What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (2 Viewers)

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
My Disney Dream List (have to be dreaming to think they'd reach back to their vintage programming like that). The five titles, or seven depending on how one counts a trilogy, now consume eight-hundred words, which I no longer deem appropriate to post here - I'm not going to burden this thread with something so lengthy.

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Considered linking to a blog post but will likely just start a thread for it - something I've always been reluctant to do (starting a new thread). Plus now, it's over 1000 words. Ha ha, we'll see if anyone reads it.

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
RELEASE DATE March 28, 2023

Cinderella (Club Exclusive) 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Code $29.99 (temp price drop Regular Club Price $34.95)​

1st Classic Disney to be released in 4K UHD format.

2399710.jpg

Plot Summary
Walt Disney's iconic 1950 animated masterpiece, Cinderella, has been beloved by many for generations. Experience this timeless tale of transformation, wishes, and dreams that come true like never before in spectacular 4K. Join the kind-hearted Cinderella, her loyal mouse friends, Jaq and Gus, and her very own Fairy Godmother in a story the whole family can fall in love with, time and time again. Celebrate the legacy of Disney's classic fairy tale and share in the magic that will last long after midnight!

Blu-ray Bonus Extras Include:

• Tangled Ever After Animated Short
  • Never-Before-Seen Alternate Opening Sequence
  • Gag Reel & Deleted Scenes
  • Personalized Digital Storybook: Bibbidi-Bobbidi-You — A Disney Second Screen Experience
  • Behind The Magic: A New Disney Princess Fantasyland
  • The Real Fairy Godmother
(Bonus Varies By Format)

MY GUESS is this will have a normal wide release as a 4K/BD/DC Release and this isn't a full DMC Exclusive.
DMC often has specific exclusive format releases adding the extra DVD

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Very interesting. Makes one wonder if anymore Walt-era films will be getting this treatment (Sword in the Stone is pretty much 4K ready with the Disney+ transfer). I just hope they didn’t go overboard on the DNR again with this film.

Edit: Interesting side note as far as Cinderella. A few months ago, someone dug up an old Hollywood Reporter article which revealed that Disney was initially considering using Prokofiev’s ballet score for the film (much as they would later adapt Tchaikovsky for Sleeping Beauty). While I can see why Walt decided against it at the time (probably too risky after Fantasia), I can’t help but wonder what the film would have been like had they used the Prokofiev music.

Last edited:

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
If "Club-exclusive format" refers to the included DVD and not the 4K UHD, that seems like false-advertising at best. Blu-ray copies including a DVD are readily available in the marketplace.

What are the odds that this release will not be scrubbed of all grain?

This is a very interesting development as I would have expected a title like 'The Black Cauldron', which is already in 4K on Disney+ and also a Club-exclusive on Blu-ray to be released in this manner first.

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
It's possible the Exclusive format is the 4K, but that goes a bit against the grain of usual DMC labelling. It's over 2 months until release so I;m sure more information will come out in the interim and Disney in general mostly gives about a month's pre-notice on upcoming releases so this is a bit out of the ordinary already.

As far as transfer/encode -- I think it's going to be a long number weeks of sheer speculation, chest thumping, howling at the moon, and unending complaints before someone actually can see what's on the 4K disc and if the BD will be recycled disc or something new. Hopefully in the end, there will be plenty of mea culpa's and Emily Litella's.

DMC has had a bunch of different kind of Exclusives over the years including their True Exclusives which basically have only a US/CAN DMC release (and even those now have a couple exceptions with Pacifier and Flight of the Navigator). Otherwise there are numerous BD/DVD/DC Exclusives where the std release is BD/DC, there are a couple Exclusive that add a Digital Copy, there are Slipcover Exclusives, and there have been a few Timed Exclusive like the upcoming Mickey & Minnie

There is an apparently interesting upcoming release that I'm thinking likely may have been changed somewhere in the production.
Strange World 4K so far is only available to order on DMC and as a BBY Exclusive Steelbook. I didn't notice until someone pointed it out that DMI actually lists it as
a Movie Club Exclusive. The odd thing is nothing on DMC indicates the 4K is any sort of exclusive -- no exclusive badges on the cover, nothing in the item description or
even banner ads that say it's a Club Exclusive. There have been Disney items in the fairly recent past that were only put up for pre-order in the last 5-10 days before
release, but most of those were 2-3 years ago. So far only the Exclusive 4K Steel, BD and DVD have pre-orders up on the normal large retailers.
It's almost like Disney was planning a normal release but somewhere in the last 2-3 weeks changed their mind. If so, presumably due to the film's bad across the board
reviews and Box Office.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If "Club-exclusive format" refers to the included DVD and not the 4K UHD, that seems like false-advertising at best. Blu-ray copies including a DVD are readily available in the marketplace.

What are the odds that this release will not be scrubbed of all grain?
Best Friends GIF by Mickey Mouse
maybe an A ticket

1674584808295.png

1674585005018.png

at Disneyland ;)!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
In the take it at face value, but confirm later:

DISNEY Facebook Rep seems to have confirmed to a couple posters that Cinderella 4K is slated for a wide release and the DMC exclusive is merely a different packaging/format variation. No mention if this will be a timed exclusive like the Mickey and Minnie Shorts or synch release with everybody having the same street date.

That actually fits best with the language used in the DMC Description, but I consider Social Media reps at best a mediocre source of accurate information

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Amazingly there are very few 1950s Color/ Cinecolor Sci-Fi films. This title, War of the Worlds, When Worlds Collide and Forbidden Planet, Destination Moon, This Island Earth, The Blob and the Fly. And streching it, I guess you could include Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20 Thousand Leages Under ths Sea...
but for the most part, all of these were destined for the Drive-In Crowds
Gee Captain, once we get Invaders From Mars on Blu-ray, the only title on your list of color Sci-Fi films of the 50s that we won't have on disc here, is 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (which badly needs a quality Blu-ray release!) It's a real mystery to me why Disney has never created a Blu-ray of "20,000 Leagues" for the U.S. market, since not only is the movie one of Disney's most highly regarded live action films, but was also a major box office hit, & even had a few re-releases. Maybe you, or one of our fellow HTF members, has some idea of why that terrific movie has never had a U.S. Blu-ray release from Disney, since its many fans would quickly snap up such a disc!

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Disney released a Blu-ray of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea through their movie club nearly four years ago, in the summer of 2019.
Thanks Josh! Until you let me know that, I'd had no idea that 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea had ever been out on Blu-ray in our country. Was it a quality release? And maybe, was that Blu-ray out just a relatively short time until Disney put it back into the vault, so to speak? Because as we all are, I'm certainly aware of how Disney has released some of it prized movie possessions on various home video formats, over the years, with those same movies then being withdrawn from sales availability after having been on the home video market for certain lengths of time.

Anyway, Josh, really appreciate any info you may be able to provide about past, or possibly future, Blu-ray releases of "20,000 Leagues". And thanks for responding on this early Sunday morning, but since my wife & I have to get up in less than 6 hours, to meet a couple for breakfast, have got to shut down this laptop now, and hit the hay, a lot earlier than I often exit HTF. But have a GREAT rest of your weekend, and you & your loved ones, stay safe!

Dave Blair

Agent
Real Name
David Blair
I have both the Blu-ray & the DVD of “20,000 Leagues.” The Blu-ray has no extras while that DVD has many. The movie was restored a few years before the Blu-ray and new Release Print struck for an anniversary showing.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I’m not sure why you both seem to think it’s unavailable. It’s still in print through the Disney Movie Club. It’s exclusive to club members but it’s not a limited edition.
Additionally, you can easily find copies on eBay for around $30.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Gee Captain, once we get Invaders From Mars on Blu-ray, the only title on your list of color Sci-Fi films of the 50s that we won't have on disc here, is 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (which badly needs a quality Blu-ray release!) It's a real mystery to me why Disney has never created a Blu-ray of "20,000 Leagues" for the U.S. market, since not only is the movie one of Disney's most highly regarded live action films, but was also a major box office hit, & even had a few re-releases. Maybe you, or one of our fellow HTF members, has some idea of why that terrific movie has never had a U.S. Blu-ray release from Disney, since its many fans would quickly snap up such a disc!
there is a 20KLUTS va the Disney Club. that's where I got mine, but it wasn't a restored or updated edition...but it's still nice, expecting less is the Mouses' moto!!! The BDs you are seeing on eBay and elsewhere are those thatbought via the Disney club @ $18.99 0rless and by bumping up the price to make $$$. They did the same with Something Wicked this Way Comes BD. It too was in dire need of a restoration...no new print or bonus features!! Very Disappointing on both counts!!!

Attachments

• 71GuwGxedxL._SL1185_.jpg
    71GuwGxedxL._SL1185_.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 12
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks