1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Rifleman Season Sets in 2013 ?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by silverking, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    He might not've killed anyone, but he's sure giving the evil eye! :eek::lol:

Jeff Flugel, Carabimero and Flashgear like this.
  2. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Quite a few, if memory serves. But he makes up for it later with the occasional "trifecta," as the video Bob posted above puts it.

Carabimero, Flashgear and Bob Gu like this.
  3. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer

Alan
    112 "The Englishman"

20180605-194714.JPG

Lucas's method of claiming his calf was ingenious. It's a perfect example of why I love and respect his character so much.

Here are two more. We were just talking about trifectas. After killing multiple men, Lucas makes a very clear, emphatic point to Mark: "It was a last resort, son."

Then Lucas says something I love about America, something I love to think about even more in recent days. He asks the Englishman to take a piece of land for his own, explaining that in this country "everyone is welcome."

Some of these episodes are gems, truly.

Darby67, Jeff Flugel, Jeff*H and 2 others like this.
  4. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer

Alan
    I've said this before, but it bears repeating: This soundtrack is magnificent. To say it is my favorite TV soundtrack of all time would be a stretch in the face of Star Trek TOS and The Fugitive 1960s, but to say it's in solid third position...absolutely.

I highly recommend it.

26063435_10212819628699128_179027661034981845_o.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  5. David Deeb

David Deeb Screenwriter

David
    I just "discovered" this series. Yes, I knew about it, who was in it, etc. But I'm pretty sure I never watched a full episode all these years.

My interest in quality series, led me to reviews, so I watched the first 10 episodes and am impressed how well this series is. The acting, writing, directing are all top notch. Would love to find this in HD or at least remasters.

Is there no comprehensive, remastered complete series available? I'm finding the the same individual seasons going from about $20, $60 or "unavailable" even at the same retailer. Makes no sense. And has this show never been remastered in HD?

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  6. Message #306 of 315 Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    David - the complete season sets are available via Amazon and www.therifleman.net directly. They are the only official release from Levy_Gardner. They're a tad pricey at about $60 per season and the packaging is clunky. Wal-Mart was selling streamlined (and cheaper!) half-season sets, though those have stalled after season four. Either way you get them the episodes look great, and the series is very solid for its entire 5-year run. You will enjoy your new "discovery".

7. David Deeb

David Deeb Screenwriter

David
    Thank you for this info Glenn. That is a bit steep but good to hear the episodes look great.

This sounds like a few other series that are owned by a smaller entity where they tried releasing bulky, high-priced season sets on a web site instead of licensing to a 3rd party. Or maybe they did and I'm wrong, but at $60 x 5, I can't imagine that selling as many as they would like.

Wal Mart packages sound better and will keep an eye out for them. Thanks though. The show really does hold up well!

8. Message #308 of 315 Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    You'll be lucky to find these in the stores. Most were there a month or so after release and have gone online only (and none I checked are available for pickup). They're easy to find on WM's site - just search for rifleman. All but 1 half season are in the $20 price range. Still a bit less than directly from the manufacturer and better packaging. If you like "special features" then you may want to go the "official site" route as those complete seasons from them supposedly have stuff not in those half season sets.

You can get them for a bit less from Amazon ($12.99 + $3 shipping for the half season sets) - look for new copies and select "The Rifleman - North Fork General Merchandise" as the vendor. That's the distributor selling directly on Amazon for less than they do on their own site. Here's a link to their Amazon store. I had to search separately for "rifleman season 2" to find the S2V1 set. It doesn't look to be listed with their other store items.

9. David Deeb

David Deeb Screenwriter

David
    I'm only on episode 14 and surprised at how many people he's already killed. When I came back to this thread and read back a few posts, I see this video of all his kills. I didn't watch all of it but laughed out loud. So far, I'm liking the show, but it is getting a bit ridiculous to see how many people one person could kill already. It's like he is shooting rats or killing flies. He shoots someone, father and son are thrilled they are ok, hug and then they ride off and leave the dead bodies and not bothered at all. LOL

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  10. Message #310 of 315 Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Lucas' kill rate is nothing compared to Sgt. Saunders on Combat! McCain is a lightweight. :laugh:

borisfw and Flashgear like this.
  11. rjd0309

rjd0309 Second Unit

Robert
    Ah, you're referring to the horse-drawn wagon with the signage "North Fork Dead Animal Pickup" that would follow along behind Lucas McCain. Much like the white van labeled "Batmobile Parachute Pickup Service" that would clean up after each Emergency Bat Turn made by the Batmobile...

David Deeb and Flashgear like this.
  12. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Screenwriter

I have all the MPI sets (except one). I had bought all the new ones off Ebay but got burned with them being bootlegs. Is it worth it to sell off the MPI sets and get the new ones as far as picture quality goes?

13. JustARandomStan

JustARandomStan Stunt Coordinator

Stan
    Darby67, MarkA and Flashgear like this.
  14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'm more excited about this (link to the product page on the image):
    [​IMG]
    It appears that Complete Series set uses these "Value Edition" releases. That means we *finally* get S5V1 and I'd guess S5V2 will follow shortly!

Here's their shot of the sets in the Complete Series box:
    [​IMG]
    They even tout their use over the "Collector's Edition" digipak sets (bolding by me):
    Right now both are available exclusively on the Rifleman site but should show up soon on Amazon (they maintain a storefront there).

15. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I have previously purchased the "Collector's Editions" of Seasons 1 and 2 a few years back. Season 1's discs played perfectly, while one of Season 2's discs had a freezing issue; I tried returning it for a replacement but kept encountering the same issue so finally just returned it for a refund. Therefore I still need purchase seasons 2 through 5, so debating whether to continue purchasing the season sets (which would allow me to check the discs for defects within the return window) or purchase the complete series (which is cheaper).

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.