What's new

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
The Sting (1973) Best Picture. Being released in May 2021 ! No other details available at this time. Great News ! : )
THE STING.jpg

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It's not great news unless they've completely from scratch redone the wretched Blu-ray transfer.
I watched the BluRay recently. I thought it looked fine. Do you not like it because the colors are wrong, in your opinion?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So far, Universal seems to have a lot more right than wrong with their UHD releases. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Color is fine - it's been sharpened to death, DNR'd to death, and looks nothing like film.
Looks like Universal has fixed all those problems on their upcoming Do The Right Thing 4K UHD (I know you are wary of looking at screen captures on a computer screen). 10 years ago, Universal's blu- rays all looked pretty horrible when projected. So I would expect The Sting to have a new 4K scan and appropriate mastering this time round.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm surprised that anyone thinks the current Blu-ray disc is satisfactory. I think it's atrocious. I very much hope that Universal gets it right with this new transfer.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I'm surprised that anyone thinks the current Blu-ray disc is satisfactory. I think it's atrocious. I very much hope that Universal gets it right with this new transfer.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I consider the current BluRay of A Clockwork Orange to be substandard- soft contrasts, and lackluster colors (it may be an accurate transfer of what the film should look like, but it’s not a pretty sight IMO). The current BluRay of The Sting has nice looking colors, and the contrasts don’t look like mush, so I think it looks OK.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You shouldn't be as many people don't have issues with excessive DNR nor if a movie doesn't look like film on disc.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
You shouldn't be as many people don't have issues with excessive DNR nor if a movie doesn't look like film on disc.
Generally speaking, I would agree with you. But on this forum there seem to be many people who care a lot about the video and audio quality. In contrast to many other websites and print media, I trust the opinions from the insiders here and find many of the discussions insightful.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Generally speaking, I would agree with you. But on this forum there seem to be many people who care a lot about the video and audio quality. In contrast to many other websites and print media, I trust the opinions from the insiders here and find many of the discussions insightful.
Thank you for the kind words about this site, but we're not infallible as many people on this forum are not as discriminatory with their video and audio critiques as some others. That's particularly true for those of us that don't view our movies on a large projector screen in which many questionable video presentations are easier to detect than some one viewing the same disc on a 50" screen.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I wouldn't be surprised at that any more than I would be surprised that someone might like a movie that I hated.

Opinions are opinions. Things that bother one person doesn't bother another. Some people's eyes (and ears) are have greater acuity than another's. There are a lot of reasons why one person might not notice something that another does.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was a better transfer than the Blu-ray transfer, but my HD-DVD went bad and wouldn't play any more. That's why I had to buy the Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks