What's new

The One...The Only...JAWS (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Do I see it in 3-D or IMAX? I could see both in the same day, but I wanted to see Spider-Man in Dolby Cinema so I rather watch two different movies as I've never seen this latest Spider-Man movie. Also, this is a 140 mile roundtrip for me so it's a one day trip for me.
I thought you said you weren't making the trip in Labor Day weekend traffic? Changed your mind?

Still no sign of Jaws anywhere in the entire state of Vermont, so I guess I won't be seeing it. We don't have any IMAX, but there are RealD 3D theaters. The biggest theaters in the area seem to have no interest in Jaws, but are all showing Spider-Man again and some new film about monkey love. Closest option for Jaws would be southern NH, a drive of well over 100 miles one-way.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I just got out of an iMAX showing. Fantastic experience! One thing I am wondering about is whether this was a new sound mix for iMAX or were the surrounds just being run very hot? They had such a presence. I’ve got a great home theater system and I could swear I heard effects and details in the surround channels that I haven’t heard there before. I have to pull out the 4K disc and compare before my memory of what I heard fades.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just got out of an iMAX showing. Fantastic experience! One thing I am wondering about is whether this was a new sound mix for iMAX or were the surrounds just being run very hot? They had such a presence. I’ve got a great home theater system and I could swear I heard effects and details in the surround channels that I haven’t heard there before. I have to pull out the 4K disc and compare before my memory of what I heard fades.
I don’t think anything was changed. The surrounds were definitely very active at my showing. The IMAX sound system is amazing.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My thoughts on Jaws in 3D from the other thread.

Jaws in 3D was awesome. Another terrific 3D conversion of a classic film.

This is a subtle 3D conversion with a truly immersive result. No gimmicky manufactured pop outs. Just a very pleasing depth enhanced experience.

Many of the shots in Jaws are at water level and the 3D really makes you feel like you’re on the water. Very cool. The underwater shots are very impressive as are the shots of the bow of the Orca during the finale.

The film itself is exactly the same visceral experience of course only now enhanced by this very effective 3D rendering.

Up there with Titanic, Top Gun and The Wizard Of Oz in terms of terrific conversions. I really hope we get a physical 3D bluray release. Hopefully it’s announced soon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do I see it in 3-D or IMAX? I could see both in the same day, but I wanted to see Spider-Man in Dolby Cinema so I rather watch two different movies as I've never seen this latest Spider-Man movie. Also, this is a 140 mile roundtrip for me so it's a one day trip for me.
3-D or IMAX?

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
3-D or IMAX?
That’s a really tough question. I loved both versions. The perfect viewing would be a IMAX 3D presentation.

However if I were forced to choose, I think the 3D version may offer the better viewing experience by a tiny margin.

I may think differently tomorrow ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d say 3D because you’ve seen the movie in 2D already so it’ll give you a new experience :)

Just getting home from my 3D viewing. The photography in the underwater and on the water sequences offer ample opportunities for nearly unlimited depth, which the conversion made good use of. It was a nice way of seeing an old favorite with fresh eyes.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm glad that Jaws has been released in 3D for all of you and that the response to the conversion here seems to be generally positive. I'm not here to dunk on the existence of it.

However, I do think it is odd that Universal has chosen not to offer any screenings at all of the standard version as well for those of us who just want to see that in a theater. The number of IMAX screens, which appear to be the only ones showing the 2D version, is really not that many. Sony also has Spider-Man: No Way Home this weekend, so some of those IMAX screens may be sharing auditoriums with it.

Providing more choice in viewing formats broadens the accessibility of the film to more people. Particularly right now, it's not like there are that many new titles competing for attention, so I have to believe there could have been some screens available for regular 2D screenings of Jaws as well.

Universal lost my money by not expanding E.T. into a wider release a few weeks back, and apparently they don't want my money now either.

But for those of you able to enjoy 3D, it's great that you're having fun.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it's probably because both films have been re-released numerous times in regular theaters over the decades. This was an opportunity to offer a new experience.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Around me at least, ET moved from IMAX to regular theaters for a second week so it’s possible Jaws could do the same.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think it's probably because both films have been re-released numerous times in regular theaters over the decades. This was an opportunity to offer a new experience.

I don’t think that’s the issue.
It’s that they aren’t ALSO offering an option for people with no imax accessibility

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I caught a screening in 3D yesterday, and have to say I felt more immersed in the movie than I ever have before. Everything felt more real in 3D. It's a conversational movie much of the time and I've seen it in theaters before, but adding 3D made it much more intimate than I anticipated. Especially the first two acts. I often felt like a fellow Amity citizen.

Technically speaking... this looked like a movie actually shot in 3D. Occasionally some shots would have too much in the foreground - which could be jarring if the foreground was static while there was movement behind. But overall the layer separation was wonderful, and there were many instances of three clear layers at play. The scene in front of the defaced billboard is a great example. Mayor and Brody in front, Hooper in the middle, billboard in the back. And man... that billboard was unbelievably vivid in those shots. With only slight modifications, Spielberg could have made this in 3D pretty much the way he did in 2D.

I highly recommend seeing it in 3D if you can.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I caught a screening in 3D yesterday, and have to say I felt more immersed in the movie than I ever have before. Everything felt more real in 3D. It's a conversational movie much of the time and I've seen it in theaters before, but adding 3D made it much more intimate than I anticipated. Especially the first two acts. I often felt like a fellow Amity citizen.

Technically speaking... this looked like a movie actually shot in 3D. Occasionally some shots would have too much in the foreground - which could be jarring if the foreground was static while there was movement behind. But overall the layer separation was wonderful, and there were many instances of three clear layers at play. The scene in front of the defaced billboard is a great example. Mayor and Brody in front, Hooper in the middle, billboard in the back. And man... that billboard was unbelievably vivid in those shots. With only slight modifications, Spielberg could have made this in 3D pretty much the way he did in 2D.

I highly recommend seeing it in 3D if you can.
I'll be seeing it later today based on your and others recommendation.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I’d say 3D because you’ve seen the movie in 2D already so it’ll give you a new experience :)

Exactly why I'm doing 3D.

I don't much like to pay to see movies theatrically when I already own them. Yes, bigger screen, but I just have a bias against it. Didn't see "ET" IMAX for that reason.

3D "Jaws" gives me something different, so I'll be there!

Especially because it's unclear if 3D "Jaws" will get a BD release. This might be my only chance to see it!

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
LOVED the IMAX showing! And if you've not seen it for a while... What an extraordinary achievement. Still. The editing and the acting in particular are still inspiring. It's impossible to overstate how much I enjoyed the work of Roy Scheider (perpetually underrated) and Robert Shaw in particular. Now reading this about the 3D I may have to do that too! I saw one of the first showings on opening day at the Cooper Cinerama in Denver, Co... unforgettable, then and NOW!

mark brown

Supporting Actor
3d experience great and brought back memories of seeing it the first time on a large screen in1975 with my girlfriend Sandra!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks