What's new

The Tomorrow War (2021) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Agree. Don't get caught up in the actual science or plot too much, and just munch your popcorn and sit back for the ride. It's science "fiction" after all. They can largely make their own rules.

I do agree that we didn't see the folks from the future selling the crisis very well, and do find it hard to believe the countries of the world would just go along with the process. Though once the first group went and survivors came back, they'd have first-hand witnesses.

I don't really agree that there's "extra" time after the what some here are calling the climax. They still had to find a way to try and prevent the war. They had to come up with a solution and a new plan to stop that future from being realized. And there was still a big climax at the actual end of the film. It was nearly 140 minutes, but I thought it flew by for the most part.

It's a shame this didn't go to theaters. This might be the rousing, "the world comes together, striving for victory against all odds" type of film that audiences would respond to right now. The streaming audience seems to like it. Four stars with over 10,000 reviews.

1625457441100.png

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I still do not understand why it ended the way it did.
If they prevented the future war from ever happening, why doesn’t the film end with Chris Pratt and his daughter back watching the football game at her party as everything resets?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I’ve got a good friend who can’t do this. He almost gets pissed off. He watches a movie with a chip on his shoulder. He watches a movie to find fault with it. He hated Colossus the Forbin Project because he would not accept the movies premise and go with it. So he doesn’t like a lot of movies. I’m showing this JC’s The Thing this week. I told him, with a smile, if he picks this movie to death, I’m done with him. I know he won’t like the ending.

Is your friend Jason V? :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I try not to associate with people like that.

It's funny. I don't think this movie is either as good or as bad as most others here seem to think it is. It's exactly what it is. A silly Action/SciFi flick. Go with it or don't, but don't put too fine a line to the story.
Actually, I think most people that stated they liked this movie aren't really saying it's so good, but rather they had a fun/enjoyable experience watching the movie.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
If they prevented the future war from ever happening, why doesn’t the film end with Chris Pratt and his daughter back watching the football game at her party as everything resets?
See post 14, Dave explained it much better than I could.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Is your friend Jason V? :)

Well that’s unfair Mark! 🤣🤣 I never go into a movie wanting to not like it. I mean, what’s the point in that? But I do like things to make sense. I don’t turn my brain off…not even when we’re watching Below Deck Mediterranean. 😇

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You can't think about it too hard, but
there was no "reset" of time. Everyone in 2022 still remembers all the actions that took place from the first emergence of the time travelers, though the mass casualties of people sent into the future who did not return (they did not reappear or come back to life), until the destruction of the aliens.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well that’s unfair Mark! 🤣🤣 I never go into a movie wanting to not like it. I mean, what’s the point in that? But I do like things to make sense. I don’t turn my brain off…not even when we’re watching Below Deck Mediterranean. 😇
There are good, even great movies that require your brain to be turned off. Do you take the premise of JC’s “The Thing”, that a creature can completely morph into something different? That’s impossible. ST’s Transporter, that’s just not possible, but I’ll guess you accept them.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There are good, even great movies that require your brain to be turned off. Do you take the premise of JC’s “The Thing”, that a creature can completely morph into something different? That’s impossible. ST’s Transporter, that’s just not possible, but I’ll guess you accept them.

So this is the game we’re gonna play now? Alright, let’s play.

Yes, I accept The Thing and transporters for these reasons:

1) we do not know that there is not an alien life form anywhere in the universe that can’t morph. Once we know without a shadow of a doubt there is not one anywhere in the entire universe, we’ll talk again.

2) transporters don’t exist and are not possible today. Does that mean they won’t be possible in 200 years? 300 years? Nope. So I accept them too.

Contrast those with what we know about the world today. A global pandemic, global warming, homelessness, famine, war…none of them bring our current world together as one.

But we’re supposed to believe that, in a year, when humans come through a time vortex saying aliens are waging war on us in the future, everyone suddenly says “oh shit, this is the real stuff”? Seriously?

Moreover, it’s not impossible, just highly implausible that, of the half a million humans left on the planet, Pratt’s daughter is one of them AND she’s in a position of power with the military.

On top of all that, the glass test tube doesn’t break when Pratt is trying to save his daughter on the exploding base. Or when he falls on his stomach back in 2022. And the medics can’t take it away from him when he’s unconscious. Ans they let him keep this item from the future.

And the governments of the world willingly send civilians into the future to be slaughtered. Why? For what reason?

Accept those all you want because things go BOOM and sounds good on your stereo. Movies have to make sense and it rooted in reality for me. I never ever said they had to be for you.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Accept those all you want because things go BOOM and sounds good on your stereo. Movies have to make sense and it rooted in reality for me. I never ever said they had to be for you.
I never said, nor felt you did say that. There is nothing in science that implies the two examples are remotely possible. The Theory of Relativity says you can travel forward when nearing the spread of light. Actually time just slows down for the traveler. Science in no fashion accepts the flexible time travel in the movies. I know this and happily accept the premise of the Terminator movies.

Perhaps the difference between us is that you require a movie to reach a level of quality before you buy in. I’m not arguing for the “Tomorrow War” because I haven’t seen it yet. I can buy into a fantastic premise even for a poor movie (IMHO) like “Millenium” (the novel is good).

Is “The Tomorrow War” rooted in reality? Once it has time travel or aliens on earth, for me it isn’t. But those premises won’t cause a problem for me. Also, I wasn’t intending to play a game.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So you’re saying that just because we believe something right now there is no way that anything else comes down the pike to make us rethink the Theory of Relativity, for instance? I reject that notion because that’s the very essence of science: learn, evaluate and change, if needed. Just because humanity in 2021 believes time travel isn’t possible doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. It’s not possible today based on what we know. In 30 years, we may have a completely different stance.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In my case, I shouldn't hold the stupidities in this movie to some different level than the stupidities in similar films of this genre such as "Independence Day" and "The Rock". I know the stupidities in this film should annoy me as much as the ones in "Independence Day", but I just found them less cringeworthy than the ones in "ID". Although,
throwing your ancestors, untrained, into a meat grinder comes pretty close. I mean, thinking about it makes you ask how many of the humans that were killed were due to the actions of the aliens and how many were really due to the actions of descendents recruiting their own parents or grandparents.

If you start seriously analyzing it in that way then the film gets a lot less entertaining.

These types of films are mostly meant to be spectacle. Logical writing is low on the list; however, I can understand others hating.or disliking the film, because I really disliked "ID" and if I start analyzing this film it could conceivably end up in the same place as "ID" did for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Then you also have to wonder
why people in 2052 didn't start to disappear as their parents/grandparents recruited from 2022 began to die. Wouldn't those future people then not be born? Or maybe the process only selected people in 2022 whose descendants were already dead in 2052? Or those who had already died prior to the war, as with Dan.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This might be the dumbest movie I've really liked in a long time. Totally stupid. Totally enjoyable.

Some of the scenes were pretty good Atmos demonstrations. I can see myself using this movie to demo Atmos to friends, and then us ending up watching the entire movie.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So you’re saying that just because we believe something right now there is no way that anything else comes down the pike to make us rethink the Theory of Relativity, for instance? I reject that notion because that’s the very essence of science: learn, evaluate and change, if needed. Just because humanity in 2021 believes time travel isn’t possible doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. It’s not possible today based on what we know. In 30 years, we may have a completely different stance.
In my personal experience there are things that I consider truly impossible. I just don’t let them get in the way of enjoying the movie. Back and forth time travel, disassembly of matter, transmitting it, and reassembling of the matter. The last thing is akin to being a god. If a persons can be disassembled then the person can be reassembled in an “improved” form. I’m an atheist sod’s the idea is not sacrilegious to me, just impossible. Aliens visiting us, with vast distance involved, EXTREMELY unlikely.

None of these will stop me from enjoying a movie I otherwise like. I think I gotta watch the movie before before discussing it further.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks