What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If we stop and think about it, our collective "Suggestions" lists has really been a Two-Way street.
Of course, there are the lists that we've generated.
But what's also great is when TT; and others; announces and produce those titles that I've never heard or thought of, before.
The reviews get read, the Posts get Posted and all of a sudden we're on the receiving ends of their "Suggestions", as well.
I wonder how many TT titles we've all purchased which were originally films we had never considered, but latter benefitted from?
With HTF as our meeting ground, we are collectively attending the best damned Film History school on the planet.:cool:

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Title Suggestions for TT:

"Going In Style"; Art Carney, George Burns and Lee Strasberg.
"Harry and Tonto"; Art Carney
"Gigot"; Jackie Gleason and directed by Gene Kelly

I second all three of these. GIGOT was horribly handled as an MOD DVD by Fox -- a non- anamorphic mess. Lovely performances by Gleason and the little girl. Very sweet.

GOING IN STYLE is a delightful and poignant study of three old men with very little to live for, who decide to rob a bank. It can be funny as hell, but has seriously melancholy undertones.

HARRY AND TONTO is quintessential Art Carney.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm personally holding out hope for Wilson (1944), as it's the 100th anniversary of our entry into WWI.
"
Wilson" would certainly
be a nice pairing to go with TT's Sold-Out BD of "Leave Her to Heaven"; as both titles represent back-to-back Oscars for DP Leon Shamroy. And I've really been enjoying the fact that TT has offered up other BD pairings (or more) with the likes of William Holden, Broderick Crawford, Judy Holiday, Spencer Tracy, Jack Nicholson;
or directors such as Stanley Kramer, John Huston, Fred Zinnemann, George Roy Hill and Hal Ashby.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I second all three of these. GIGOT was horribly handled as an MOD DVD by Fox -- a non- anamorphic mess. Lovely performances by Gleason and the little girl. Very sweet.

GOING IN STYLE is a delightful and poignant study of three old men with very little to live for, who decide to rob a bank. It can be funny as hell, but has seriously melancholy undertones.

Or, as is stated on the gateway signs to Maine: "The Way Life Ought To Be".;)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
If we stop and think about it, our collective "Suggestions" lists has really been a Two-Way street.
Of course, there are the lists that we've generated.
But what's also great is when TT; and others; announces and produce those titles that I've never heard or thought of, before.
The reviews get read, the Posts get Posted and all of a sudden we're on the receiving ends of their "Suggestions", as well.
I wonder how many TT titles we've all purchased which were originally films we had never considered, but latter benefitted from?
With HTF as our meeting ground, we are collectively attending the best damned Film History school on the planet.:cool:

I have often said that I look forward to the less obvious choices, the forgotten gems and least known. A Month in the Country, Fatherland and The Member of the Wedding are 3 films that instantly come to mind. I also love that they released Bobby Deerfield, Bandit Queen, Stanley & Iris and Fat City. Not really films that have big followings and probably aren't big sellers. But they decided to release them because they admired them.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Going in Style has been remade ... and in theaters this week ...

PGB

Agent
Real Name
Geoffrey Blowers
"Wilson" would certainly be a nice pairing to go with TT's Sold-Out BD of "Leave Her to Heaven"; as both titles represent back-to-back Oscars for DP Leon Shamroy. And I've really been enjoying the fact that TT has offered up other BD pairings (or more) with the likes of William Holden, Broderick Crawford, Judy Holiday, Spencer Tracy, Jack Nicholson;
or directors such as Stanley Kramer, John Huston, Fred Zinnemann, George Roy Hill and Hal Ashby.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Is there a chance TT will re-release LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN as an Encore release? I second them releasing WILSON (the DVD technicolor print is pretty awful). Id also like to see a restoration of THE RAINS CAME (surely within the Fox catalogue leased to TT)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Is there a chance TT will re-release LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN as an Encore release? I second them releasing WILSON (the DVD technicolor print is pretty awful). Id also like to see a restoration of THE RAINS CAME (surely within the Fox catalogue leased to TT)

I'm with you on all three counts, Geoffrey - i.e. Wilson, The Rains Came and a reissue of Leave Her to Heaven.

Have frequently kicked myself for not picking up the TT Blu of LHtH before it sold out in a last minute rush, and have not left things to chance since. But I recall TT said that The Train would be their absolute last re-issue, so I doubt that we'll see an Encore release. I very much hope that I'm wrong on that score.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Going in Style has been remade ... and in theaters this week ...
Thus my reason for suggesting it. I plan on seeing the re-make but I usually lean towards the originals; such as "The Out-Of-Towners" with Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis, or "A Star is Born" with Janet Gaynor and Frederic March.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wonder if TT would have any interests in rounding up the remaining Oscar Nominated Meryl Streep titles not yet out on BD, such as "One True Thing"?

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I wonder if TT would have any interests in rounding up the remaining Oscar Nominated Meryl Streep titles not yet out on BD, such as "One True Thing"?

I don't know if it was nominated for any awards, but I do wish TT (or someone) would put out a BD of "The Seduction of Joe Tynan" with Alan Alda, Barbara Harris, Rip Torn and Streep. So far, it's only been available as a DVD-R from Universal.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I wonder if TT would go for the remaining Oscar Nominated Meryl Streep titles not yet out on BD, such as "One True Thing"?
P.S. Sorry TT, that I haven't bought anything this week, but I keep on watching the great work done on "Moby Dick".
I'm still hooked!!!:)

TT does not have an agreement with Universal.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is there a chance TT will re-release LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN as an Encore release?

Probably not, unfortunately. Last year, TT announced that after they finished this year's already announced run of encore editions, they wouldn't do any further encores.

PGB

Agent
Real Name
Geoffrey Blowers
Probably not, unfortunately. Last year, TT announced that after they finished this year's already announced run of encore editions, they wouldn't do any further encores.

I'm wondering whether a transfer from a previously issued DVD by TT onto a blu ray would count as an Encore edition. I'm still hoping for a blu ray of "The Left hand of God"

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm wondering whether a transfer from a previously issued DVD by TT onto a blu ray would count as an Encore edition. I'm still hoping for a blu ray of "The Left hand of God"

If it's never been on BD, I would imagine not. I was assuming the title had been on BD, if it's DVD only I think a new edition would be an upgrade and not count as an encore. Sorry for introducing confusion into the mix.

Reactions: PGB

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
How about DOCTOR DOLITTLE? 2017 is the 50th anniversary of the TODD-AO film.

It's a shame that "Star!" and "Doctor Dolittle" are not yet released, two huge productions in Todd-AO and 6 track stereo remain unreleased. I read that Fox would not lease these 2 films to Twilight Time, and that seems very silly considering they won't release them themselves. With the anniversary of Doctor Dolittle, let's hope Fox makes some kind of move.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
TT is open to BD upgrades of previous DVD titles. I think they even indicated My Cousin Rachel as a title they plan to upgrade in the future.

Yes, they said they pan to upgrade two of the titles they originally released on dvd, once the 4k restorations were done. My cousin Rachel was one of them. I hope the Left Hand of God is the other, though I have never read of a 4k restoration being in the works.

By the way, Fox has just completed a 4k restoration for Moontide. Hope it finds its way on Bluray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks