What's new

The Orville - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just watched the pilot. It is blah and pretty flat. But I'm willing to give it more episodes.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Well I think they'll give it past episode 3, when it moves to .Thursday I guess we'll see past that.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am generally not predisposed to dislike things, so I gave this a chance, laughed a little, and look forward to see how this develops. I can't see it getting picked up past this season, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. What can i say? It amuses me to pretend this is Star Trek and some of the things are happening....

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think there's a funny show hiding in there. I'll give it a few more episodes. The character who's all metal with a blank face. He's not interesting at all, they're going to have to fix that or kill him off. He's not contributing anything.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In spite of my many misgivings about this show (ie. copying Star Trek, unfunny humor, etc ...), I hope they maintain an optimistic portrayal of the future.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In the spirit of HTF :)

“The reviews have landed, and the consensus is grim: TV critics don't like Seth MacFarlane's new sci-fi show, The Orville. The comedic homage to Star Trek from the creator of Family Guy debuts tonight on Fox, and frankly...the critics must be crazy. I've seen the first three episodes of The Orville, and I think it's great.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...omage-to-the-original-star-trek/#63647bd471c7

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well I liked it enough to at least give it a chance. It was definitely misrepresented in the marketing. I don't think that was a good idea, it gave people expectations that it didn't meet. I think it has promise, I hope it gets a chance to find itself.

It was a little too close to Star Trek for me. I am surprised that CBS/Paramount (or whoever owns the ST IP) is ok with this "parody". I am not sure it has enough humor to constitute fair use. It even has Kasidy Yates. :)

I also didn't find the humor too "frat boy", whatever that means. The humor is no different than the type of humor is any other of the modern comedy movies. Comments like "frat-boy" humor really feels like a comment from someone who doesn't like Seth and is just trying to get in a dig.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I liked it. It felt shaky, wobbly, especially in the set-up and delivery of the handful of jokes, but I think the writing could evolve over time to be sharper and better. I also liked that it wasn't full-on sitcom stylings, and has the promise to be a Star Trek with a distinct humor-streak running throughout. What the show will need is to not become a Family Guy/Star Trek show (and I love Family Guy). I think there's better comedy to be had from the premise. I think the funniest moment was the banana-aging ray banter, not for what was written, necessaily, but for how it was delivered. More of that spitfire comedy and this thing could really take off. My 2 cents, but I will be tuning in again with hopes this show finds itself quickly.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I set my expectations low after reading the reviews, but I found myself enjoying it. I guess I am more of a MacFarlane fan that I wish to acknowledge. My only major complaint was the pacing -- it seemed like a half-hour show padded out to an hour. The beginning especially reminded me of the tedious start of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" where the director was too enamored of spaceships flying and docking.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
You know, I went in with lowered expectations and didn't find it that bad. Lot of room for improvement but I'm gonna give it a chance.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think there's a funny show hiding in there. I'll give it a few more episodes. The character who's all metal with a blank face. He's not interesting at all, they're going to have to fix that or kill him off. He's not contributing anything.
This seems like mostly a rip-off of ST:TNG. Isaac is the android/robot (Data/C3PO) who does not understand human emotion or sarcasm and even sounds like Brent Spiner. Bortus looks, acts, and sounds like Worf. Alara is Ensign Ro.

Not as bad as I expected based on early reviews. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
It felt like none of the actors actually want to do the show... Like there was someone pointing a gun at them off stage. I'll give it a couple more try's but....

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
In my Facebook feed I was noticing that a lot of the comments regarding the show seemed to be mostly positive. So I went to check out Rotten Tomatoes and man what a huge disparity between the critics and audience score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks