What's new

The Rifleman Season Sets in 2013 ? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Wow! That sold out quick! I did notice it wasn't in stock at Amazon the day my order arrived but it never occurred to me to check North Fork's Rifleman site. They've even taken down the page! That makes me incredibly glad I didn't hesitate to order a copy!

For all of you who didn't get a copy, I hope it comes back in stock! I'd like to think selling out that quickly would show them there's a market for that set as well as the "bargain" editions.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
St. Louis Cardinals star Stan "The Man" Musial visited Chuck Connors on The Rifleman's set on April 16, 1959...of course, Chuck Connors was himself a former MLB player, having played for the Brooklyn Dodgers and Chicago Cubs...and apparently he was also played some basketball for the Boston Celtics!
29791079_1712708988752290_2565323426727122492_n.jpg

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am working a job and as circumstances have it, am using a colleagues laptop. Looks like he has the first ten episodes of THE RIFLEMAN season one on here. They appear to be off Encore. Anyway, since I have time on my hands between setups, I think I am going to watch and comment on the first ten episodes of The Rifleman!

101 Sharpshooter.JPG

101. “The Sharpshooter” I love the pilot, mostly because of the relationship between Mark and the Dennis Hopper character. But in the end, it’s the father/son relationship that brings me back to this series again and again.

101a Sharpshooter.jpg

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
102. “Home Ranch” I love how both sides could win by simply killing the other, and both have equal opportunity to do so, yet neither do. I’m not sure I buy the baddie giving in at the end, but I sure do like the message, something I’m not so sure we would see on network TV today.

102 Home ranch.JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
103 “End of a Young Gun” One of my favorites of the entire series. Michael Landon sells the transformation of his character beautifully, and the episode uses a technique at the end I love: Landon’s character goes off to make amends with the law. We're not sure exactly how it’s going to come out, but it imbues the series with the idea that life goes on after the episodes, and in this case, I just know he came back and had a great life with the girl.

103 End of a Young Gun.JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
104 “The Marshall”

Nice to see Micah make his entrance. I never got that he called Lucas “Lucas Boy” for the first time when Lucas was actually acting like a boy. And it stuck! I love noticing new things in shows I grew up with.

104 The Marshall.JPG

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
103 “End of a Young Gun” One of my favorites of the entire series. Michael Landon sells the transformation of his character beautifully, and the episode uses a technique at the end I love: Landon’s character goes off to make amends with the law. We're not sure exactly how it’s going to come out, but it imbues the series with the idea that life goes on after the episodes, and in this case, I just know he came back and had a great life with the girl.

View attachment 46733
PROClassicTV has all of the episodes up on YouTube (I believe they distribute them to Hulu as well) in full length and fairly good quality if you don't mind the small logo at the bottom of the screen. I haven't watched it in several years, but seeing Michael Landon piqued my interest. I'm sorry it's taken this long to revisit the show.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
108 “The Safe Guard”

Boy from the start of this episode, I believed Claude Akins’s gunfighter character. He was so good in this.

108c.JPG

And nice to see Addie again interacting with Mark.

108b.JPG

I'm really enjoying these episodes! I'm sad there's only two more episodes on this laptop....man these are good.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wonderful that you are revisiting The Rifleman early episodes, Alan. The series is a great one overall, and I do love the McCain family Father and Son centrality of it's story arc in the face of frontier adversity. And Sheriff Micah and his struggles against drinking and the intimidation of various thugs and cattle bosses. But those early Rifleman episodes are special. When I first re-watched them in the 1980s, probably 20 years after last seeing them in reruns, I was shocked at the violence in the first three episodes or so. Pretty strong stuff for American network tv in 1958. As jeff said, all the film making hallmarks of the incipient Sam Peckinpah are certainly evident. As they are in the brilliant 1960 Four Star follow up, Brian Keith's The Westerner.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Wonderful that you are revisiting The Rifleman early episodes, Alan. The series is a great one overall, and I do love the McCain family Father and Son centrality of it's story arc in the face of frontier adversity. And Sheriff Micah and his struggles against drinking and the intimidation of various thugs and cattle bosses. But those early Rifleman episodes are special. When I first re-watched them in the 1980s, probably 20 years after last seeing them in reruns, I was shocked at the violence in the first three episodes or so. Pretty strong stuff for American network tv in 1958. But all the film making hallmarks of the incipient Sam Peckinpah are certainly evident. As they are in the brilliant 1960 Four Star follow up, Brian Keith's The Westerner.
Somebody made a mashup on YouTube of every bad guy McCain killed throughout the series and it's pretty horrific to watch. I saw it a few years ago. I tried to find it just now but perhaps it was taken down.

109 “The Sister”

I had the exact same look on my face the first time I saw Sherry Jackson. It was on Star Trek. :)

109.JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
110 “New Orleans Menace”

Is the portrait behind McCain a photo of his wife? I think it must be, because after he checks that Mark is safely asleep, he always goes and sits by the picture. A nice image to end my brief ten-episode run on.

110.JPG

I think I’m gonna watch more of this fantastic show soon, after I finish Mayberry RFD and do a season of Magnum PI. :)

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
108 “The Safe Guard”

Boy from the start of this episode, I believed Claude Akins’s gunfighter character. He was so good in this.

View attachment 46772

And nice to see Addie again interacting with Mark.

View attachment 46771
I'm really enjoying these episodes! I'm sad there's only two more episodes on this laptop....man these are good.
My mother was watching that one Saturday night with me. The first words out of her mouth were "Claude Akins was sure young there!" I told her, yes, it was the late 50's, long before he became Sheriff Lobo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks