What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just got a letter from DMC that they’ve canceled the 4KUHD version of “Christopher Robin” which I had preordered and offered the regular Blu-ray instead. Wonder why?

Well that stinks. Now I really have to think if I'm going to add this movie to the shelf. It didn't light up the box office, but it's still disappointing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It didn't light up the box office, but it's still disappointing.

That's another reason. It's currently at $98 million and change, and Disney re-expanded it some last weekend. I think they are trying to goose it over the $100 million mark.

Personally, if I like the movie enough to buy it, I'd still get the disc regardless. I bought The Seagull on DVD a few weeks ago even though Sony didn't offer a Blu-ray.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And probably isn't scheduled for one anytime soon. :(

I suspect that Disney is giving their entire library a 4K upgrade simply for the purposes of posterity and possibly streaming. They are sticklers for preserving their assets. Whether or not they are ever released for us on Blu-ray remains to be seen.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I suspect that Disney is giving their entire library a 4K upgrade simply for the purposes of posterity and possibly streaming. They are sticklers for preserving their assets. Whether or not they are ever released for us on Blu-ray remains to be seen.

Your comment makes me simultaneously hopeful and happy, yet disappointed and sad. Ah, the joys of being a Disney movie fan.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not an exclusive, but it appears Disney has another short collection of short coming out ??Nov 13. I posted the bestbuy.ca link somewhere earlier, but now if is being shown on the DMR preview section slotted after Incredibles 2 and Pixar Shorts 3

Olaf's Frozen Adventure

6 shorts with the 22 minute main event and 6 others to total around 68 minutes
frozenadventure1536688697941.png

Classic Disney Holidays Shorts Include:
  1. THE HOCKEY CHAMP – Donald Duck shows his nephews the moves that won him his hockey trophy, but the boys have a few moves of their own
  2. WINTER – Silly Symphony – In this musical short – the last of the ‘Silly Symphony’ series – see wintertime from the point of view of our favorite woodland creatures.
  3. THE ART OF SKIING – The first cartoon to use the now-famous Goofy holler, this short features Goofy learning how to ski at the Sugar Bowl Ski Resort.
  4. PLUTO’S CHRISTMAS TREE – While picking out their Christmas tree, Mickey and Pluto chop down the perfect one, unaware that they’re bringing home Chip and Dale along for the ride.
  5. ONCE UPON A WINTERTIME – While courting Jenny, Joe tries to show off on the ice, but events soon turn to a timely rescue in this musical December Valentine.
  6. POLAR TRAPPERS – The first cartoon to feature Donald and Goofy without Mickey; The duo are animal trappers in the South Pole with very different (and hilariously unsuccessful) approaches.

This disc was released in Japan over the summer and as a Digital release a bit ago. the Amazon reviews are quite disturbing if you value any Disney animation named "Not Frozen." The comments about all the other shorts is somewhat similar to the reaction the Olaf short got when it played Pre-Coco and got so bad that Disney pulled the 20 minutes preshow from later in the run.

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
Apologies if this is the wrong section for this, but does anyone know if this will come out stateside? This is a pretty crazy collection: https://www.shopdisney.co.uk/disney...-set-1937-2018-413519835191.html?cgid=2000600

I first heard about the collection at video game forum ResetEra: https://www.resetera.com/threads/disney-announce-classic-boxset.74453/

It appears to at least be available only in the UK and Germany (as DVD only). The UK one doesn't seem to have Dinosaur or Winnie the Pooh (2011), which according to Wikipedia are considered to be part of the Walt Disney Animation Studio library: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Animation_Studios_films. One film, however, that is included is The Wild from 2006, which according to that Wikipedia list, is not considered to be a Walt Disney Animation Studios movie. So, that's an odd inclusion.

Also, in the UK box set, five of the movies are DVD only: Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, and The Black Cauldron.

If this comes to America and includes digital codes for every movie, it would be tough to resist.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would be close to 100% sure that a set like this won;t come to NA until they get rid of the Moratorium/Vault entirely. It would seem far out of place for Disney to allow it's entire Classic list to be released simultaneously in NA.

For anyone looking to import, remember several of those blurays are Region B locked and the DVD are R2/PAL.

I saw that item listed early this morning and the more I thought about it the more confused I got.. I'm honestly not entirely sure who this set is aimed at -- a few hardcore collectors who have to have every variation. Most parents aren't going to buy this, most typical collectors aren't likely to double/triple + dip since most of them likely have a lot/most/all of those, it's missing any/all 3D and wont include 4K, and loses all the bonus discs included with many of the standalone sets.

The Book is nice, but I'm sure there are better/more Complete Disney Books for far less money.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I would be close to 100% sure that a set like this won;t come to NA until they get rid of the Moratorium/Vault entirely. It would seem far out of place for Disney to allow it's entire Classic list to be released simultaneously in NA.

For anyone looking to import, remember several of those blurays are Region B locked and the DVD are R2/PAL.

I saw that item listed early this morning and the more I thought about it the more confused I got.. I'm honestly not entirely sure who this set is aimed at -- a few hardcore collectors who have to have every variation. Most parents aren't going to buy this, most typical collectors aren't likely to double/triple + dip since most of them likely have a lot/most/all of those, it's missing any/all 3D and wont include 4K, and loses all the bonus discs included with many of the standalone sets.

The Book is nice, but I'm sure there are better/more Complete Disney Books for far less money.
Here is the list from Amazon.uk (Release date December 3,2018)
Product Description
71i0K76BfNL._SL1500_[1].jpg

In 1937, the Walt Disney Studios released its first fully animated feature film, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and pioneered a new form of family entertainment. More than seven decades later, Walt Disney Animation Studios continues to honour its heritage through animated films that combine beautiful artistry, masterful storytelling and ground-breaking technology.

Relive & own forever 55 Disney Classics from 1937-2018 with this special collection celebrating the output of the Walt Disney Animation Studios. The Boxset contains a space for Ralph Breaks The Internet (2018) – available to purchase in Spring 19’ and an additional bonus 80-page book ‘A Celebration Of The Walt Disney Animated Studios’ **Please note for the Blu-ray collection that the 5 films below are DVD discs as they are not available on Blu-ray**: Saludos Amigos (1943) The Three Caballeros (1945) Make Mine Music (1946) Melody Time (1948) The Black Cauldron (1985.

Click Spoiler to see entire list
Number Title Year of release
1 Snow White 1937
2 Pinocchio 1940
3 Fantasia 1940
4 Dumbo 1941
5 Bambi 1942
6 Saludos Amigos 1942 (DVD)
7 The Three Caballeros 1944 (DVD)
8 Make Mine Music 1946(DVD)
9 Fun & Fancy Free 1947
10 Melody Time 1948(DVD)
11 Ichabod & Mr Toad 1949
12 Cinderella 1950
13 Alice In Wonderland 1951
14 Peter Pan 1953
15 Lady & The Tramp 1955
16 Sleeping Beauty 1959
17 101 Dalmatians 1961
18 The Sword in the Stone 1963
19 The Jungle Book 1967
20 The Aristocats 1970
21 Robin Hood 1973
22 The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh 1977
23 The Rescuers 1977
24 The Fox & The Hound 1981
25 The Black Cauldron 1985 (DVD)
26 Basil The Great Mouse Detective 1986
27 Oliver & Company 1988
28 The Little Mermaid 1989
29 Rescuers Down Under 1990
30 Beauty & the Beast 1991
31 Aladdin 1992
32 The Lion King 1994
33 Pocahontas 1995
34 The Hunchback of Notre Dame 1996
35 Hercules 1997
36 Mulan 1998
37 Tarzan 1999
38 Fantasia 2000 2000
39 The Emperor's New Groove 2001
40 Atlantis 2001
41 Lilo & Stitch 2002
42 Treasure Planet 2002
43 Brother Bear 2003
44 Home On The Range 2004
45 Chicken Little 2005
46 The Wild 2006
47 Meet The Robinsons 2007
48 Bolt 2008
49 The Princess & the Frog 2009
50 Tangled 2010
51 Wreck-It Ralph 2012
52 Frozen 2013
53 Big Hero 6 2014
54 Zootropolis 2016
55 Moana 2016

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Huh. I had no clue the vault was a North American thing.

Pretty much -- or at least since the VHS days. I can't remember if they used to be pulled regularly in the early days of DVD, but since the full time region locking and PAL issues it didn't make a lot of sense to pay attention back then. I do know none of teh UK Blurays have ever been removed from Sale.

The Vault 14 are pretty much available everywhere else in the world pretty much continuously. it's one of the reasons it's always baffled me to see people paying $100 for The Lion King or Fantasia or Little Mermaid when they were vaulted here. the region Free UK (of Aus or German) versions were usually $10-15.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK

Your point about Disney being sticklers for asset management is well-taken. However, they have also been known to severely flub their 'preservation' techniques in the final hour: The Sword and the Stone Blu is atrocious. Executive logic chose to truncate an already fully restored Bedknobs and Broomsticks for its Blu-ray release after an HD streaming master of the complete version was available online. It too has since been replaced by the shorter version - inexplicably so.

And Disney Inc., if they are in fact performing meticulous 4K remasters of their entire back catalog (save, Song of the South, which again, the studio seems perfectly contented to let vanish into their history) then, precisely for what purpose, I am sure I do not know if it isn't to actually release 4K in 4K - the only format capable of yielding a true native 4K image (at present) is 4K Blu-ray. Not streaming!

As the techno end of home entertainment toys with 8K (if and when this will crest on the horizon remains to be seen), the purveyors of actual home video content (like Disney) seem contented to let most of their back catalog remain in the inferior 720p DVD format, or merely do a half-hearted job of providing marginally improved HD masters for streaming purposes. Something wrong here. Very wrong indeed. We have the hardware - bravo! What about the software?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK

As Disney's early Blu-rays were all 'region free' one can safely import this box in North America and still enjoy its content, provided, of course, one doesn't already own 3/4 of these titles already over the years. Personally, I don't get the release of a 'comprehensive' collection after all these years. This ought to have been a box launch in several volumes at the start of the Blu-ray format to coincide with the separate releases so the public could decide for themselves what they want and how they wish to make their purchases. Only the die hard Disneyphile collector will be interested in getting this now. Those who already own these movies individually will pass.

Also, interesting the cover art of the box is Mickey and Pluto since we get no Mickey and Pluto shorts in this set or Mickey Mouse period (save the Sorcerer's Apprentice from Fantasia) - but no Celebrating Mickey, no Mickey's Christmas Carol, etc. No Silly Symphonies either. And, of course, none of the live action/animation masterpieces like Song of the South or The Reluctant Dragon. Saludos Amigos and the Three Caballeros is available as a Club exclusive and ought to have been made available for this box on Blu too. So, this box is merely a repackage of stuff we already have, albeit with really beautiful inserts and artwork to boot. I think it looks fabulous. But its hardly complete, and that is a genuine shame.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Your point about Disney being sticklers for asset management is well-taken. However, they have also been known to severely flub their 'preservation' techniques in the final hour: The Sword and the Stone Blu is atrocious. Executive logic chose to truncate an already fully restored Bedknobs and Broomsticks for its Blu-ray release after an HD streaming master of the complete version was available online. It too has since been replaced by the shorter version - inexplicably so.

And Disney Inc., if they are in fact performing meticulous 4K remasters of their entire back catalog (save, Song of the South, which again, the studio seems perfectly contented to let vanish into their history) then, precisely for what purpose, I am sure I do not know if it isn't to actually release 4K in 4K - the only format capable of yielding a true native 4K image (at present) is 4K Blu-ray. Not streaming!

As the techno end of home entertainment toys with 8K (if and when this will crest on the horizon remains to be seen), the purveyors of actual home video content (like Disney) seem contented to let most of their back catalog remain in the inferior 720p DVD format, or merely do a half-hearted job of providing marginally improved HD masters for streaming purposes. Something wrong here. Very wrong indeed. We have the hardware - bravo! What about the software?

Disney has surely not "flubbed" their restoration/preservation work, which all remains safely in storage rooms. What they flubbed were the masters created for Blu-ray release. "At the last minute" people in charge of color grading and sharpening and sound for Blu-ray release have frequently dropped the ball in horrifying ways (SWORD IN THE STONE being a prime example), thinking that a grainless and less Technicolor-saturated image is what modern home audiences want. The originals, meanwhile, still exist, mostly unfucked-with. We just probably won't ever see them. I imagine the studio, insofar as preservation goes, has paid as much attention to SONG OF THE SOUTH as it does most of its catalog, because someone there is forward-looking enough to know that attitudes change over time and that new studio heads in the future might find a way to release it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks