What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Condolences, Stan. I'm glad she came around to be more personable in recent years and you had some quality time before the end.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys. It's weird how attached we get to our pets. Her brother passed 12 years ago, so been a while since I've been through this.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Feral Family Update:

On Saturday evening, 10/28, we were able to trap the three feral kittens for transport to Reno the next morning for TNR (Trap-Neuter-Release), but Mama Cat was uncooperative (or it could have been the second trap that was uncooperative), as she kept going into her trap, eating, but did not trigger the door to close. We got up Sunday morning at 4:00 am, tried for another hour to trap Mama, but to no avail. We finally loaded the car with the kittens and got them to the Nevada Humane Society at 7:30 am, where they were spayed/neutered and ready for pickup at 3:00 pm that afternoon. Turns out, Blacky is a male and Smokey and Dusty are females (my wife and I had wagers on Blacky and Smokey, and we broke even). We then released the kittens into our backyard the next morning. The family of four are still living in our backyard, which is a relief, as we were afraid that after the trauma of being trapped, transported, operated on, transported again, then released, that they would find somewhere else to call home.

Tonight, I am going to try and get Mama Cat ready to be transported to Reno early Wednesday morning. She has become very friendly over the last month, approaching me and allowing me to pet her (even rolling on her back for a belly rub) and every so often pick her up. I'm hoping she will simply let me pick her up tonight and, with some help, place her in the trap so we don't have to worry about the kittens getting into the trap.

Wish me luck!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well, last night was a bust. Mama Cat came up to me, I petted her for a minute, then grabbed her by the scruff and in the process of trying to get her in the trap (the Humane Society will only accept ferals if in a trap), she managed to flip around and tried to shred my arm while yowling and hissing at me. Fearing a possible trip to the ER, I dropped her and she ran off. We then set the trap, and once again she managed to eat without tripping the door closed. Sigh - will have to try again next week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, last night was a bust. Mama Cat came up to me, I petted her for a minute, then grabbed her by the scruff and in the process of trying to get her in the trap (the Humane Society will only accept ferals if in a trap), she managed to flip around and tried to shred my arm while yowling and hissing at me. Fearing a possible trip to the ER, I dropped her and she ran off. We then set the trap, and once again she managed to eat without tripping the door closed. Sigh - will have to try again next week.
I'd try a different trap. Sounds like this one may be defective.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
once again she managed to eat without tripping the door closed. Sigh - will have to try again next week.

I agree that the trap sounds defective. Do you own it or are you renting it? I've trapped many ferals and this has only happened to me once or twice tops in nearly 20 years. (I'm assuming it's the long, skinny, have-a-heart-type trap?) My biggest problem with the traps is just getting the cats to go in. Some will, some are just too suspicious and won't no matter how hungry they are.

I'm getting ready to trap another feral who has adopted me---a big black one who used to run and hide when he saw me through the window, and now walks into my kitchen when I open the door. ;-)
I'll have 5 cats then, if I can get him. All of my cats but one were feral and they've all become spoiled housecats, but a couple of them still aren't crazy about being picked up.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well the inevitable happened today. Her appetite faded a lot a few months ago. Went from 12 lbs. to 6 1/2. She hadn't eaten in over a week, stopped drinking water. I couldn't find a house call vet, plus my regular vet is only 1/2 mile away, she tolerated the trip well.

Shaved off some fur from her back leg to find a vein, gently injected her and it was done. Really tough to go through when you lose a pet after so many years, but she was not living a good life any longer, slowly starving. Let's just say a lot of tears were shed.
I'm so sorry Stan.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
dogs drool.

Some more than others!

Neapolitan-Mastiff1.jpg

But let's remember...no personal attacks on the HTF! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks