What's new

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
No, the studios did not strike different transfers for each format. However, in some cases the encoding may have been better on one format than the other. Same underlying master, though.

I'm not sure about that in the case of The Sting: the HD-DVD had instances of scratches and minus density which the blu "fixed". To me the HD looked more like film. It may have been the same transfer, but it was worked on digitally in between.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
My post way back about the red/brown box seems to have stirred up many memories !!.
All I recall is trying to use my Toshiba which wouldn't work without the remote which I lost when we moved.
Into the bin it went!!
Back to the Sting, any released date yet???.
I need a new fix of 4k !!

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I'm not sure about that in the case of The Sting: the HD-DVD had instances of scratches and minus density which the blu "fixed". To me the HD looked more like film. It may have been the same transfer, but it was worked on digitally in between.

Fair enough. There was a five year delay between the HD DVD and the Blu-ray, I believe.

As I recall, Universal also added some extra DNR to the initial Blu-ray release of Apollo 13.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Fair enough. There was a five year delay between the HD DVD and the Blu-ray, I believe.

As I recall, Universal also added some extra DNR to the initial Blu-ray release of Apollo 13.
And The Thing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This movie is one of and may be the first “adult” movie I saw at the movies. BTW why doesn’t anyone say “at the movies” anymore it’s always “at theaters”. Anyway I digress.

I was 9 when my mom took me to see this.
Hoping my iTunes redeemed copy gets the upgrade when it comes out..

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
The Sting in 4K UHD will arrive from Universal on May 18 ! :) :banana:
285436_large.jpg
Here is the cover art ! ;)

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Thank you for the kind words about this site, but we're not infallible as many people on this forum are not as discriminatory with their video and audio critiques as some others. That's particularly true for those of us that don't view our movies on a large projector screen in which many questionable video presentations are easier to detect than some one viewing the same disc on a 50" screen.
I bought the Bluray back in 2012/'13 and viewed it on my 40" Phillips LCD TV. It looked like a modern flick shot in HD video and then processed to give it the "film look", except there was no "film look" to spk of... I immediately wished I had rented the disc from Netflix first. (That, or read Robert Harris' review beforehand). At the time, I still operated on the woefully mistaken idea that the studio would make the effort to do right by one of (or any of) its greatest classics.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I've never understood the appeal of this slight film and I've always thought it looks like a TV show. Not a non-stage bound moment in the film. Why was this empty thing so popular?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've never understood the appeal of this slight film and I've always thought it looks like a TV show. Not a non-stage bound moment in the film. Why was this empty thing so popular?

Because you aren’t anyone else but yourself but you should be able to understand why people think highly of The Sting.

I love it.
It’s fun.
Has great chracters
The story is terrific.
It’s filmed brillintly
It looks beautiful.
The score is an all time iconic score.
Despite that ending its rewatchable forever.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Films appeal to people for all sorts of reasons. Whether or not it "looks like a TV show" or has a "non-stage bound moment" is probably not among them. The Sting may not be a ground-breaking, dazzling piece of cinema that will make you feel that you've spent 2 hours in the presence of artistic greatness, but it doesn't have to be. All it has to do is manage to provide a satisfying helping of enjoyment for a goodly number of people, and The Sting definitely does that.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Films appeal to people for all sorts of reasons. Whether or not it "looks like a TV show" or has a "non-stage bound moment" is probably not among them. The Sting may not be a ground-breaking, dazzling piece of cinema that will make you feel that you've spent 2 hours in the presence of artistic greatness, but it doesn't have to be. All it has to do is manage to provide a satisfying helping of enjoyment for a goodly number of people, and The Sting definitely does that.
My high school Drama teacher recommended it - even though she wasn't particularly a fan of movies in general.

Reactions: PMF

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Because you aren’t anyone else but yourself but you should be able to understand why people think highly of The Sting.

I love it.
It’s fun.
Has great chracters
The story is terrific.
It’s filmed brillintly
It looks beautiful.
The score is an all time iconic score.
Despite that ending its rewatchable forever.
I’ll add that it has one of the best scenes in any film- the card game that pits Newman against Shaw.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was a gigantic audience pleaser in its day. I saw the original theatrical release in a packed house, and there were enthusiastic shouts throughout the film when positive things happened to Johnny or Henry. Surprises on top of surprises abounded for us. I went back to it the next weekend to study more carefully how I was so artfully fooled by the ending. The screenplay's construction is really quite astounding.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

I'm not really sure what you mean by "it looks like a TV show" and am I missing your meaning of non-stage bound moments? I mean, there are many scenes with period automobiles you might not see on stage. There's a chase scene at an elevated train stop with Hooker being chased by Snyder. And the train stations in Chicago.

Also, I did see a stage production of this in Los Angeles once. And before the pandemic there was a musical version that they were trying out with Harry Connick in it, so stage bound isn't really a criticism.

By the way, the stage version has a new con for the audience of it's very own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks