What's new

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
American Graffiti is the coming of age classic from the early 1970s, written and directed by George Lucas, makes its debut on 4K disc.

American Graffiti (1973)

Released: 11 Aug 1973
Rated: PG
Runtime: 110 min

Director: George Lucas
Genre: Comedy, Drama

Cast: Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Paul Le Mat
Writer(s): George Lucas, Gloria Katz, Willard Huyck

Plot: A group of teenagers in California's central valley spend one final night after their 1962 high school graduation cruising the strip with their buddies before they pursue their varying goals.

IMDB rating: 7.4
MetaScore: 97

Disc Information

Studio: Universal
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with your review but expect some others to disagree with you, particularly about this 4K/UHD having excessive DNR applied to it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is it true it no longer has the CG sky in the opening shot? I never minded that shot, it was pretty minor and it did enhance the picture.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Timothy thanks for the review, American Graffiti is one of my favorite films from the 70's. I still have the old BR so will be picking up the 4K UHD.:cool:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve only seen this once before, way back when it was first released on DVD and I rented it from Hastings Entertainment so I’m looking forward to a proper 4K viewing when I get home this weekend.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I’ve only seen this once before, way back when it was first released on DVD and I rented it from Hastings Entertainment so I’m looking forward to a proper 4K viewing when I get home this weekend.
This isn't a very good example of 'proper' 4K.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not certain what some are talking about re type of film stock. In 1972 there was but a single domestic (Kodak) stock - 5254 - that was used for all productions based upon color negative. While grain structure could appear different based upon exposure and processing, generally 54 was what it was, and this 4k, being OCN derived, would be more highly resolved than prints struck by blow-up matrices.

Last edited:

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Small correction: the poster artwork was by Mort Drucker, not Jack Davis. (Both were heavyweights at MAD Magazine.)

You have a sharp eye for artistic style. Thank you for the correction! Although multiple online sources erroneously identify Jack Davis as the artist, I agree with you that the artist was Mort Drucker. I have corrected this error in the review.

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
I went to see this Christmas night of 1973 and deciding that it was my favorite part of that particular Christmas. So much going for this film, and the soundtrack!! I wish they still made movies like this, so much has changed, esp. in film making. Lucas, one of the greatest of all time! Now, if i only could be as young as Iwas when first seeing that movie, wouldn't that be grerat. Could it really be 50 years already?

Real Name
Rolf Skrinde
I was with a good friend of mine the moment he saw the CG sky on disc the last go around, and he was appalled. Really upsetting that Lucas still doesn't care about authenticity or respect history (don't get me started on the Star Wars trilogy). Harumph.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I was with a good friend of mine the moment he saw the CG sky on disc the last go around, and he was appalled. Really upsetting that Lucas still doesn't care about authenticity (don't get me started on the Star Wars trilogy). Harumph.
I think I’m most appalled by what he did to THX 1138.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Received my copy yesterday and based on various reports of it being highly DNR'd I'm not sure if I should return it or not.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
I saw the running time on DVD Beaver’s review as 110 min, whereas the 1978 re-releases are 113 min. Which version is on the 4K?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks