which you previously released only on DVD?

I believe the 1956 "Lone Ranger" now belongs to Universal/DreamWorks Animation since they acquired the assets of Classic Media.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Well, here's the sad story (Wikipedia entry, but also on one of the Alamo threads on the Forum):

The Alamo
premiered at its 70mm roadshow length of 202 minutes, including overture, intermission, and exit music, but was severely cut for wide release. UA re-edited it to 167 minutes. The 202-minute version was believed lost until a Canadian fan, Bob Bryden, realized he had seen the full version in the 1970s. He and Alamo collector Ashley Ward discovered the last known surviving print of the 70mm premiere version in Toronto. It was pristine. MGM (UA's sister studio) used this print to make a digital video transfer of the roadshow version for VHS and LaserDisc release.

The print was taken apart and deteriorated in storage. By 2007 it was unavailable in any useful form. MGM used the shorter general release version for subsequent DVD releases. At present, the only existing version of the original uncut roadshow release is on standard definition 480i digital video. It is the source for broadcasts on Turner Classic Movies. The best available actual film elements are of the 35mm negatives of the general release version.

Somewhere here on this forum there is a thread for "The Alamo". But I sympathize with those who have not heard any news on this film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Just preordered How To Steal a Million.

Screened How To Suceed in Business this last weekend with my partner, neither of us had seen the film before. Very enjoyable romp, kept wanting more songs, more dance!! Robert Morse, Rudy Vallee and Michele Lee were all great.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Just picked up "The Train" on the final day of the sale. Looking forward to it. Missed out on the first release.

Terrific film and a great looking BD; you won't regret it.

TT deserves my thanks for making me a Lancaster fan. Previously he was one of those actors I never warmed up to. But after blind buying Train, Scorpio, Birdman and Nuremberg over the past several years I have a whole new level of respect for his talents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks