What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (2 Viewers)

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I'm glad to see Disney getting around to releasing some older films. Given what was released last year, I was fearful that Disney had given up on the classics. Now, bring on the original Parent Trap and The Happiest Millionaire!

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I'm glad to see Disney getting around to releasing some older films. Given what was released last year, I was fearful that Disney had given up on the classics. Now, bring on the original Parent Trap and The Happiest Millionaire!

Oh how I would love The Happiest Millionaire and the restored Bedknobs. I don't think we will ever see Bedknobs, and I do wonder about Millionaire. The Happiest Millionaire looked so good on the Anchor Bay DVD version, I think the blu-ray would blow us away. So bring on the wind!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that these are coming separately and not as one of those 2-Movie Collections Disney was so fond of a few years ago.
I don't remember them ever pairing an older film and a modern film. These two films have different audiences. I have 0 interest in the remake. There are some that like both but its not in their best interest to mix old and modern together.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't think I've ever seen Freaky Friday...I'll add this one to the list. I'm also really happy to see older films continue to flow out on disc.

As we say a lot in this thread, let's get 20,000 Leagues in high def, along with The Black Hole and The Black Cauldron. Please?

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm definitely interested in the original film. I really liked that one. I remember seeing it quite a few times in the early days of the Disney channel on cable (mid '80s I guess). It must have come on some of the old UHF stations too but i'm trouble remembering. Fun film though. I don't care anything about the remake though, that's for sure.

I still hope for the Black Hole one of these days. The Black Cauldron would be nice too but the effects on Black Hole are just wonderful.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
And if this does happen, I hope it's both the 1961 original and the 1998 remake with the 1986 film Parent Trap II thrown in.
More than likely it will be the same thing they just did with Freaky Friday. A separate release of Parent trap 1961 and Parent trap 1998 released at the same time. I'm not sure they would do Parent Trap II on blu ray since it was a tv movie. Maybe as a SD bonus with the original.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm hoping that The Black Cauldron -- whenever they get around to releasing it -- will be a standard release to all retailers. Hoping.

It definitely should get the treatment of their other theatrical animated films. I know it's always been the "black sheep" of the Disney animated theatrical films, but still...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't think we will ever see Bedknobs,

If they ever want another dime out of me, they will re-restore it. I have not given one red cent to this company since August 12, 2014, and anything I want that I don't already have can easily be obtained on the used market so someone else gets my money. Portobello Road has competition now: the Internet.

YouTube (and these days DailyMotion as well, now that I can hook my new laptop to my home theater) also helps fill in gaps in my knowledge, especially regarding the parks. Some of those Marty Pasetta or Smith & Hemion park specials are hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
More than likely it will be the same thing they just did with Freaky Friday. A separate release of Parent trap 1961 and Parent trap 1998 released at the same time. I'm not sure they would do Parent Trap II on blu ray since it was a tv movie. Maybe as a SD bonus with the original.
If Parent Trap II was shot on film, then it would benefit from a HD/UHD transfer & Blu-ray release.
But I'm not holding my breath.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Seeing any 1980s TV movies on UHD would shock me. I was surprised to see The Burning Bed come out on Blu-ray as it is. How much of Disney's pre-1990s TV material is in HD anywhere right now? From that same year as the film you mentioned (1986), The Christmas Star, in which Ed Asner plays Santa Claus, has an HD master for rent or to "buy" on the usual sources. They've also remastered two Disney Afternoon cartoons for foreign TV and iTunes. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
If Parent Trap II was shot on film, then it would benefit from a HD/UHD transfer & Blu-ray release.
But I'm not holding my breath.
While shot on film, like most 90s TV projects, it was most likely edited and finished on video. Creating an HD master would probably require going back to the vaulted camera negatives and re-editing from scratch.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't remember them ever pairing an older film and a modern film. These two films have different audiences. I have 0 interest in the remake. There are some that like both but its not in their best interest to mix old and modern together.
Disney would often repackage individual releases
Parent_Trap_Triple-720x483.jpg

FF.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Disney would often repackage individual releases
View attachment 44321

View attachment 44324
Never saw that Parent Trap weird combination and I would never have purchased it. The Freaky Friday set is just two DVDs put together which was very common for stores like Best Buy, Target and Walmart often two unrelated films were put together. And I think the key is repackage them. They were not originally released on DVD that way so we can't expect original releases on blu ray to be released that way. But either way that isn't the release model that the Disney Movie club uses or they would have put the Honey I shrunk the kids films and Mighty Ducks films together. They did it with the 2 short Three Cabelleros movies and the 2 Davey Crockett films that were originally a TV series but those are exceptions.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Disney is holding on to dozens of made-for-television films, some of them quite good. The best I can remember is THE GIRL WHO SPELLED FREEDOM (1986), the story of an American family (parented by Wayne Rogers and Mary Kay Place) who welcome into their home four or five young refugees from Pol Pot's Cambodia. One of the girls eventually becomes a contender in a nation-wide spelling bee. Based on a true story and beautifully filmed and performed. Another I enjoyed was THE BLUE YONDER (1985) with Huckleberry Fox and Art Carney. Maybe we'll get 'em, maybe we won't.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Around the time she had a recurring role as Ann Romano's mother on One Day at a Time, the late Nanette Fabray appeared in a nice little film called Amy, which starred Jenny Agutter, in 1981. Set at a school for the deaf, it was one of the first Disney movies about differently abled people, if not the first. That was supposed to have aired on the Sunday night anthology show, but they gave it a theatrical release instead because they thought it was too good to leave at the mercy of football and 60 Minutes. It got an MOD DVD from Amazon, but a remastered disc someday would be appreciated.

Inversely, a lot of their movies that only aired here on TV got theatrical releases overseas. Jodie Foster's first Disney show, Menace on the Mountain, was on TV here in 1970 and in theaters in Europe in 1972. Another one, Ride a Northbound Horse, starred Carroll O'Connor two years before he first created the role of Archie Bunker.

There's a book called The Wonderful World of Disney Television by Bill Cotter that covers everything the studio did for TV up to about 1997 when the anthology show came back to TV for a third time. IIRC, it was during that particular run when they actually started taking HD into consideration.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Small update. A poster on bluray said a DMC rep told them on the phone that the release date for the Freaky Friday pair will be 3/27/2018.

That's not 100% since reps have passed on some incorrect info in the past, but this was already the best guess release date.
Usually closer to the date more reps should (re)confirm this.
These type exclusives have never had a pre-order phase so release/order date should be simultaneous.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The 2003 Freaky Friday is a re-remake. The first remake was done for TV in 1995 with Shelley Long and Gaby Hoffman.

The original 1976 film got Mary Rodgers, daughter of Richard, to actually write the script to the film version of her own book. The DVD interview with Jodie Foster will likely not make the jump from format to format, and its menu had a partial instrumental version of Kasha & Hirschhorn's "I'd Like To Be You For A Day" that will likely remain DVD-only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks