Real Name
Chris
coolest cat ever...
67c7x-chimera-cat.jpg

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I had to make a very difficult decision a week ago, for my black cat Billy. After his health had declined quickly, as he was hardly eating, and weight decreasing. I had to decide to end his suffering. I did delay for some time, as I just could not imagine being without him, but at the same time, I just could not see him continue to suffer anymore. And was tempted to delay some more, but I finally went to the vet to put an end to it. After it was done, I just lost it, and cried really loud.

Billy was a black cat that I had for 11 1/2 years. He was born on 6/6/06, but far from being bad luck. In fact, I would jokingly say that whenever he crossed my path, he was bad luck in a way of being a distraction. That is because I want to chase him and give him a hug, getting sidetracked. And he did like to run around a lot. I still miss him a lot, as I always feel like he was taken away from me way too soon, as I assumed that cats often live up to 15 years.

Here are some photos of him...

Using this as my avatar for the time being

cat.jpg

SAM_2549.JPG

SAM_6164.JPG

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So sorry Walter. Trust me that you have plenty of company feeling the pain of losing a dear pet. I have a very soft spot for black cats. When a cat declines quickly it is often renal failure. RIP Billy.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Thanks guys! It has taken a lot of getting used to, not having him in the house. At times, I find myself saying "it's not fair".

And I just learned from my mom, that he was the last of his litter to be adopted, due to being black. I'm just glad that he had another chance, due to the vet being a friend of my mom's, who was looking to adopt a cat. And that we really liked black cats, since we used to have one, a decade before this one. Billy was more like a dog, as he really liked being around people. Super friendly cat.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I've been meaning to post this for almost a week, but last Tuesday night we managed to trap the feral Mama Cat and I drove her into Reno very early the next morning to get her spayed. She cried a few times on the 2.5 hour trip there, but I think that had more to do with the fact that she had peed inside the trap during the drive (thank goodness I put down puppy pads on the back seat underneath the trap). We released her the next morning, she chowed down on a bowl of food and drank a ton of water, and still comes by with her kittens (who were fixed a few weeks prior). She's more cautious of me now, but I'm hoping that will soon change, as she is a very sweet cat when she lets you pet her.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks guys! It has taken a lot of getting used to, not having him in the house. At times, I find myself saying "it's not fair".

And I just learned from my mom, that he was the last of his litter to be adopted, due to being black. I'm just glad that he had another chance, due to the vet being a friend of my mom's, who was looking to adopt a cat. And that we really liked black cats, since we used to have one, a decade before this one. Billy was more like a dog, as he really liked being around people. Super friendly cat.
Black cats have a much harder time being adopted. Something I will never understand.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Black cats have a much harder time being adopted. Something I will never understand.

About 10 years ago we found a black cat living out back under my neighbor's canoe. We tried to find her owners and we finally gave up and called the local shelters. They told us that they most likely wouldn't be able to adopt her out and would end up euthanizing her. Of course we couldn't allow that so she moved in. She was a great cat, very friendly and loving. I don't understand why black cats have this issue.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
About 10 years ago we found a black cat living out back under my neighbor's canoe. We tried to find her owners and we finally gave up and called the local shelters. They told us that they most likely wouldn't be able to adopt her out and would end up euthanizing her. Of course we couldn't allow that so she moved in. She was a great cat, very friendly and loving. I don't understand why black cats have this issue.
It's partly their color. People don't think black is pretty. They want orange or white or ... I think black cats look like little panthers and they are gorgeous.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
It's partly their color. People don't think black is pretty. They want orange or white or ... I think black cats look like little panthers and they are gorgeous.

Also, that myth that they are bad luck, which is too bad.

I always though black cats are very unique, which is why I would have no problem adopting another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks