What's new

E.T. And Jaws Coming To Imax (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They’ve done this before - they’ll either alternate showings throughout the day, split them off for one to play during the day and one at night, or split them between different locations within a region.

This is historically a dead time of year for the type of blockbusters that sell IMAX tickets so they tend to do replays of hits from earlier in the year or repertory screenings. Back in 2016, it was “space week” with previous like Star Trek ‘09, Gravity and Interstellar. Another year was all the Marvel films that Disney has theatrical rights for. Another time it was the Harry Potter series. In 2018, it was split between 10th anniversary Dark Knight showings and 50th anniversary 2001: A Space Odyssey showings. I personally look forward to this time because more often than not it’s something I’d like to see and on a better screen than Fathom Events repertory usually gets.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Sorry but, neither of these films were filmed in Imax. Your just seeing a movie filmed in 35mm blown up for Imax.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We’re aware of that obviously. Many films not shot in IMAX look great on that big screen. I’m sure these two will too.

Repertory showings come to my local multiplex as either Fathom Events or the occasional IMAX event like this. Fathom showings happen in the smallest auditorium in the building. IMAX showings happen in the largest auditorium. That alone makes it worthwhile if it’s a title I’m interested in going out for.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw ET today in IMAX. About 40 people in the audience. Applause at the end.

Technically it was fine. A bit soft perhaps but I think that’s how it always looked. Great seeing it on such a big screen.

Really looking forward to Jaws in a few weeks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Saw ET today in IMAX. About 40 people in the audience. Applause at the end.

Technically it was fine. A bit soft perhaps but I think that’s how it always looked. Great seeing it on such a big screen.

Really looking forward to Jaws in a few weeks.
Me and a friend are going on Sunday. She hasn't seen it for years and I haven't seen it since maybe a Fathom Event.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was looking at showtimes for my local theater, which is a Cinemark. I was surprised to see that they have Jaws booked for Labor Day weekend, when it will split the premium screen with Sony's re-release of Spider-Man: No Way Home.

The reason this surprises me is because my CInemark does not have an IMAX screen. They call their premium brand "XD." So this means that Jaws will not be running exclusively in IMAX branded theaters.

E.T. is currently exclusive to IMAX branded theaters. The only one of those locally is inside an AMC, which I choose not to patronize. So it is interesting to see Universal opening up Jaws to other screens which are not part of IMAX. Had they done that with E.T., I would have probably gone to it, but giving money to my AMC is not something I can abide.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was looking at showtimes for my local theater, which is a Cinemark. I was surprised to see that they have Jaws booked for Labor Day weekend, when it will split the premium screen with Sony's re-release of Spider-Man: No Way Home.

The reason this surprises me is because my CInemark does not have an IMAX screen. They call their premium brand "XD." So this means that Jaws will not be running exclusively in IMAX branded theaters.

E.T. is currently exclusive to IMAX branded theaters. The only one of those locally is inside an AMC, which I choose not to patronize. So it is interesting to see Universal opening up Jaws to other screens which are not part of IMAX. Had they done that with E.T., I would have probably gone to it, but giving money to my AMC is not something I can abide.
My local Regal which does have IMAX is showing Jaws in 2D in IMAX and 3D on standard screens.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
E.T. Has moved from IMAX to a standard auditorium at my local AMC.
Good to know. Thanks. Unfortunately, my Cinemark still doesn't have it in any format. The local AMC remains the only one playing it here.

Last edited:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

"Excitement for movie lovers that started with news of the re-release of Steven Spielberg's epic JAWS in RealD 3D and IMAX, starring two-time Academy Award Nominee Roy Scheider (The French Connection, All That Jazz), is now bigger than ever. Global distributor MovieFarm announced today that Scheider's powerful final performance in the thriller Beautiful Blue Eyes will also be seen by audiences exclusively at 431 Regal theaters across the US, from September 9, with its world premiere at NYC's Regal Union Square on September 8."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As we get ready for some Jaws, these are these two reimagined sequences from Jaws: The Revenge. Pretty hard to polish a turd like this, but I thought these were pretty good and somewhat of an improvement over the original.

Modernized FX: Mike Brody chased by the shark into the sunken wreck. Definitely more tension here with a realistic shark. I love how they zoom in on the eye around 1:05.

Re-edited Jake's Death and Finale, and incorporates some archival footage from Jaws/Jaws 2. Glad they got rid of the hovering "roaring" shark. No redone FX here, just much better editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks