The Orville - Season 1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SamT, May 15, 2017.

1. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    Wonder how many of the positive reviews/comments are from folks who don't normally watch scifi type shows/movies.

JohnS likes this.
  2. Suzanne.S

Suzanne.S Stunt Coordinator

Suzanne
    I liked it. I think it still needs to find its footing, but most pilots are like that. My husband and I thought it was like a version of Star Trek that doesn't take itself soooo seriously. I hope that the network gives it a chance.

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Or how about their broad range of what's Good and what's bad.

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Overall I thought it was rather bland and cliche with juvenile humor. Were I 14 I might find it funny. I'm not... it wasn't. I didn't laugh or even chuckle once. What little drama there was felt forced and more like it was supposed to be humorous. It felt like it was trying too hard to be both serious and funny at the same time which didn't work, at least for me. I thought much the same thing about 3rd Rock from the Sun during its first few episodes, well I thought it was rather stupid, but it turned out to be pretty good. Then again, I enjoyed those first few episodes of 3rd Rock more than the first episode of The Orville. Several scenes feel somewhat like they were lampooning similar scenes in Star Trek: TMP but they also felt like padding. At times pacing was way off with several scenes feeling overly long to make up for a too short script. Still, I'll give it a few more episodes to get its footing before I fully decide but will not be at all surprised if it's cancelled before a dozen episodes have aired.

5. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    I'm guessing for shows like this, how much of a success/failure it will be, may very well be highly dependent on whether the non-geek/non-nerd audience latches onto it.

As a current example, another show which might fit this categorization is The Big Bang Theory. Anecdotally, just about every hardcore nerd/geek/scifi/genre fan I know in person offline, absolutely hates this show with a vengeance. Most of the folks I know offline that watches The Big Bang Theory almost every day, were almost always non-geek/non-nerd/non-genre types. (For what particular reasons this is the case among my local friends/acquaintances, I don't have any viable explanations).

6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I think the acting was a bit stiff.
    Other than that, I love the show. Probably the closest thing to Star Trek we get this season.

7. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    Watched it last night and I liked it enough to continue watching. IT has its moments and I had been reading this thread so was prepared to be completely disappointed. Well, between this thread and the promo video....

8. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    I think it's a fun show, and intend to keep watching.
    I like Seth, and his character.
    I think the pilot character needs smoothing.
    I like the Ex-wife, actor and character.
    The strong young alien has some possibilities, as does the Doctor. Worf is Worf.

I feel that they are trying to make the navigator "act black", and I feel that it doesn't fit. 300 to 400 years into the future, I would expect a more blended behavior. I mean if the freaking aliens all act like the "White people" (including the Doctor) why would he be different

Bryan^H likes this.
  9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I think his character is great. I feared the worst because everything I have watched him in has been pretty bad to me. His love for Star Trek really shows. I'm loving this show.

ChristopherG likes this.
  10. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    You can age a redwood seed 100 years, but without water, carbon dioxide and nutrients, it's not going to grow. And that pew pew pew scene with the crew escaping to the shuttlecraft was both perfunctory and repetitive. Just a jumble of shots of alien soldiers shooting rifles, Orville crew returning phaser fire, Orville running closer to the shuttle, and repeat repeat repeat. There was zero suspense and they basically just ran to the shuttle, stopping to return fire occasionally. Complete filler. In fact, a lot of the show seemed slack and slow paced. On this level, the show is a clear fail.

And yet... I really like The Orville. I was trying to figure out why -- I actually liked most of the jokes, but it's not like they were that clever or hilarious. What I really liked, and what the show actually did well, was to establish a lot of appealing secondary characters. The navigator friend should be annoying based on his character trope. But he's actually a cool guy. The interaction between Malloy and the hulking Bortus on the bridge worked way better than could have been expected. There was a lot of really good chemistry all over the place, and regardless of how shaky the plot and action turned out to be, The Orville seems to have a good foundation character-wise.

The visuals were weird for me, sometimes looking really expensive and then other times cheap. But look and feel is mostly lifted, and sometimes directly, from ST:TNG. In fact, the entire show feels like a fan made episode a la Nemesis but with much, much, much better acting. Much better.

Considering I surprised myself by liking it, I have no choice but to stick out for the season.Hopefully, it will get better from here.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'd normally agree, but I think they threw in some special dialogue about how those were specially engineered seeds that could grow in anything (including cement, I think) - so they were clearly laying the groundwork for that sort of thing.

I liked the pilot enough, and I'm a guy who usually hates pilots. The challenge with a show like this is that there's probably a bunch of pressure from the network to explain how the world works, when it seems pretty straightforward and that we can watch without all of the introductions. So hopefully, with the first episode out of the way and the ship on mission, the show can switch to more of a "explaining things as necessary, as they come up" approach and not dump it all out in long dialogue stretches that seem removed from the plot.

12. 92 Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    TJPC

TJPC Screenwriter

Terry Carroll
    This is a Science Fiction. As such, it starts as being founded in the real world we know, and then can go anywhere.

In Star Trek TOS, which was filmed in the late 1960s, they refer to the Eugenics wars which almost destroyed mankind lead to the rise of Khan and took place in the 1990s. These of course never happened. Fans of the series just take it as a SciFi flight of fancy. The writers took a risk and had the courage to be spectacularly wrong. That is what you have to do with SciFi, not nit pick that this or that is not true to reality.

The 1984 that I remember and lived through was far different than Orville's vision.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  13. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    The thing about scifi - or at least good scifi - is not that it is real or scientific, but that there is a logical flow to the black boxes they create. So for instance, they create a time accelerator and then logically conclude that it could be used as a weapon. That's not high level scifi, but it is working within the framework. Then they introduce a seed that can "grow anywhere", but it's still a plant and requires water, sunlight, and CO2. Instead, they created a seed that contains enough mass or can tap into enough mass that it will grow into a full grown redwood with little material support. What's that invention? That actually sounds important. And why are they using it for a plant, and if a plant, why a non-food crop? Okay, it's just a TV show. Okay, but it's dumb. Really dumb. This is from the guy who funded the Cosmos reboot. The Orville should be smarter than it is.

RobertR likes this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Terry, I agree completely. I think the basic point of making the Eugenics Wars in the 1990s was to pick a date that for a 1967 audience was enough in the future that it wasn't "today", but close enough that they could imagine it being possible. For a country engaged in what must've seemed like a never-ending conflict in Vietnam, itself coming on the heels of Korea, which followed World War II, it must've seemed that another war was always around the corner, and that the world could fall apart if it kept up. If they had set that in 2020, it might have been a "safer" guess, but I think it would have seemed less relateable to the audience - too far away from where they were.

I agree, but to me, the tree in The Orville checked off those boxes for me. The line of dialogue, which I don't remember verbatim, seemed to suggest that this kind of seed could grow into a tree anywhere, even devoid of what we think is necessary to grow a tree today. That seems like it could be a hugely important invention, which is no doubt why they were working on it at that science station - it seemed like it was in the prototype phase. Anyhow, it worked for me. I respect that it didn't for you.

15. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    The pilot in HD is available for free on PlayStation store.

16. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    I generally give tv/movie script writers the benefit of the doubt, especially if they don't have a scientific (or engineering) background.

(More generally).

If I wanted absolute 100% scientific accuracy, I wouldn't be wasting my time with scifi. I would be watching something procedural like Law & Order, NCIS, etc ... instead.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    There were two different inventions here, and I thought they explained it all pretty well. After the Orville landed at the space station, walking through the station on their way to the lab, they explained the genetically modified seeds and noted they can grow anywhere, in anything, without light, water, etc.

Then, when they got to the lab, they explained the temporal field generator that could accelerate time. They explained this had broad applications including growing fields of instant crops and solving any famine that might occur, among other uses.

The event on the Krill ship was achieved by combining these two elements. They glued the seed on the temporal field generator and set the generator to accelerate the growth of the redwood when it was activated. So the field around the seed was accelerated 100 years into the future, enabling a full grown tree in seconds.

I assume they selected a redwood to introduce the seed, rather than some food crop, since they needed something that would grow to gigantic proportions in seconds (using the temporal field generator) to serve the finale of the story. What other crop on earth would grow that large, even given 100 years to do so?

Suzanne.S and Josh Steinberg like this.
  18. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Overall, I found the pilot enjoyable. As a sci-fi fan, I want this show to succeed, so I hope that the writing and pacing get better in the next few episodes. It always takes time for a show to find its legs, and I hope that is the case here. What I am concerned about, is whether this might steal ST: Discovery viewers internationally. Probably an unfounded fear, but since they are so similar I have to wonder if some viewers with limited time might not choose their favorite of the two and ignore the other.

Bryan^H and Josh Steinberg like this.
  19. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    ST: Discovery may very well have a different marketing model than The Orville.

As long as ST: Discovery is bringing in enough paying subscribers to CBS' own streaming service, its renewal/cancelation fate might very well not be highly dependent on ratings.

Unless The Orville has a secondary source of revenue (such as another paying streaming service), then most likely its renewal/cancelation fate will be very much determined by ratings.

20. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Thanks for confirming, that's what I thought as I was watching it.

With The Orville presumably appearing on the equivalent of network television around the world (if it's being syndicated internationally, which I'm not sure about), and Discovery appearing on different streaming services, it doesn't seem like this should be a major concern. The Orville will have a set day of the week and time that people look out for, but Discovery will just pop up as having a new episode available for streaming each week.