What's new

The Saint Possibly Coming from Shout! in April 2015 (1 Viewer)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The Kilmer Saint film is available in us on iTunes. It’s on my wish list to buy when there is a price break.

I would buy the film on blu ray for sure too. I really want to see the alternate ending to the film too!

regarding the color on the Roger Moore set, it’s been a while since I’ve watched them. I’ll have to give them a watch. I have the UK dvd set from Network.

thanks for bumping this thread too. I always need a good excuse to watch The Saint! I was watching some of the black and white episodes a few weeks ago. They are on Amazon Prime too.

I think the Kilmer Saint deserves good extras and I think Shout Select would be a good choice to get the title for blu-ray since the original cut of the movie has a climatic sequence cut (plus Elisabeth Shue's character has a different ending than the final version) from the movie and you can see a glimpse of it in the theatrical trailer. This movie deserves a good special edition with many extras on blu-ray

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think the Kilmer Saint deserves good extras and I think Shout Select would be a good choice to get the title for blu-ray since the original cut of the movie has a climatic sequence cut (plus Elisabeth Shue's character has a different ending than the final version) from the movie and you can see a glimpse of it in the theatrical trailer. This movie deserves a good special edition with many extras on blu-ray

agreed!!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
A little off topic, I hope Shout does get the rights to release The Saint movie on blu-ray because it would make a great movie to release as part of their Shout Selects series.

Getting back to topic, I do wish the color masters used for The Saint were a little better and a good remastering to blu-ray would be wonderful for Saint TV show fans

So I ended up watching a bit of the network color Dvd set, the blu ray set which includes one episode of the saint and then I looked at the shout factory website. While the black and white episodes are free on prime the color are indeed locked behind shout tv subscription.

No question the blu ray of ex king of diamonds looks fantastic. I agree with Worth on the color episodes dvd from network. They look a bit rough now. Lots of noise in the picture. Too many episodes on one dvd?

so my ranking is this: Blu Ray (only one episode on the persuaders set), shout factory tv then a distant 3rd is the network dvd.

question for me is whether I will upgrade to the Shout dvd set it if I will wait and hope the rest of the series comes to Blu Ray soon. Paramount’s Chris Pine Saint movie May help with this process too.

thanks all!!!

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I rather have Shout Factory license the movie because I think they will do better with the extras than Paramount now. i hope they get the rights since Scream Factory has got the license to release Event Horizon (and recently Escape from LA).

Also I saw all of The Saint episodes are available for streaming through at least the Roku channel (and maybe even Tubi since there is a Shout Factory selection on there).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I rather have Shout Factory license the movie because I think they will do better with the extras than Paramount now. i hope they get the rights since Scream Factory has got the license to release Event Horizon (and recently Escape from LA).

Also I saw all of The Saint episodes are available for streaming through at least the Roku channel (and maybe even Tubi since there is a Shout Factory selection on there).

thanks for the info on Tubi! I created an account.

I may buy the Digital version of The Saint movie shortly using the vudu disc to digital program. $5

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m curious why the persuaders and the saint are not available in digital.

I’m tempted to pick up the shout factory dvd set as the prints are better than network but I feel like this is a show that will come to digital soon. Also I’m holding out a bit of hope that the series is put out in HD.

I love the persuaders Blu ray set so I’m good there. Just curious why it’s not available in digital.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The Saint isn't for sale, but it's available on streaming:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I’m tempted to pick up the shout factory dvd set as the prints are better than network.

When you say the Shout! prints are better, are you referencing only the color episodes, only the B/W episodes, or both?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks, I currently own the Network B/W episodes. My curiosity was directed at only those.

I will commence with a black and white comparison.

My debate is that I own them and digital is eventually coming. Hopefully in HD

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I will commence with a black and white comparison.

My debate is that I own them and digital is eventually coming. Hopefully in HD

Understood. I have no interest in the digital versions, but was surprised when you stated the Shout! look better than then the Network versions. I recall hearing the color episodes were faded, but thought the Network b/w episodes were well received. Not on topic, but a curiosity on my part.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Understood. I have no interest in the digital versions, but was surprised when you stated the Shout! look better than then the Network versions. I recall hearing the color episodes were faded, but thought the Network b/w episodes were well received. Not on topic, but a curiosity on my part.

I believe Shout did some new mastering. The color episodes was quite noticeable.

One other thought as I compared tubi through Apple TV 4K with the network dvd set. It does appear to me that there is a bit of softness on the dvd set compared to the Digital versions on Tubi. I believe the digital versions on Tubi are the same as what Shout is using?

I watched The Talented Husband and went back and forth between Tubi and my old network dvd set. I feel that the digital version on Tubi is more clear in picture than the network dvd set. It’s probably not too noticeable but I did see some difference between the 2 sources.

I do believe Tubinis using the same masters as the newer ITV logo is on shout factory streaming episodes from their site and the same ITV log is present on the Tubi versions as well.

I also noted that there is no mention of new mastering in the shout factory site for the dvd set.

Could the difference come down to software encoding of the network set I wonder.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Just announced that paramount is bringing it to Blu ray in January.

I’m still on the fence on the Saint Roger moore shout factory set. I’d really like to order them on blu ray and I hope it happens soon.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I pulled the trigger on the Shout Factory complete series as well as Danger Man for the 40% off. Are they better transfers than the A&E sets? That's all I've had for years but lost them in a fire. I mean, I have the Network DVDs but the time compression is a tad annoying.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I pulled the trigger on the Shout Factory complete series as well as Danger Man for the 40% off. Are they better transfers than the A&E sets? That's all I've had for years but lost them in a fire. I mean, I have the Network DVDs but the time compression is a tad annoying.

Yes. I believe the shout factory set has improved transfers.

I did my comparison with the network Uk sets.

I hope Blu ray sets are in the works soon.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I received my Shout/Timeless box sets of The Saint and Danger Man. The Saint looks...okay. The color episodes, at any rate, look pretty compressed. They also only have the movie version of Vendetta for the Saint rather than the original broadcast two-part version.

Danger Man looks better but the sound on two of the three episodes I checked was awful. The Not-So-Jolly Roger and Koroshi sound like they're being broadcast from under 6 feet of water. A quick comparison with the old A&E sets is disappointing. The A&E look the same and sound MUCH better. This wasn't an upgrade at all. Even at 40% off, it they were still a nice chunka change. For that money, I was expecting better than I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks