What's new

THE OTHER (1 Viewer)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
haineshisway said:
Also, I thought it might be worth mentioning the brouhaha going on on another Blu-ray site, one which thinks it is the only Blu-ray site people frequent, and one which has been so very vocal in their dislike for Twilight Time, regurgitating the same thing over and over and over again in hundreds upon hundreds of pages of postings, most made by the same ten or fifteen people ad nauseum. I have had people there say the most specious and personal things about me, and when I have responded my posts were removed and I was banned - repeatedly.
You only have to look at the demographics of that other site to really understand why all this has occurred. The simple fact that every second post on that other site is about slipcovers (or the troubling issue of discovering small dents in slipcovers, and what to do about them), or numerous vacuous replies padding out threads along the lines of "I can't wait!!" or "When will it reach $5??" tells you all you need to know about their primary audience.

Given such an audience, the powers that be at that other site know full-well that Twilight Time, a label that releases quality films with no gimmicky slipcovers, steelbooks or other nonsense, and a price that will never fall below its release amount, is going to be hated by their key demographic. So they're just pandering to this demographic by taking shots at TT, and banning TT defenders.

I'm just grateful that I discovered HTF last year, as the difference between that site and this one is akin to going to McDonalds or visiting a fine restaurant :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Persianimmortal said:
You only have to look at the demographics of that other site to really understand why all this has occurred. The simple fact that every second post on that other site is about slipcovers (or the troubling issue of discovering small dents in slipcovers, and what to do about them), or numerous vacuous replies padding out threads along the lines of "I can't wait!!" or "When will it reach $5??" tells you all you need to know about their primary audience.

Given such an audience, the powers that be at that other site know full-well that Twilight Time, a label that releases quality films with no gimmicky slipcovers, steelbooks or other nonsense, and a price that will never fall below its release amount, is going to be hated by their key demographic. So they're just pandering to this demographic by taking shots at TT, and banning TT defenders.

I'm just grateful that I discovered HTF last year, as the difference between that site and this one is akin to going to McDonalds or visiting a fine restaurant :)
Amen!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
Hope you didn't pay more than $19.00 for Jessica, for WAC just reprinted it two weeks ago through their Paramount deal.Another good second feature would be the George C. Scott film THE CHANGELING.
I got it for $9.00. I would much rather have a pressed disc than a burned one and WAC putting this out was enough for me to get off my duff and pick it up.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Just arrived, dogsled team a panting, and I've just finished watching it...

First of all, Bruce is right about the level of transfer done by Fox here...The Other didn't look (or sound) remotely this good on any of the 3 occasions I saw it theatrically. Out in hinterlands up north of the 49th, especially during the early 70s, theatrical prints tended to be a grab bag of mediocre to battered, so in that regard alone this Blu-ray was a major step up for me both visually and aurally. Goldsmith's score in particular has never sounded sweeter or more persuasive. And TT's production was totally transparent...nary a whiffle of authoring anomalies. Just gorgeous.

Secondly, the film itself has aged for me exceedingly well, so I'm relieved to rediscover that I hadn't simply imagined how good it was those 40 long years ago. If there was anything that I noticed now that I didn't then, it was some rather odd cutting choices; most of this film was so lyrical in tone and languid in rhythm that the occasional blunt transition stood out more for me this time around. Nevertheless, it still simultaneously mesmerizes and chills because Mulligan was so insistent on embracing his gently nostalgic 'A Boy's Life' trappings while thoroughly creeping us out with its underlying tragic pathology. That simultaneous 'pushme-pullyou' effect remains potent...at times, uncomfortably so. I mean, you really feel Alexandra and Ada's horror when it finally dawns on them too...because that is precisely what Mulligan has been doing to us.

Superb filmmaking. Superbly produced disc. Plus one the top tier ISTs in my collection. Just a wonderful catalogue rediscovery.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Bruce:

I am, first of all, impressed that you were tied to the Bay Cities CD label. I hadn't known that. I bought a bunch of (now OOP and expensive) discs from Bay Cities, including, to my knowledge, the only CD release of the brilliant THREE MUSKETEERS score by Michel Legrand thus far. Your Kritzerland label has also been a wonderful opportunity to purchase rare scores. So, up front, thank you for that. You obviously love film and its music.

As to your issues with other sites, I can only surmise that your very outspoken posts even here can be construed by some as confrontational, leading to unfortunate clashes with other posters. Because I value your input here, I can only suggest that your choice of words is all-important. I too have a low threshold for ignorance, but every so often I display here it myself! Knowing that, I try to humble myself (not hard, considering I am surrounded here by those with far more technical knowledge than I have) and allow for everyone's opinion, regardless of its validity. Perhaps you might consider taking a page from your friend Robert A. Harris' posts -- those are always respectful, courteous and insightful, and I know he has responded generously to any number of rather ignorant posts. In a photo I viewed recently you wear a shirt that reads "Curmudgeon." I am not sure I would be wanting to flaunt that if I wanted to have ongoing discussions with people who want to learn from you, as I do. All of us are different.

You have never been abusive to me personally in this forum, but then again, you have never directly replied to one of my posts. But I do notice your shortage of patience with other people who do not agree with you. I absolutely admire and value your contributions to film and film score product, and your many astute early reviews of Blu-ray product such as Twilight Time releases (which I also find reasonably perfect). I only wish there wasn't such an inclination on your part to put down those with whom you have issues, even if they have done the same to you.

This post is being made in the hopes that I will not be on your personal s**t list from now on.

haineshisway said:
And now this yokel called hyperrealist, who is one of the worst over there, has invoked me and has the person who made the post I reference above. I'm being told that I somehow have ties and relations to Twilight Time. I will not ever post on that sorry site again, even though I can because I have been reinstated for months now, but I don't believe I've shy about saying that Mr. Redman is a former business partner of mine (back in the late 1980s at our label, Bay Cities) and a dear and close friend, but they have repeatedly tried to say that I'm somehow involved in Twilight Time in some other way - because I think they will continue to be successful, I wish that were the case, but it isn't. But have I occasionally defended both Nick and his company when they've made vile and vicious and personal posts about him - you bet. Of course, the person who hyperrealist was responding to when he brought my name into it, was really talking about RoClock, acting as if HE had an investment in Twilight Time. Since I am intimately knowledgeable about the company I can assure you he was a fan and had nothing to do with it, just as I have nothing to do with it other than knowing the players very well. It's really pathetic. And yet, all of hyperrealist's vile postings remain - funny that.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Dick said:
Bruce:

I am, first of all, impressed that you were tied to the Bay Cities CD label. I hadn't known that. I bought a bunch of (now OOP and expensive) discs from Bay Cities, including, to my knowledge, the only CD release of the brilliant THREE MUSKETEERS score by Michel Legrand thus far. Your Kritzerland label has also been a wonderful opportunity to purchase rare scores. So, up front, thank you for that. You obviously love film and its music.

As to your issues with other sites, I can only surmise that your very outspoken posts even here can be construed by some as confrontational, leading to unfortunate clashes with other posters. Because I value your input here, I can only suggest that your choice of words is all-important. I too have a low threshold for ignorance, but every so often I display here it myself! Knowing that, I try to humble myself (not hard, considering I am surrounded here by those with far more technical knowledge than I have) and allow for everyone's opinion, regardless of its validity. Perhaps you might consider taking a page from your friend Robert A. Harris' posts -- those are always respectful, courteous and insightful, and I know he has responded generously to any number of rather ignorant posts. In a photo I viewed recently you wear a shirt that reads "Curmudgeon." I am not sure I would be wanting to flaunt that if I wanted to have ongoing discussions with people who want to learn from you, as I do. All of us are different.

You have never been abusive to me personally in this forum, but then again, you have never directly replied to one of my posts. But I do notice your shortage of patience with other people who do not agree with you. I absolutely admire and value your contributions to film and film score product, and your many astute early reviews of Blu-ray product such as Twilight Time releases (which I also find reasonably perfect). I only wish there wasn't such an inclination on your part to put down those with whom you have issues, even if they have done the same to you.

This post is being made in the hopes that I will not be on your personal s**t list from now on.
I try not to do it here, although sometimes I know I get strong :) At the other site, I never went for the jugular first - but I wasn't about to let those "people" attack and not respond to it in kind. I felt they deserved it. They differed, of course, because as we all know, people like that can dish it out plenty but cannot take it in return.

I actually don't have a "curmudgeon" shirt, although I'd like one. I have a curmudgeon hat :) All I really try to do is set the record straight when I have facts to do so. Otherwise, we're all just offering opinions - some informed, some not - and I really have no problem with any of that. And I don't really have a merde list, so no danger there. Glad you enjoy the CD releases - we have some rather wonderful stuff coming shortly.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
haineshisway said:
I try not to do it here, although sometimes I know I get strong :) At the other site, I never went for the jugular first - but I wasn't about to let those "people" attack and not respond to it in kind. I felt they deserved it. They differed, of course, because as we all know, people like that can dish it out plenty but cannot take it in return.

I actually don't have a "curmudgeon" shirt, although I'd like one. I have a curmudgeon hat :) All I really try to do is set the record straight when I have facts to do so. Otherwise, we're all just offering opinions - some informed, some not - and I really have no problem with any of that. And I don't really have a merde list, so no danger there. Glad you enjoy the CD releases - we have some rather wonderful stuff coming shortly.
Thanks. Appreciate your reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks