The strangest movie-related discussions ever?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ricardo C, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I was browsing the imdb message board for one of my favorite animated films, The Flight of Dragons (STILL not on DVD, fuckdammit). I found a thread called "Sir Orin - he be dirty!", a 25 post discussion on whether Sir Orin Neville-Smythe was a pedophile because he pledged himself to Melisande when she was a child.

Ok, then.

So, I was motivated to start this thread. What are the most bizarre/absurd movie-related arguments you have witnessed or participated in?

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Not movies exactly, but there were at least two threads on HTF inquiring about ways to protect one's HT from EMP resulting from a nuclear explosion. One was started by an Isreali HTFer in the weeks leading up to the Iraqi War. The other by a US resident a couple of months ago at a time when Iran's nuclear ambitions dominated headlines (to which the latter poster directly referred).

As far as I could tell, both authors were dead serious.

--
    H

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The "Top Gun is a gay movie" discussion was pretty strange, at least for those of us who had never heard that interpretation before. I came away from that realizing any movie with action and men is a gay movie.[​IMG] Then again, every "Citizen Kane (Casablanca, etc.) Sucks" thread is always strange to me (at least until the end, when the original poster always gives up due to the sheer weight of the arguments allied against him/her [​IMG] ).

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    It may not be movie related, but it was definitely silly.

Silica. Salsa.

Need I say more? [​IMG]

5. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

At a Star Wars board I used to frequent, I witnessed tons of bizarre discussions, from Darth Vader's shaving habits to a sexually explicit tribute to the alien Taun We. But one that may go down as the most mind-numbingly ridiculous was a discussion about how the Jango Fett clones were somehow "offensive Mexican stereotypes". [​IMG]

6. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I once participated in a thread where someone casually said that like Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen too could claim to have been killed by an Alien, Predator and Terminator.

Due to Henriksen's AI status in "Aliens" and "Alien3", a debate quickly arose on the definition of "life". I maintained that Bishop wasn't alive and thus couldn't be considered "killed" by an Alien (not to mention the fact that he "survives" the Alien attack in "Aliens" and asks to be deactivated by Ripley in "Alien3") and supported my claim with such evidence as the scientifically-accepted definition of life and the concept of the "Chinese Room".

The "Bishop is alive" camp basically said that intelligence equals life, and when I would point out that many lifeforms such as plants have no intelligence they tried to rationalize some degree of intelligence in said brainless lifeforms. Someone literally said that osmosis was proof of intelligence in single-cell organisms. I also pointed out that the brain is just another organ and that an artificial brain never transcends it's "artificial" status any more than the artificial wing on an airplane makes it a bird.

Anyways, it was a pretty geeky argument and I'm not exactly proud of it but it could have been a lot worse, I could have been one of the guys whose best argument was "Bishop is more alive than a plant because I would cry if something happened to him".

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

[​IMG]

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Yeah, what kind of freak does that??? *looks around Star Wars thread, finding lots of guilty glances* [​IMG]

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Congrats - this is probably THE geekiest discussion ever! [​IMG]

10. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

This was probably brought to you buy resident HTFer Tim Glover.

[​IMG]

I can't remember if this was here or somewhere else, but I recall someone asking why the eagles from LOTR: ROTK didn't just take the rings and drop them off into Mt. Doom in the first place.

11. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Whether Roy Neary (Close Encounters of the Third Kind) was transformed into an alien at the end (Special Edition) ... or was he?

- Colton

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I don't think that's a strange discussion - it makes perfect sense given the film's conclusion...

13. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    I was in a crowded Georgetown bar in 2001 and started talking to my cousin about the Star Wars prequels and mentioned that the clones of the "Clone Wars" were cloned from Boba Fett. After about 5 minutes, there were no less than 30 people involved in the discussion, yelling things like "Where do you hear this shit?" to "I thought they cloned the Jedi because they were being hunted down and destroyed by Vader and the Emperor" (which would have been totally sweet). Yelling "Boba Fett!" and seeing a totally hot girl roll her eyes made me realize I was a total geek and the discussion should never have taken place.

14. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    SON OF FRANKENSTEIN

Certain message boards thinks the monster and Ygor were lovers.

FRIDAY THE 13th 3

In the film a pregnant woman gets killed by Jason. On a certain message board I once read a debate on whether Jason would have killed her had he known she was pregnant. Some tried to argue that Jason would have probably raised the child on his own had he known she was pregnant.

15. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

That has to be the same Friday board I frequent from time to time. There was also a discussion on whether or not Jason raped the main character, Chris, in that movie.

The funniest discussions come up when people try to reconcile the mess that was the Halloween continuity after H20.

16. WillG

WillG Producer

One could easilly write an entire volume of books on strange Star Wars discussions. Years ago a buddy and I debated on whether or not the Death Star had its own mass transit system.

17. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I could be wrong, but weren't the clones actually of Jango Fett and Boba was the one he was allowed to keep in an un-altered state? Perhaps she was rolling her eyes because of your error......... [​IMG]

18. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer

At the time, I thought it was Boba. If she gave me the eye roll for mixing up the names, I think I missed out on my soulmate.