What's new

The Tomorrow War (2021) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If that were the case, though, the future should have changed every time the future sent people to the past and the past sent people to the future.
This movie isn’t that sophisticated. And there’s no real indication this is a multiverse. Just the one timeline, as they said.

Could be multiverse. Doesn’t really matter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The many worlds theory just states that there is a universe for every possibility. If the world of 2022 and the world of 2051 branched off at the moment that the future people appeared in the stadium, it would make sense that they are identical in every perceivable way, because -- until that moment -- they were. Everybody who had been born prior to the point where they branched off would exist in both universes.

Another J.K. Simmons project, "Counterpart", explored this in a more in-depth and serious way. In that case an East German experiment in the eighties prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall resulted in the universe being duplicated, with the only passage between the two universes at the spot in Berlin where the experiment took place. At the moment of duplication, the two universes were identical. But the Butterfly Effect meant that they gradually developed in different directions.

It's the only way it's not a paradox. But if it is two separate universes that were identical until 2022, then it makes no sense that the young and old versions of people can't exist in the same time, because even though they were the same person up until the moment when the timelines diverged, they're different people now -- probably very different people. That is hinted at when Colonel Forester talks with Dan about her father. Her father was the same person as Dan until 2021 or so, but her father never found his calling, never got drafted into saving the world. And as a result of his frustration and disappointment, his marriage failed and his relationship with his daughter suffered.
My point is... if it takes that much incorporation of things which are not actually in the movie, to explain the movie, it's probably reaching at the minimum. When you have to bring up a completely unrelated movie to explain this one...

All I'm saying is that the much simpler and more likely explanation is plain, simple, sloppy writing. If those critical elements are supposed to be part of the story, they should be part of the story. As Dave just said, it's just not that sophisticated of a movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
All I'm saying is that the much simpler and more likely explanation is plain, simple, sloppy writing. If those critical elements are supposed to be part of the story, they should be part of the story.
I don't disagree. And as @DaveF noted, it ultimately doesn't really matter. The time travel is a plot device that allows the protagonist to kill a lot of aliens. Worldbuilding here was a secondary concern at best.

It's just the geeky part of my brain that has a need to make sense of it.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
If you like movies like The Silence, then you'll like a big budget take. Yeah, Tomorrow War borrows from other films. The Silence borrowed from Quiet Place. Having enjoyed all three, this is a great creature-feature

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you want to see a series that makes.your head spin with the metaphysical aspects of past and future more than this film then try watching "Godzilla Singular Point" on Netflix. I'm nine out of 13 episodes in to it and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is going on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This slipped my mind on initial comment, but I had a similar reaction: The movie is over now right? Why isn’t his movie over? Wow, this movie is *really* not over yet! :)

‘The Tomorrow War’ Review - by Sonny Bunch - Screen Time
At minute 100 or so, The Tomorrow War is, basically, over. The protagonist has suffered a sacrifice, learned a valuable lesson about himself, and procured what is needed to save the world. Understanding this—feeling it really quite deeply in my bones—I said aloud to myself “how the fuck are there 40 minutes left in this movie?”

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This slipped my mind on initial comment, but I had a similar reaction: The movie is over now right? Why isn’t his movie over? Wow, this movie is *really* not over yet! :)

‘The Tomorrow War’ Review - by Sonny Bunch - Screen Time
I can say the thought never entered my mind that it was over. There was no way it could have been thought as over since he hadn't solved the issues with his own father. The Dad stuff in this film was just a lot of Schmaltz to me.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Very derivative film with a lack of originality. There are many great works of science fiction that could be filmed, such as Rendezvous with Rama, The Stainless Steel Rat, The Forever War, many others by Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, Harrison etc etc. Will be interesting to see how The Foundation fares on television.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Very derivative film with a lack of originality. There are many great works of science fiction that could be filmed, such as Rendezvous with Rama, The Stainless Steel Rat, The Forever War, many others by Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, Harrison etc etc. Will be interesting to see how The Foundation fares on television.
Perhaps, but I had a great time watching it anyway.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is not much left that can be done with this type of alien invasion film to be considered originality. I mean how many times can you make something original out of the simple premise of alien invaders wanting to wipe out humanity?

This one had its stupidities:
the big one being a future generation essentially throwing their ancestors, untrained, into a meat grinder
I can't help but think that is some sort of millennial wish fulfillment about the Baby Boom generation; however, that speculation aside, I thought it was one of the better done derivatives in the genre.

At least I didn't hate it as much as one of its forerunners, "Independence Day", which was terrible.

Edit: Sorry. I should have spoilerized part of that.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I had a fun time watching this film yesterday evening. While there are criticisms that can be leveled at the film, such as those already posted; for me the tone of the film sort of inoculated the film from most of those concerns. Basically, I "went with it" and had a very enjoyable viewing experience. Much of the credit for being able to adopt that mindset was due to the presence of Chris Pratt; whom I thought was perfectly cast in his role. Also I have to mention Sam Richardson who had me rolling at times with his reactions and line delivery. Just great. :)

The production design was well done and I thought the creature design really worked in terms of selling the concepts of fear, loathing, and disgust. I liked the idea of
the creatures having been on Earth for a long time and being released due to climate change.
The story elements of the creatures recall aspects of Alien, Predator vs. Alien, and The Thing and I was perfectly fine with those influences.

The time travel elements of the film were a bit messy and I'm not sure they stand up to a lot of scrutiny, but they are also the key to the film's emotional resonance which for me was very effective. ( I am kind of a sucker for that sort of story element.)

Very enjoyable and something I will revisit. Sort of curious to see if there will be a physical media release for this film.

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We watched this on Friday and thought it was perfectly fine for what it was. Probably not something we’re going to revisit but entertaining while it was on. I appreciated that there were a lot of scenes with Chris Pratt trying to work the problem instead of being only one action sequence after another.

At 140 minutes, the pacing felt off - I think this could have lost twenty minutes to half an hour and played a bit better. We were also surprised when the end credits rolled to see that it was credited to a single writer - it felt like a movie written by committee that was gonna have eight names at the end.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There are a number of implausible developments that you have to swallow to buy into the movie:
A lot of sci/fi is like this. There’s a lot of normal gravity on the ship in Aliens. We don’t see it rotating to create gravity, so I don’t know where it comes from. And I don’t worry about it.
It also has an interesting and unconventional structure; there is roughly a half-hour of movie left after the big climactic battle. The engine driving the movie is the problem that needs to be solved, rather than action for action's sake.
I haven’t seen it yet, but this additional time intrigues me.
Terrific popcorn flick. Just suspend disbelief and go along for the ride.
I’ve got a good friend who can’t do this. He almost gets pissed off. He watches a movie with a chip on his shoulder. He watches a movie to find fault with it. He hated Colossus the Forbin Project because he would not accept the movies premise and go with it. So he doesn’t like a lot of movies. I’m showing this JC’s The Thing this week. I told him, with a smile, if he picks this movie to death, I’m done with him. I know he won’t like the ending.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What a disaster of a movie. Five minutes doesn’t go by without a head scratcher or something completely implausible going on. Pratt is fine, I guess, but no one here really shines. Tomorrow War doesn’t have a great, witty script like Independence Day did; it doesn’t scare the crap out of you like Aliens; it’s not a nostalgia trip like Jurassic World. It’s just…well, stupid.

The world comes together to conscript folks with zero military background into a war in th future? All because some humans walk through a time portal onto a soccer field during a game everyone is watching?

Future Muri says the less she talks to Dad, the better. And then ten minutes later she’s spilling her guts to him.

Drafted civilians go into battle with zero military leadership with them on the ground?

Volcano kid…

Years of not talking to Grandpa and all it takes is one asinine trip to Russia to allow young Muri to run into his waiting arms?

I was happy to watch a movie with the fiancé tonight, but that’s about the only thing good here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What a disaster of a movie. Five minutes doesn’t go by without a head scratcher or something completely implausible going on. Pratt is fine, I guess, but no one here really shines. Tomorrow War doesn’t have a great, witty script like Independence Day did; it doesn’t scare the crap out of you like Aliens; it’s not a nostalgia trip like Jurassic World. It’s just…well, stupid.

The world comes together to conscript folks with zero military background into a war in th future? All because some humans walk through a time portal onto a soccer field during a game everyone is watching?

Future Muri says the less she talks to Dad, the better. And then ten minutes later she’s spilling her guts to him.

Drafted civilians go into battle with zero military leadership with them on the ground?

Volcano kid…

Years of not talking to Grandpa and all it takes is one asinine trip to Russia to allow young Muri to run into his waiting arms?

I was happy to watch a movie with the fiancé tonight, but that’s about the only thing good here.
Oh well, that's film appreciation for you.;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ve got a good friend who can’t do this. He almost gets pissed off. He watches a movie with a chip on his shoulder. He watches a movie to find fault with it. He hated Colossus the Forbin Project because he would not accept the movies premise and go with it. So he doesn’t like a lot of movies. I’m showing this JC’s The Thing this week. I told him, with a smile, if he picks this movie to death, I’m done with him. I know he won’t like the ending.
I try not to associate with people like that.

It's funny. I don't think this movie is either as good or as bad as most others here seem to think it is. It's exactly what it is. A silly Action/SciFi flick. Go with it or don't, but don't put too fine a line to the story.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
A mostly entertaining alien invasion flick. Once the action starts it was gripping, but like many have alluded to, a lot of leaps in logic as well.

For example, seemingly the only reason they highlight the volcano kid at the start is so the story can loop back to him near the end to explain some volcano stuff.

That said, I liked how it didn't just end in the future, and actually had some plot to complete in the present.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks