What's new

Hulu Reboot (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just discovered this show on Hulu. It's from "Modern Family" co-creator Steven Levitan and "Party Down" co-creator John Enbom.

Rachel Korman plays Hannah Korman, a screenwriter who's made a name for herself with edgy indie fare. She successfully pitches Hulu on a continuation of "Step Right Up", a popular network sitcom from twenty years ago, but updated with more morally complicated characters and less broad humor.

Paul Reiser plays Gordon Gelman, Hannah's estranged father. Gordon created the original "Step Right Up" and uses his intellectual property rights as leverage to elbow his way in as co-showrunner.

While a generation divide is playing out in the writers' room between Hannah's hires and Gordon's hires, the reunited cast is dealing with the consequences of the past decade and a half, which didn't turn out the way any of them hoped. Keegan-Michael Key plays Reed Sterling, a pretentious Yale-trained actor who played the stepfather on the original series but left the show for a film career that never materialized. Johnny Knoxville plays Clay Barber, the raunchy stand-up comedian who played the ex-husband on the original series but is now navigating the fallout of a life that went completely off the rails. Judy Greer plays Bree Marie Jensen, who was the wife and mom on the original series. After the show ended, she took the Grace Kelly route and became the duchess of a small Nordic country. But now she's lost everything in the divorce. And Calum Worthy pays Zack Jackon, who had been the cute kid in the original series but now finds himself out of his depth trying to book more adult roles.

And then there's Krista Marie Yu as Elaine Kim, a software engineer who improbably became, through a series of tech mergers, the new vice president of comedy for Hulu.

It's not razor sharp satire by any means, but it's edgier than Levitan could get away with on ABC, and it continues the recent renaissance of great roles for Paul Reiser. I'm four episodes in, and it's warm and funny and I like most of the characters.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I felt like the show did a great job progressing the characters as the season went on.

My only gripe was that it wasn't clear what the set up of the original "Step Right Up" sitcom was, or maybe I just missed it. So I couldn't figure out how the stepfamily was set up, and why both dads were around. And maybe some of that was to set up the "twist" ending of the pilot, but since I hadn't made all of the proper connections, the ending fell a little flat for me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My only gripe was that it wasn't clear what the set up of the original "Step Right Up" sitcom was, or maybe I just missed it. So I couldn't figure out how the stepfamily was set up, and why both dads were around. And maybe some of that was to set up the "twist" ending of the pilot, but since I hadn't made all of the proper connections, the ending fell a little flat for me.
From what I understand, the plot of the original "Step Right Up" was basically a sitcom version of the Will Ferrell movie Daddy's Home, with Keegan-Michael Key's character playing the Will Ferrell role and Johnny Knoxville's character playing the Mark Wahlberg role. Knoxville's character's character and Greer's character's character were divorced but Knoxville's character lived next door or across the street or in an in-law apartment was dropping in all of the time.

And then the dark twist of the reboot is that Key's character's character had a secret family before that he'd abandoned to marry Greer's character's character -- mirroring what happened to Hannah. Now Worthy's character's character is all grown up and living in either the basement or over the garage, but otherwise the formula is unchanged until the introduction of Key's character's character's daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks