What's new

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The screenplay's construction is really quite astounding.
Someone asked me once that "if I know the ending how can you watch it again" and I thought that pretty strange because lots of people watch movies they like over and over again that they've seen before. I like the journey of laying out all the puzzle pieces and then watching them all snap into place.

Besides Newman and Redford, there's a whole slew of fascinating known and lesser known character actors in it like Charles Durning, Harold Gould and Ray Walston. Not to mention the wonderful Eileen Brennan. And if you watch it over and over, study the set decoration that Henry Bumstead was in charge of. (Art director/set decoration.) It's so meticulous you'd think it was really filmed back in the 1930's.

That just made me realize that in a couple years this film will mark it's 50th Anniversary. Yikes!

vic1964

Auditioning
Real Name
victor
It's pure cinema to me. I was lucky enough to see it at 3 different Movie Palaces in the 70's when I was a kid who didn't know how good we had it. Carbon arc projection and warm tube amplification were still the norm at these single screen palaces that had showmanship to spare! It was a great follow up to Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid for Newman, Redford, and director George Roy Hill.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I happened to note this article on Cinema Blend written earlier this year:

Thoughts? Mine: OMG! Nooooooooooo.
As much as I would frown upon a Sting remake, a rumor of a Jaws bastardization is out there, and that would be even more
of a potential disaster. There are some films that are fine or perfect the way they are, and a remake couldn’t hold a candle to the original. Jaws is definitely the poster board for this.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
As much as I would frown upon a Sting remake, a rumor of a Jaws bastardization is out there, and that would be even more
of a potential disaster. There are some films that are fine or perfect the way they are, and a remake couldn’t hold a candle to the original. Jaws is definitely the poster board for this.
Jaws GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

OK I'll bite :D!

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
You shouldn't be as many people don't have issues with excessive DNR nor if a movie doesn't look like film on disc.
Also, a LOT of people are watching TVs with the damn 120hz/"smooth-motion" setting on (which is how most of them come and/or are showcased in stores), which makes most movies look like one of those old shot-on-videotape 70's soap operas ---- so it's no wonder...

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Also, a LOT of people are watching TVs with the damn 120hz/"smooth-motion" setting on (which is how most of them come and/or are showcased in stores), which makes most movies look like one of those old shot-on-videotape 70's soap operas ---- so it's no wonder...
To be fair, TVs come preset this way. I had to look up how to change it when I got my 4k set.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I personally didn't find it too grainy. I did find that some scenes seemed darker than they should have been. Otherwise, I was pleased with the 4K stream via my Apple TV.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
No, the studios did not strike different transfers for each format. However, in some cases the encoding may have been better on one format than the other. Same underlying master, though.
This. I have the HD DVD of The Thing, which suffered a similar fate when the BD was released. Thankfully, Scream Factory released an even better harvest and master.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This. I have the HD DVD of The Thing, which suffered a similar fate when the BD was released. Thankfully, Scream Factory released an even better harvest and master.
Although this is on a tangent: Arrow's 4K remastered edition is noticeably better. It's hinted that it will be coming out on a 4K UHD on one or the other side of the pond this year - in time for Halloween?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Although this is on a tangent: Arrow's 4K remastered edition is noticeably better. It's hinted that it will be coming out on a 4K UHD on one or the other side of the pond this year - in time for Halloween?
The Scream Factory Steelbook is a 2K downrez from the 4K master.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks