What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Look. We’re just discussing opinions here. Not absolutes. Let’s agree to disagree and move on.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You know, this is such a crazy year that everything that could be considered a frontrunner also has a major reason why it's not. So predictions are going to be difficult.

Roma is tied for the most nominations, and has wide support across branches as evidenced by where its nominations were, but it's a foreign film, so it will win that category, and no fully subtitled film has ever won Best Picture.

Green Book has the Golden Globe (as a comedy) and the PGA Award, but no Director nomination.

A Star is Born is a huge box office and critical hit, but has less nominations than expected, and hasn't been winning precursor awards, plus doesn't have the Director nomination.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
According to Variety, the Academy is looking at a plan where they would only ask for "Shallow" (from A Star is Born) and "All the Stars" (from Black Panther) to be performed on the telecast. The other three nominated songs would be acknowledged only when the category is presented and the nominees are read.

https://variety.com/2019/film/award...ck-lamar-best-song-performers-cut-1203117143/

Nope, nope, nope.

If true, I think this is a boneheaded move. If you're going to cut the song performances (which I don't think they should), you'd need to cut all of them to appear fair. This means Emily Blunt won't sing The Place Where Lost Things Go, Jennifer Hudson (a previous Oscar winner!) won't sing the song from RBG, and I'm not really sure about the people who wrote the song from Buster Scruggs, but they should be allowed to perform that too.

This article is brand new and also refers to the Academy's plan to present some of the categories and speeches off-air during the commercial breaks, so it appears they are still going with that plan despite my and @Tino's wishes otherwise yesterday.

Hey y'all at the Academy: don't be morons. Don't insult your nominees. You CAN poduce the show in three hours WITH all the song nominees AND all the awards. You cut down on the presenter banter, celebratory clip montages and dumb unrelated skits (most of which are driven by the host anyway, which won't be a factor this year.) You bring all the nominees in a given category backstage prior to the category being presented, so that the winner only has to walk out from backstage and not from their seat.

Do it right, people. It isn't that hard.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
According to Variety, the Academy is looking at a plan where they would only ask for "Shallow" (from A Star is Born) and "All the Stars" (from Black Panther) to be performed on the telecast. The other three nominated songs would be acknowledged only when the category is presented and the nominees are read.

https://variety.com/2019/film/award...ck-lamar-best-song-performers-cut-1203117143/

Nope, nope, nope.

If true, I think this is a boneheaded move. If you're going to cut the song performances (which I don't think they should), you'd need to cut all of them to appear fair. This means Emily Blunt won't sing The Place Where Lost Things Go, Jennifer Hudson (a previous Oscar winner!) won't sing the song from RBG, and I'm not really sure about the people who wrote the song from Buster Scruggs, but they should be allowed to perform that too.

This article is brand new and also refers to the Academy's plan to present some of the categories and speeches off-air during the commercial breaks, so it appears they are still going with that plan despite my and @Tino's wishes otherwise yesterday.

Hey y'all at the Academy: don't be morons. Don't insult your nominees. You CAN poduce the show in three hours WITH all the song nominees AND all the awards. You cut down on the presenter banter, celebratory clip montages and dumb unrelated skits (most of which are driven by the host anyway, which won't be a factor this year.) You bring all the nominees in a given category backstage prior to the category being presented, so that the winner only has to walk out from backstage and not from their seat.

Do it right, people. It isn't that hard.
That’s pure BULLSHIT!:angry::angry::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If my common sense fixes are beyond them, I'm available to consult if they want my opinion on how you get all of the awards and all of the songs into one three-hour show. I'd even do it for free because I love the Oscars.

But, you know, the common sense approach is too easy so they won't do it. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Obviously, they suspect that Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper performing Shallow, and Kendrick Lamar performing All the Stars, will bring attention to the telecast and go viral afterwards, which is what they want. That's why those two aren't being eliminated.

But it's monumentally stupid and disrespectful to the other nominees, which happen to include famous people. Emily Blunt. Jennifer Hudson. And I don't know anything about the Buster Scruggs song but still.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
But it's monumentally stupid and disrespectful to the other nominees, which happen to include famous people. Emily Blunt. Jennifer Hudson. And I don't know anything about the Buster Scruggs song but still.
Absolutely. The Oscars are about honoring people for their craft. Sorry, but they shouldn’t cater to the tv audience to increase their ratings. If people think the show is too long or boring they shouldn’t watch it. Is the Academy honoring the nominees and winners with these moves? No. In actuality they are disrespecting them.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Maybe they can have the best song performances take place during the commercial breaks and then broadcast the winner after the award is presented. The rest of the performances can be released online. This way all the songs will be performed and can all be watched if a person so chooses and they can show the presentation for all of the categories.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sorry, but they shouldn’t cater to the tv audience to increase their ratings. If people think the show is too long or boring they shouldn’t watch it.

I have no problem at all with promoting the presence of Shallow and/or All the Stars as a means of grabbing ratings. TV is a ratings-minded business after all. Excluding the others is what I have a problem with. They're all nominees. They should all perform.

they can show the presentation for all of the categories.

As the article I linked in my above post makes clear, some categories are going to be cut AND three of the songs are going to be cut. Even if they cut all the songs, they would still present some of the categories off the air in the name of a three-hour running time. As I've long maintained, the songs aren't the issue. It's the rest of the pandering crap, like movie stars walking into a movie theater to interrupt a screening of Disney's next big movie, that causes the show to run over.

That being said, Shallow is locked in to win that award. They might as well engrave the Oscars now. So the winner will still perform.

But that's not the point.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As the article I linked in my above post makes clear, some categories are going to be cut AND three of the songs are going to be cut
Actually it’s NOT clear. It’s hinted at. Nothing is definitive yet. So there’s still hope.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think it's clear that the article is saying that's the plan right now today as far as their sources are saying.

Whether they stick to that plan or not is of course an open question. I hope they don't as I don't like it.

But my point in the post you quoted is that the songs being cut wouldn't automatically mean all the awards would be presented on the telecast.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anonymous sources yes. NOT the Academy. Anything is possible.

“The Academy declined specific comment except to say that no decision on song performances has been made yet.

A source with knowledge of the Academy’s thinking says cutting songs is less a knock on the nominees than something long discussed as part of this year’s mandate to limit the show to three hours. The Academy has hinted that several Oscars (for so-called “craft” categories such as sound editing and sound mixing) will be presented during commercials, an already controversial move.”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
7pm Eastern time.

Bingo! That is a great idea.

I'm not sure why it doesn't start until 8:30, other than that they want to have lots of time for red carpet arrivals ahead of the actual show (although if that's an issue, they could just move those forward as well.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bingo! That is a great idea.

I'm not sure why it doesn't start until 8:30, other than that they want to have lots of time for red carpet arrivals ahead of the actual show (although if that's an issue, they could just move those forward as well.)
TV wants as much of it as possible in Prime time even on the weekends.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
7pm Eastern is primetime on a Sunday. The networks schedule beginning at 7pm on Sundays.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
7pm Eastern is primetime on a Sunday. The networks schedule beginning at 7pm on Sundays.
Then that aligns with what I said, the networks want as much of the show in primetime as possible. If it started 7:00 p.m. ETA that is 4:00 p.m. on the west coast. By starting it at 8:30 p.m. ET, all but the first 90 minutes are in primetime on the west coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks