What's new

The Rookie (ABC - Seasons 1-4) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Happy to see Melissa O'Neil in another series (after the demise of Dark Matter on SyFy).

- Walter.
Was coming here to say the same. :)

Also, I liked seeing Richard T Jones, long time ago Bruce van Exel on Judging Amy, as Sgt Wades.

So the Wife recorded it, as she was a Castle fan. I watched it tonight and enjoyed it too. So we’ll have it in the dinner / casual mix.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys- I’ve been watching this series, only missed the episode prior to the break, so I missed that cliffhanger. But I saw the second part. The second part with the investigation into John’s story of his shooting and then self defense in his home seems to go beyond what we are told about this character. When he lied to the investigating officer to protect officer Lucy Chen and their secret/not so secret relationship, it seemed outside of what he’d do. He wanted to tell the truth but then let Lucy talk him out so they both don’t get fired. Sure, they are young rookies who don’t want to ruin their careers. I’m guessing this will come back to bite them.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've been playing 'catch up' with this series after letting it languish for awhile on the DVR. Recently finished the second half of the two-parter. Hard to say whether or not John's lie will be a story element in the future. ( It does seem likely that their continued association will complicate their careers. You lie about her being present one evening and then she comes over again. WTF? :) )

My take away from those episodes was that it was a mechanism for presenting a grittier view of the series and showing the world in shades of grey and less black and white. Getting back into the series after taking a break.

- Walter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hey guys- I’ve been watching this series, only missed the episode prior to the break, so I missed that cliffhanger. But I saw the second part. The second part with the investigation into John’s story of his shooting and then self defense in his home seems to go beyond what we are told about this character. When he lied to the investigating officer to protect officer Lucy Chen and their secret/not so secret relationship, it seemed outside of what he’d do. He wanted to tell the truth but then let Lucy talk him out so they both don’t get fired. Sure, they are young rookies who don’t want to ruin their careers. I’m guessing this will come back to bite them.
I thought the “lie” was resolved as far as being a further plot point. John was helpful in the bust at the end and the officer investigation (who was convinced he lied) decided to let it drop.

Is it my imagination or have the humorous opportunities for Fillion increased slightly as the series has progressed?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed it appears Johns actions convinced the investigating officer to drop the pursuit of the lie. But I think it’s still going to have repercussions. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Agreed it appears Johns actions convinced the investigating officer to drop the pursuit of the lie. But I think it’s still going to have repercussions. :)
Only if it doesn't get cancelled.;) Seriously, if it's going to have repercussions then both of them would get fired for lying in a police investigation and the show ends.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Call me old fashion but wasn't there a time when the lead of your show, an authority figure, a role model, didn't tell straight-faced lies to their bosses?

This has pretty much always happened on what used to be called "pay cable," because the lie was the edge you paid extra for, but as far as scripted network dramas, it hurt to see the hero lying like that. Time after time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Call me old fashion but wasn't there a time when the lead of your show, an authority figure, a role model, didn't tell straight-faced lies to their bosses?

This has pretty much always happened on what used to be called "pay cable," because the lie was the edge you paid extra for, but as far as scripted network dramas, it hurt to see the hero lying like that. Time after time.
Yes, you're old fashion.;)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was around Capital Cities/ABC for many years, reading MOWS and teleplays, and one of the cardinal sins that either got your script rejected or demanded a rewrite was an authority figure hero (cop, doctor, lawyer) telling blatant lies. So yes, I may be old fashioned, but I wasn't alone (for a long time). Sad to see that role-model standard eroded (in more ways than one).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was around ABC for many years, reading screenplays and teleplays, and one of the cardinal sins that either got your script rejected or demanded a rewrite was an authority figure hero (cop, doctor, lawyer) telling blatant lies. So yes, I may be old fashioned, but I wasn't alone (for a long time). Sad to see that standard go (in more ways than one).
IMO, they weren't being realistic as authority figures have always lied just like anybody else.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Then they weren't being realistic as authority figures have always lied just like anybody else.
It wasn't about being realistic.

There was a poll at the time, when they asked elementary school kids what percentage of the population were doctors and what percentage were cops. The kids' inflated numbers matched almost precisely with the percentage of cop and doctor shows on TV at the time. TV created a reality for them.

All the movers and shakers at Cap Cities/ABC felt in their heart the right thing to do at the time was portray these heroes with integrity. I'm simply making an observation that to me it's sad to see that value system being eroded. There was a stronger sense of moral responsibility than there appears to be now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never stopped talking about THE ROOKIE. It was the hero of THE ROOKIE repeatedly lying to his bosses that brought my topic up.
I'm done talking about lying as I wish I never quoted your post as it's not an important topic for me.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The topic of lying was already being discussed before my original post. I didn't bring the topic up. I'm simply trying to present one aspect of its ramifications in an open-minded way the generates discussion (as opposed to trying to misdirect or stifle it).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The topic of lying was already being discussed before my original post. I didn't bring the topic up. I'm simply trying to present one aspect of its ramifications in an open-minded way the generates discussion (as opposed to trying to misdirect or stifle it).
If you or anybody else wants to discuss it then go ahead, but I'm done with it.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I never bought into the activity that created the need for deception. To me, it almost borders on creepiness. He is middle aged and she is a new recruit. It just seems predator/creepy to me. Otherwise I really enjoy this show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never bought into the activity that created the need for deception. To me, it almost borders on creepiness. He is middle aged and she is a new recruit. It just seems predator/creepy to me. Otherwise I really enjoy this show.
How old do you think she is in the show? I'm thinking she is about 25 or 26. His character is in his early 40's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks