The Rifleman Season Sets in 2013 ?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
112 "The Englishman"

20180605-194714.JPG

Lucas's method of claiming his calf was ingenious. It's a perfect example of why I love and respect his character so much.

Here are two more. We were just talking about trifectas. After killing multiple men, Lucas makes a very clear, emphatic point to Mark: "It was a last resort, son."

Then Lucas says something I love about America, something I love to think about even more in recent days. He asks the Englishman to take a piece of land for his own, explaining that in this country "everyone is welcome."

Some of these episodes are gems, truly.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've said this before, but it bears repeating: This soundtrack is magnificent. To say it is my favorite TV soundtrack of all time would be a stretch in the face of Star Trek TOS and The Fugitive 1960s, but to say it's in solid third position...absolutely.

I highly recommend it.

26063435_10212819628699128_179027661034981845_o.jpg

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I just "discovered" this series. Yes, I knew about it, who was in it, etc. But I'm pretty sure I never watched a full episode all these years.

My interest in quality series, led me to reviews, so I watched the first 10 episodes and am impressed how well this series is. The acting, writing, directing are all top notch. Would love to find this in HD or at least remasters.

Is there no comprehensive, remastered complete series available? I'm finding the the same individual seasons going from about $20, $60 or "unavailable" even at the same retailer. Makes no sense. And has this show never been remastered in HD?

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I just "discovered" this series. Yes, I knew about it, who was in it, etc. But I'm pretty sure I never watched a full episode all these years.

My interest in quality series, led me to reviews, so I watched the first 10 episodes and am impressed how well this series is. The acting, writing, directing are all top notch. Would love to find this in HD or at least remasters.

Is there no comprehensive, remastered complete series available? I'm finding the the same individual seasons going from about $20, $60 or "unavailable" even at the same retailer. Makes no sense. And has this show never been remastered in HD?
David - the complete season sets are available via Amazon and www.therifleman.net directly. They are the only official release from Levy_Gardner. They're a tad pricey at about $60 per season and the packaging is clunky. Wal-Mart was selling streamlined (and cheaper!) half-season sets, though those have stalled after season four. Either way you get them the episodes look great, and the series is very solid for its entire 5-year run. You will enjoy your new "discovery".

Last edited:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Thank you for this info Glenn. That is a bit steep but good to hear the episodes look great.

This sounds like a few other series that are owned by a smaller entity where they tried releasing bulky, high-priced season sets on a web site instead of licensing to a 3rd party. Or maybe they did and I'm wrong, but at $60 x 5, I can't imagine that selling as many as they would like.

Wal Mart packages sound better and will keep an eye out for them. Thanks though. The show really does hold up well!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thank you for this info Glenn. That is a bit steep but good to hear the episodes look great.

This sounds like a few other series that are owned by a smaller entity where they tried releasing bulky, high-priced season sets on a web site instead of licensing to a 3rd party. Or maybe they did and I'm wrong, but at $60 x 5, I can't imagine that selling as many as they would like.

Wal Mart packages sound better and will keep an eye out for them. Thanks though. The show really does hold up well!
You'll be lucky to find these in the stores. Most were there a month or so after release and have gone online only (and none I checked are available for pickup). They're easy to find on WM's site - just search for rifleman. All but 1 half season are in the $20 price range. Still a bit less than directly from the manufacturer and better packaging. If you like "special features" then you may want to go the "official site" route as those complete seasons from them supposedly have stuff not in those half season sets.

You can get them for a bit less from Amazon ($12.99 + $3 shipping for the half season sets) - look for new copies and select "The Rifleman - North Fork General Merchandise" as the vendor. That's the distributor selling directly on Amazon for less than they do on their own site. Here's a link to their Amazon store. I had to search separately for "rifleman season 2" to find the S2V1 set. It doesn't look to be listed with their other store items.

Last edited:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm only on episode 14 and surprised at how many people he's already killed. When I came back to this thread and read back a few posts, I see this video of all his kills. I didn't watch all of it but laughed out loud. So far, I'm liking the show, but it is getting a bit ridiculous to see how many people one person could kill already. It's like he is shooting rats or killing flies. He shoots someone, father and son are thrilled they are ok, hug and then they ride off and leave the dead bodies and not bothered at all. LOL

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I'm only on episode 14 and surprised at how many people he's already killed. When I came back to this thread and read back a few posts, I see this video of all his kills. I didn't watch all of it but laughed out loud. So far, I'm liking the show, but it is getting a bit ridiculous to see how many people one person could kill already. It's like he is shooting rats or killing flies. He shoots someone, father and son are thrilled they are ok, hug and then they ride off and leave the dead bodies and not bothered at all. LOL
Lucas' kill rate is nothing compared to Sgt. Saunders on Combat! McCain is a lightweight. :laugh:

Last edited:

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Ah, you're referring to the horse-drawn wagon with the signage "North Fork Dead Animal Pickup" that would follow along behind Lucas McCain. Much like the white van labeled "Batmobile Parachute Pickup Service" that would clean up after each Emergency Bat Turn made by the Batmobile...

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I have all the MPI sets (except one). I had bought all the new ones off Ebay but got burned with them being bootlegs. Is it worth it to sell off the MPI sets and get the new ones as far as picture quality goes?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm more excited about this (link to the product page on the image):

It appears that Complete Series set uses these "Value Edition" releases. That means we *finally* get S5V1 and I'd guess S5V2 will follow shortly!

Here's their shot of the sets in the Complete Series box:

They even tout their use over the "Collector's Edition" digipak sets (bolding by me):
32 discs in 10 volumes, packaged in Premium Amray cases with printed program insert
Right now both are available exclusively on the Rifleman site but should show up soon on Amazon (they maintain a storefront there).

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I have previously purchased the "Collector's Editions" of Seasons 1 and 2 a few years back. Season 1's discs played perfectly, while one of Season 2's discs had a freezing issue; I tried returning it for a replacement but kept encountering the same issue so finally just returned it for a refund. Therefore I still need purchase seasons 2 through 5, so debating whether to continue purchasing the season sets (which would allow me to check the discs for defects within the return window) or purchase the complete series (which is cheaper).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the cheap among us, November 1 is the day!

The Rifleman will be complete in all formats... CE Full seasons, bigass complete box set, and finally, cheapo half season sets.

I'll order it all as soon as they let me.

Museum Pieces

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Skylar
I wish somebody who knew what they were doing would remaster this series from original sources. Even if it's just a DVD redo. I have the DVD releases and while they're completely watchable--and while I love this show--they are subpar in terms of what they should have been, IMO (and until recently way overpriced for the quality). But I paid top dollar because when this show is on, it's truly a gem. I don't think the later episodes are as good when the focus strays from the relationship between Lucas and Mark. It's that relationship--and the music (especially Mark's theme)--that has brought me back to this series my entire life.

Last edited:

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I wish somebody who knew what they were doing would remaster this series from original sources. Even if it's just a DVD redo. I have the DVD releases and while they're completely watchable--and while I love this show--they are subpar in terms of what they should have been, IMO (and until recently way overpriced for the quality). But I paid top dollar because when this show is on, it's truly a gem. I don't think the later episodes are as good when the focus strays from the relationship between Lucas and Mark. It's that relationship--and the music (especially Mark's theme)--that has brought me back to this series my entire life.
My guess is that they are from 16mm prints owned by the family. The financial resources needed to to more work on the prints may be beyond what the family can manage. There are likely 35mm prints stored away in a vault somewhere within a studio, but I doubt we will ever see them and there may be licensing concerns. What we have is likely the best we will get for some time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd just like the S1 volumes to be redone so the CC/SDH is a toggleable item and not a separate play file which has them burned in.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I'd just like the S1 volumes to be redone so the CC/SDH is a toggleable item and not a separate play file which has them burned in.
Agreed. Unfortunately, this probably falls into the category of being afraid to fix season one for a release because they may get too much flack from people wanting it to be treated as a free replacement program.

I also wish with season 2 and on that they didn't go with embedded black bars. I understand why, in that not all TVs appeared smart enough at the time to read the video flags to automatically adjust the output aspect ratio. Relying on people that typically leave their TV set to wide-mode to have to manual switch their TV settings or potentially have it appear horizontally stretched.

As a result, we lose a bit of detail since they are adding black bars to the side of a 4:3 image to make it 16:9, but then squishing it back into the 4:3 format to meet the DVD specification. Then it gets stretched back out again for playback. Of course, this isn't an issue when adding black bars to a 4:3 image for a blu-ray since it is stored as 16:9.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybernz