What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
One film, however, that is included is The Wild from 2006, which according to that Wikipedia list, is not considered to be a Walt Disney Animation Studios movie. So, that's an odd inclusion.

IIRC, there are two "official" lists. One is for North America and omits The Wild. The overseas/British list includes The Wild since it was distributed by Disney elsewhere.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
As Disney's early Blu-rays were all 'region free' one can safely import this box in North America and still enjoy its content, .

All of the early items weren't Region Free. Unless these discs are different than the previous release discs which I'm going to doubt, then these are Region B locked. And of course the 5 DVD aren't playable on standard US equipment so that basically leaves 13-14 disc incompatible.

The Disney list of "Classic Animated" can be debated/argued again, but apparently this is a Official Disney Canon (UK vs US) list internally generated and not something that was Fan Made or internet generated.

Highlighted discs in the UK boxset (German set doesn't have THE WILD)
Region B or B/C Only
-Bolt 2D
-Dumbo

-Enchanted
-Jungle Book (1967)
-Jungle Book 2
-Meet the Robinsons
-The Nightmare Before Christmas 2D
-Pinocchio
-The Princess and the Frog

-Ratatouille 2D and 3D
-Sleeping Beauty
-Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

-Sorcerers Apprentice
-Tinker Bell
-Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure
-Up 2D
-Wall-e
-The Wild

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I imagine the studio, insofar as preservation goes, has paid as much attention to SONG OF THE SOUTH as it does most of its catalog, because someone there is forward-looking enough to know that attitudes change over time and that new studio heads in the future might find a way to release it again.
I'm wondering if Disney will make Song of the South available for streaming when they start up their own streaming service next year. True, they could have offered it to Netflix during these past years of their deal with them and they didn't, but having something like that which has been generally unseen for decades might convince some people to subscribe to the service.

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
IIRC, there are two "official" lists. One is for North America and omits The Wild. The overseas/British list includes The Wild since it was distributed by Disney elsewhere.

It was distributed by Walt Disney Pictures in America. It was just not produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios. There are many animated Disney movies (like those from the now defunct (as of June 2018) Disneytoons Studios (the straight to video sequels)) that are not from Walt Disney Animation Studios and The Wild is one of those movies.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I hope that this UK offering is followed up by a Blu ray release of a collection of the classic Disney live-action movies. I'd love a set that includes, as a minimum, Pollyanna, both versions of The Parent Trap (Hayley and Lindsay) and both versions of Freaky Friday. Too much to hope for , I guess, since Disney seems intent on not allowing their Blu ray catalogue to be sold in Australia.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It was distributed by Walt Disney Pictures in America. It was just not produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios. There are many animated Disney movies (like those from the now defunct (as of June 2018) Disneytoons Studios (the straight to video sequels)) that are not from Walt Disney Animation Studios and The Wild is one of those movies.

You are, of course, correct. What I was trying to get across in a really inelegant way was that The Wild is not counted in the official count of Disney animated films

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just finished watching The Straight Story with Richard Farnsworth and noticed the Disney logo at the beginning of the film. The dvd is good but would love to see a Blu-ray release to show the nice scenery of the Midwest. There is a Japanese Blu-ray but on Ebay it costs over $80.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm wondering if Disney will make Song of the South available for streaming when they start up their own streaming service next year. True, they could have offered it to Netflix during these past years of their deal with them and they didn't, but having something like that which has been generally unseen for decades might convince some people to subscribe to the service.

In theory, that sounds like the path of least resistance. That would save them the trouble of having to do an ad campaign, press discs, and deal with returns or any big-box store consumer issues that may arise.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Honestly, I think Disney would be pleasantly surprised by how well releasing Song of the South on their new streaming service would play out. There are a lot more potential customers clamoring for its eventual release than there are those who aren't.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching The Straight Story with Richard Farnsworth and noticed the Disney logo at the beginning of the film. The dvd is good but would love to see a Blu-ray release to show the nice scenery of the Midwest. There is a Japanese Blu-ray but on Ebay it costs over $80.

Angelo, I purchased the Blu of The Straight Story directly from Amazon.jp for about $20 (back in 2015). It is well worth the investment. And, it is region-free. It looked and sounded great to me. Another excellent David Lynch film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And one of the things I just remembered about that transaction was how quickly that package got to me. It arrived just a few days after it was ordered!

My dog Ike was glad to take-in the package for me...:D

full

Ethan Rasiel

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Rasiel
Anyone else notice that the online customer service (chat) feature previously offered by Disney Movie Club has been removed? Now your only options are to call or fill out a form. Too bad, because the customer service chat was super helpful and I used it quite a few times to get questions answered or to get help tracking down orders and such.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else notice that the online customer service (chat) feature previously offered by Disney Movie Club has been removed? Now your only options are to call or fill out a form. Too bad, because the customer service chat was super helpful and I used it quite a few times to get questions answered or to get help tracking down orders and such.

The chat still pops up for me (did it the last 2 weeks), but it's only active certain hours of the day. I find b/w noon and 8pm ET M-F it's pretty easy to get into though you sometimes have to fumble around the site a while to get it. I think they have a limit to how many people can be in the queue. I agree it's usually quite easy and helpful -- the screen name Crystal and Heather are pretty common and I've always wondered how many different people that entailed.

Normally I can put something in my cart and click around a few time or go to the cart or account pages then either a button or pop-up shows up. I just tried it - went into My Profile with nothing in the cart and the "Click to Chat Now" button was ther.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just checked this out. Chat feature still appears to be working. Go under the "My Account" feature. Chat bar appears as a blue bar.

Ethan Rasiel

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Rasiel
Normally I can put something in my cart and click around a few time or go to the cart or account pages then either a button or pop-up shows up. I just tried it - went into My Profile with nothing in the cart and the "Click to Chat Now" button was there.

Yep that worked for me. Guess it just wasn't popping up for me on the home page like it used to. Also strange that when selecting "help" from the "my account menu", where you'd THINK they would offer the chat button (you know, to get help) it doesn't appear. Not even under "contact us" where you just get the phone number number and form. Maybe they want to limit the people who use the feature.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Yep that worked for me. Guess it just wasn't popping up for me on the home page like it used to. Also strange that when selecting "help" from the "my account menu", where you'd THINK they would offer the chat button (you know, to get help) it doesn't appear. Not even under "contact us" where you just get the phone number number and form. Maybe they want to limit the people who use the feature.

I think more likely you were just trying to get on chat at a time that the Chat wasn't oper/ they weren't manning it. I agree they need some specific place to access it rather than that annoying non-stop popup box. Put it on the Help or Account or Checkout/Cart page fulltime and just grey it out when it's off/not available like Best Buy does.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
In the -- better to be complete than not, an odd selection shows up on DMC this month
Nobody is really sure where this came from or why. It's not one of the super high requested items, it was one of the last Diamond releases, and fairly recently returned the vault in that big wave, and there;s no Movie to promote this year.

It doesn't have a digital code included apparently so that kills sales to most general families and collectors. Even a NEW Diamond Edition isn't that much more expensive it you tried and the Digital could be used or sold for $8-10

It's possible this is just a Christmas stunt since it's not only an exclusive, it's a Limited Edition, and "While Supplies Last"
Speculation
1) that it's a new slipcover packed with the old Diamond BD/DVD to clear old inventory.
2) it's designed to be a promotion for the new Disney TV series 101 Dalmatian St
3) it's a sign that both the Signature Line and Vault are disappearing (unlikely).
4) it's a stunt specifically for the Holidays and will be pulled/discontinued soon afterwards.

1521050.png

101 Dalmatians (Club Exclusive) Blu-ray + DVD $24.95

"CLUB EXCLUSIVE Combo Pack with Limited Edition Cover Art - Only available at Disney Movie Club. Available while supplies last"

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hmm. If it were the Diamond Edition repackaged with a new slipcover, it would have the digital copy code. This one only says Blu-ray+DVD. So, that's odd.

When did the Diamond Edition get discontinued? It seems like 101 should be in line for Signature re-release sooner rather than later, if only because they seem to be putting the reissues out at a faster pace than their original Blu-ray counterparts. But Disney also didn't do a fall-time-period Platinum/Diamond/Signature release this year, which is the first time in memory that they didn't have one going back to Snow White's Platinum DVD in 2001.

It's also possible that 101D is the next Signature release and the club is getting it early, I suppose, followed by a general release next year.

I gotta say I do like that artwork better than the artwork on the Diamond Edition, but not enough to re-buy it just for that.

What I really want, that we don't have yet, and I hope it eventually comes and gets a wide release because I'm not a club member, is a Blu-ray release of the live-action remake with Glenn Close, which I'm surprised didn't coincide with the original's Diamond Blu.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I guess I meant repackage of the leftover discs rather than just a new slipcover. Technically the Digital Code sheet said it expired in 2017 though I'm not actually aware that those dates mean anything for Disney.

It was released as a Diamond Feb 2015 and vaulted either late 2016 or early 2017 (essentially the same time as SB. Cinderella, TLM, and Jungle Book). It was the 2nd to last Diamond release and next to last vaulted item to Aladdin Fall 2015/Fall2017. There should be at least 4 (or 5 if you count Fantasia) others releases ahead of it for a Signature if you go strictly by BD release dates. With Cruella releasing Xmas season 2019 it would make a lot more sense to Fully release it then or more likely Feb 2020 near the Cruella Home Video estimated release

I think TLK 4K is going to be considered the 3rd Signature release this year (odd in itself). 101/102 Dalmatians certainly are among the top wanted Live Action requests -- again it would seem to be a slam dunk to release them around Cruella . With the mass release of Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, Honey series, Mighty Ducks, Holes, and the Classic SA/TTC mid 2017 to mid 2018, it cleaned the deck of a lot of 1986-early 2000 era movies. There are obviously a few left like Robin Williams Flubber and Dalmatians, but most of the truly top tier Disney from that era were lifted. Obviously tons of Classic Era 1950- 1980 including some A+ tier items are still unreleased in addition to the last few Classic Canon Animated. The whole weird shoehorning of TLK and 101 Dalmatians when virtually everyone was thinking Fantasia makes me much more concerned that the Levine Controversy may be playing a role.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks