What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Ian Such

Stunt Coordinator
Just added my name as well.

Any bare-bones remaster would be most welcome now, and I'd buy again for the SE.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Eight years have gone by since I last saw it, and I was completely blown away!
I first saw the movie when it came out (I was 12). I was too young to appreciate it and was expecting more "Star Wars" type action from it since I was used to see Harrison Ford as Han Solo and Indiana Jones.

Now being 31, I appreciate it. It really is a great movie; definitely an underrated film.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
"We've got a month or so left. I'm saying no more."
:confused:???????????
A month or so left until the Warner Brothers chat here at HTF is what I believe he meant. He hopes that if enough people sign the petition it may help convince WB to put out a minor SE to tide us over until the super fantastic special edition may be available.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little confused. Warner is already very aware that there is a huge demand for a new release of Blade Runner - far more than just the interested members of HTF and other DVD oriented forums. If they could release a better version, not just a fully loaded SE version, they would.
You could have a petition with a million names on it, but until the mutal parties with controlling interest of the film can all agree to allow this to happen - it won't.
The sistuation with Blade Runner is clearly out of the hands of the fans. Unless of course you are willing to give Perenchio an 'offer' he can't refuse. ;)

Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I meant a month until the Warners chat. :)
Nils, I don't think the situation is that clear, is it ?
Warner Brothers have been focused on this special edition. I don't think releasing an interim version has been on their minds. Most of us are presuming that - because the Director's Cut is still freely available - this version in itself has not been tied up in the Perenchio situation.
If that's true then there should be no real problem in restoring that - indeed, the work may well have been done - and a commentary by Scott is probably clear as well.
Reading between the lines, I can tell maybe I've been a bit haranguing in my tone, and I apologise if that's the case.
The petition may well make no difference to the situation. I'm sure you're probably right. If you want to be absolutely CERTAIN that it won't, then don't sign it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, an interim edition could sell well to non-die-hard fans, drying up the sales potential of a special edition, which would then nix the prospects for a special edition for real...

Real Name
Anthony
That's a possibility. But I'd just reiterate that the impetus for this petition is the fear that this SE is now dead in the water. If there's some hope of it appearing anytime soon - if WB says, on the chat, that they're pretty sure it'll arrive in 2005 - then fine ; I've waited this long, another year won't hurt. But the word on it is pretty pessimistic.

That said, I'm not sure it would affect the SE that much anyway. If that was the way the market worked, then we wouldn't have had the T2 : UE or the recent Halloween release.

Ingels

Agent
Real Name
Nicklas Ingels
Post # 145 by Nils Luehrmann says:
From what I've heard and read it seems like Mr. Perenchio's last problem in this world is spelled Money..
I think this is where the problem are, what is it that Mr. Perenchio want that will solve this problem.. or is it one of those problems that will stay un-solved. I think that our hope should be that Warner Bros. or maybe Sir Scott would get the ownership to everything that is "Blade Runner", then we might get so see our long lost and wanted final cut of Blade Runner
(By saying "Final cut" I mean the 1982 version and the new final directors cut)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I think what is preventing the deluxe edition is the fact that Perenchio owns the original 1982 cut exclusively. The unsupervised "Director's Cut" version is owned exclusively by Time-Warner, so Warner Home Video can release that version on any format as much times as they want as long as they renew the copyright(s). So they could quite easily release a new DVD edition of Blade Runner: The Director's Cut with a new down-converted hi-def transfer, 5.1 sound and Scott commentary.
It is of great importance that as much information on this DVD release is garnered from Warner at the next chat. This is a great, great film - a film which is a very imporant work of late 20th Century art, in my opinion.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
From what I've heard and read it seems like Mr. Perenchio's last problem in this world is spelled Money..
I'm sure you've seen The Godfather. :)
The 'offer' doesn't involve money, but something like 'either your brains or Bladerunner SE will be on these three versatile discs, Mr. Perenchio'. ;)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The unsupervised "Director's Cut" version is owned exclusively by Time-Warner, so Warner Home Video can release that version on any format as much times as they want as long as they renew the copyright(s).
As a side note, copyrights do not need to get renewed for works made beginning in 1978. They simply run for the full length of their term (95 years for works made for hire such as Blade Runner).
DJ

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Forget about a SE, I want the Dir Cut w/ new 16x9 transfer and DTS:) soundtrack and Ill be happy

Real Name
Anthony
If what Damin says is true, then the petition is pointless, yes. What would be really good is a definitive statement on this from WB, and some idea of whether negotiations are continuing, or in complete shutdown.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Thank you Damin. The petition, or any of the sort, would at least raise even more awareness that there are profits to be made. If anything can awaken this dead-horse of a machine, I would think the dollar to prevail. I've already mailed Mr. Perenchio and WB a blank check with a note stating "Take whatever you need"

Jack, I much prefer this new and improved title. Add an ARRGH!! and you'd have a winner.

Matthew_Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Such a shame this has to happen to this film.
Why couldn't something deserving of a DVD impasse like intolerable cruelty get stuck in legal hell instead. :frowning:
*sigh*

Ingels

Agent
Real Name
Nicklas Ingels
In post #154 by JonZ:
Forget about a SE, I want the Dir Cut w/ new 16x9 transfer and DTS soundtrack and Ill be happy
I could not be happier then to get the 1982 version with DTS or DD 5.1 and a good video transfer together with (a new) Directors Cut and a commentary track by Sir Scott (and maybe some others.. How about Ford ;)) and the dream would be to get an audiotrack with Vangelis wonderful music as an option.
Sure, I think that Warner Bros. should release a new DVD edition of the "old" Directors Cut if they can. The one that's out now (I think it's withdrawn and/or no longer available atleast here in Sweden) is not what it oughta be, all respect that it's a early DVD release from Warner Bros. but they should have done it better by now..
I guess all we can do is hope for the best and pray that the parties involved get together and solve one of the biggest tragedies (atleast it is one for me) in the history of DVD.
(Sorry but it seems I need to go back and edit every post here..)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks