What's new

The Post (2017) (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Oscars may be different. Don't forget this is the foreign press and they may just be a bit territorial about singing the praises of our domestic version (or jealous). Methinks The Post will still get a slugload of love and nominations from the Academy, even if the upstarts ultimately win.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We're going to see it, no way I'd miss it. But our viewing might have to wait until next week when the crowds die down. Too many sick people right now. Less chance of getting sick ourselves.

Mark

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I need to see this but I'm a little wary. In my opinion Spielberg's films as of late have just gotten plain "boring." Warhorse and Lincoln in particular were very dull. However, All the President's Men is one of my favorite films of all time so this seems like a nice piece to fit in with that film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought Lincoln was very good. As to The Post, I'm seeing this tonight with Movie Pass. I'm a little wary about this film too, but for different reasons as it pertains to historical accuracy regarding the NYT's proper credit in publishing the Pentagon Papers.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The film correctly credits the New York Times and Neil Sheehan for first breaking the story and printing the papers. This is more about the pushback from the Nixon administration with their injunction against the NYT to publish any further, and the personal story of Katherine Graham coming into her own by deciding to fly in the face of the suppression (from many angles).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The film correctly credits the New York Times and Neil Sheehan for first breaking the story and printing the papers. This is more about the pushback from the Nixon administration with their injunction against the NYT to publish any further, and the personal story of Katherine Graham coming into her own by deciding to fly in the face of the suppression (from many angles).
My affinity for newspaper movies goes back to my childhood, long before I ever heard of the word "Watergate". Some of those early films I watched in my childhood were Five Star Final, Deadline U.S.A., His Girl Friday and Calling Northside 777. A few years later while in high school back in the early 1970's, I used to go to my school library and read the NYT every single school day. One news story that fascinated me during those times was the publishing of The Pentagon Papers. Everyday, I would read those published stories and the legal battle that took place over them. I had a personal interest because I had an older brother that served two tours in Vietnam, who luckily survived those two years over there.

When I found out this movie was about the Washington Post involvement in this controversy, I was naturally concern that the NYT wouldn't get the proper credit for being the first newspaper to publish The Pentagon Papers. I'm very happy to say that my concerns were resolved very satisfactorily.

I was one of only four people in my 9:40 p.m. showing. This film captivated my attention and I didn't once look at my phone to see what time was it. The film was well written and directed. Furthermore, it had splendid performances from not only Streep and Hanks, but all of the supporting actors. I'm not a big Streep fan. I don't hate her like some other people hate certain actors because it's not my thing to personalize my feelings towards actors. I just wasn't a fan of many of her movies and especially the ones in which she had some kind of accent. I'm not saying they weren't good films, but some of them weren't my cup of tea. After saying that, I must say she is a great actress and she was wonderful in this film. She really brought to life, Kay Graham and her journey from being a stay-at-home wife/mother to a widow in which circumstances thrust her into running the family business. A business that isn't for the meek in any way. This film isn't just about the fight over The Pentagon Papers, but about some issues that are still being fought today, more than 46 years later. I actually had tears in my eyes the last 5-10 minutes of the film. I walked out of the theater tonight, very proud to be an American.

Newspapers and media aren't right all the time and they make their share of mistakes. However, this film illustrates without a doubt, that they are a necessary ingredient in maintaining our system of government in order to protect the people and our values. I give this film 5 on the basis of a 1-5 grading system with 5 being the best grade. I used my Movie Pass tonight and I'm going to use it again to revisit this film in the coming days.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was one of only four people in my 9:40 p.m. showing.
I don't know what kind of business my local theater does on a Thursday night but when it opened near me last week, the first show at noon was packed with people. The movie must be doing well because it was in a medium sized theater on Friday and by Sunday (when I saw a different movie), it had been moved to the biggest non-IMAX theater in the building.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I need to see this but I'm a little wary. In my opinion Spielberg's films as of late have just gotten plain "boring." Warhorse and Lincoln in particular were very dull. However, All the President's Men is one of my favorite films of all time so this seems like a nice piece to fit in with that film.
I like Lincoln but I LOVE Warhorse. One of his absolute best I though. Wasn’t bored for a second. I think I cried a few times during that film.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For those who love films about the newspaper business I cannot more strongly recommend the 60s British film classic The Day the Earth Caught Fire. Who could guess that two events such as the world getting radically warmer and the press being vital to the last day, would combine in what initially sounds like a cheesy sci-fi film. It's anything but.

And I believe the prestigious Cohen Media will be re-releasing it in a special edition Blu-ray later this year if you can't find it before then. It will get the "Criterion" treatment it deserves. But please check it out and you will be monumentally surprised. It stars Edward Judd of From the Earth to the Moon fame as the reporter, and Leo McKern, your favoritie and final No. 2 from The Prisoner series as the editor. And, if that's not enough, wow, Janet Munro heats things up on the planet even further.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those who love films about the newspaper business I cannot more strongly recommend the 60s British film classic The Day the Earth Caught Fire. Who could guess that two events such as the world getting radically warmer and the press being vital to the last day, would combine in what initially sounds like a cheesy sci-fi film. It's anything but.

And I believe the prestigious Cohen Media will be re-releasing it in a special edition Blu-ray later this year if you can't find it before then. It will get the "Criterion" treatment it deserves. But please check it out and you will be monumentally surprised. It stars Edward Judd of From the Earth to the Moon fame as the reporter, and Leo McKern, your favoritie and final No. 2 from The Prisoner series as the editor. And, if that's not enough, wow, Janet Munro heats things up on the planet even further.
Yeah, I bought the UK BFI Blu-ray release back in 2014 and thought it looked good and enjoyed the film.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Is this going to go into a wider release? It's not playing anywhere near me, and I live in a big city.

Edit: I see it starts tomorrow in *one* theater here. Wow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is this going to go into a wider release? It's not playing anywhere near me, and I live in a big city.

Edit: I see it starts tomorrow in *one* theater here. Wow.
It's playing in over 2800 theaters! I don't understand why it's not playing in LA???? I checked my area of Michigan and it's playing in just about every movie theater complex in mid-Michigan.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's playing in over 2800 theaters! I don't understand why it's not playing in LA???? I checked my area of Michigan and it's playing in just about every movie theater complex in mid-Michigan.
According to showtimes.com it's currently on 43 screens in Los Angeles.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I like Lincoln but I LOVE Warhorse. One of his absolute best I though. Wasn’t bored for a second. I think I cried a few times during that film.

Yes! I also love Warhorse. I thought I was the only one. Great movie. Somewhere in my top 10 for Spielberg. Had touches of David Lean imho in the direction and cinematography.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If real journalism is killed off by people calling it "fake news" constantly then what we are headed for is becoming a country like North Korea where reporters are only allowed to write the propaganda that the government wants them to write...and with the current people in power here in the United States we are headed toward exactly that.

I'll say we are-- news reporting is supposed to be just that, and any channel that calls itself a news channel is supposed to be like Dragnet: "just the facts, ma'am." Preaching against liberals is not news reporting, and neither is preaching against conservatives.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Saw it earlier. Technically well done and it held my attention. That being said, it did seem awfully sanctimonious at times. The free press is certianly important but the movie makes it seem like they're the only line between order and complete Armageddon. The movie seemed to be a pretty big pile on of Nixon as well, even though he was probably less responsible for the Vietnam war than any other president (Though I get that wasn't really the charge). The Washington Post as depicted had a clear bias against Nixon (in fairness though, this was probably very true to real life, but it doesn't lend to the idea that the press is totally objective).

Frankly though, I haven't been very enamored with the mainstream media for many years now. And in a way, I sort of blame stories like this, and everyone wanting to be the next Woodward and Bernstein.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saw it earlier. Technically well done and it held my attention. That being said, it did seem awfully sanctimonious at times. The free press is certianly important but the movie makes it seem like they're the only line between order and complete Armageddon. The movie seemed to be a pretty big pile on of Nixon as well, even though he was probably less responsible for the Vietnam war than any other president (Though I get that wasn't really the charge). The Washington Post as depicted had a clear bias against Nixon (in fairness though, this was probably very true to real life, but it doesn't lend to the idea that the press is totally objective).

Frankly though, I haven't been very enamored with the mainstream media for many years now. And in a way, I sort of blame stories like this, and everyone wanting to be the next Woodward and Bernstein.
The movie was hard on Kennedy, Johnson and McNamara for what they did and and the lies they told about Vietnam. The movie showed that both, Graham and Bradlee were very conflicted due to their close friendships with those guys and yet, they still published the study and fought to continue to do so because the public had the right to know the truth. The movie was hard on Nixon because of his own actions regarding the war, but more so for fighting the release of The Pentagon Papers and that rabbit hole he was about to go down in which he abused his power and obstruction of justice.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The movie was hard on Kennedy, Johnson and McNamara for what they did and and the lies they told about Vietnam. The movie showed that both, Graham and Bradlee were very conflicted due to their close friendships with those guys and yet, they still published the study and fought to continue to do so because the public had the right to know the truth. The movie was hard on Nixon because of his own actions regarding the war, but more so for fighting the release of The Pentagon Papers and that rabbit hole he was about to go down in which he abused his power and obstruction of justice.

There was some lip service paid to some of this. Yes, Streep was conflicted due to her personal relationship to McNamara, but she wasn't a journalist. It was pointed out that Hanks's character may not have had the same zeal toward his "duty" when Kennedy was president. But despite that, I think the stance of the movie was pretty clear, which is fine, but I might have have found it more interesting had the movie had taken more of a questioning stance. Does the press sometimes go too far? Is there bias in the press? Does the press have an obligation to sometimes not report what they know?

The movie seems to take the stance that the press deserves the ultimate backstage pass to anything they want. Early in the movie the Post somewhat outraged when one of their reports is denied press credentials to the wedding of Nixon's daughter because that same reporter previously crashed the reception of a previous Nixon's daughter wedding. Can you really blame Nixon for that? If you're the press and cross someone, don't be surprised if they're not friendly to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks