What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I doubt it will matter, but it's worth noting that Isle of Dogs also received a nomination for Best Score. Spider-Verse (and all of the other Animated Feature nominees except Dogs) are nominated exclusively in that category. Being able to consider it in two categories instead of one might act as an additional incentive for Academy members to check out Isle of Dogs. (Of course, they don't have to have seen all the nominees to vote anyway.)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think it should always be considered, particularly over the last 20 years or so, what the Academy likes to give awards to. It seems less and less about great filmmaking, which is what it should be about, and particularly in the last 5-10 years about "what are we saying with these awards."
Disagree. While the BP winners have not always lined up with my choices I believe the Academy has gotten it right for the most part.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Disagree. While the BP winners have not always lined up with my choices I believe the Academy has gotten it right for the most part.
Even in 2006, when they selected Crash as BP? That was film that many thought was awarded for the message and themes, rather than film quality.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Even in 2006, when they selected Crash as BP? That was film that many thought was awarded for the message and themes, rather than film quality.

Crash was the film they awarded because they were too scared to give Best Picture to "the gay cowboy movie" like they should have.

One of the unfortunate things about the La La Land/Moonlight mixup is that it took away focus from the fact that, ten years later, the Academy was finally awarding its top prize to a film with a gay protagonist, which shouldn't have taken that long.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Crash was the film they awarded because they were too scared to give Best Picture to "the gay cowboy movie" like they should have.

One of the unfortunate things about the La La Land/Moonlight mixup is that it took away focus from the fact that, ten years later, the Academy was finally awarding its top prize to a film with a gay protagonist, which shouldn't have taken that long.
Possibly, but there were other options on the ballot, as well. Voters chose the "message" movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Voters chose the "message" movie.

Right. It was the safe "message" movie they felt comfortable with even though its message felt like an antique lesson that should have been learned years ago -- "Racism is bad!" -- rather than embracing something truly progressive and influential like Brokeback Mountain.

History has proven them wrong on this. The National Film Registry put in Brokeback Mountain last year, but no one remembers Crash for anything that the film actually did creatively. It's only ever mentioned now in the context of its upset victory.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I loved Crash. I had no problem with it winning BP.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Since we obviously can’t see into the mind of voters, we can speculate all we want on what they were “thinking”. Maybe, just maybe, they actually voted for the film they liked best. Imagine that.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Should have?? Says who? They don’t have to do anything.

I liked Brokeback but I thought Crash was better.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Maybe, just maybe, they actually voted for the film they liked best. Imagine that.

Of course they did. I'm saying they probably liked Crash because it was safe, which is the same reason that those voters wouldn't have liked Brokeback Mountain.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Of course they did. I'm saying they probably liked Crash because it was safe, which is the same reason that those voters wouldn't have liked Brokeback Mountain.
Don’t know if I agree with that Jake.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Then we've hit another agree to disagree situation, which is fine.

Like I said before, though, history has demonstrated the continued importance of Brokeback Mountain and the irrelevance of Crash. History will remember films in its way, regardless of what the Academy declares.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Should have?? Says who?
A poll of Academy voters by The Hollywood Reporter in 2015:

It’s a decision that prompted howls of outrage at the time, and earnest bafflement from critics ever since: Paul Haggis’s multi-stranded LA drama Crash beating Ang Lee’s cowboy romance Brokeback Mountain to the best picture Oscar in 2006. But now, thanks to a survey by the Hollywood Reporter, Brokeback can at least be comforted that industry consensus is officially on its side.

The trade publication polled hundreds of Academy members about controversial or close-run decisions, asking them to imagine that they were recasting their vote today. Brokeback came out on top, beating Crash as well as fellow nominees Munich, Good Night and Good Luck, and Capote.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...past-oscar-decisions-crash-brokeback-mountain

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No it hasn’t. C’mon Jake. You’re letting your opinions take over. ;)

No one discusses Crash anymore for the merits of the film; only in debates like this about it beating Brokeback does it come up.

By contrast, Brokeback is still talked about as a great film. It was just selected by the Library of Congress as "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and a copy has been preserved in the National Film Registry.

They don't have Crash in there.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Next you guys are gonna say Jack Palance misspoke when he announced Marisa Tomei as best supporting actress winner.:D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Next you guys are gonna say Jack Palance misspoke when he announced Marisa Tomei as best supporting actress winner.:D

The conspiracy theorists about that were proven wrong in 2017. The Academy could have just let La La Land walk offstage with the trophy and no one would have been the wiser. They didn't. But they could have. And Best Picture was a much bigger category to admit to screwing up.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The conspiracy theorists about that were proven wrong in 2017. The Academy could have just let La La Land walk offstage with the trophy and no one would have been the wiser. They didn't. But they could have. And Best Picture was a much bigger category to admit to screwing up.
Helloo. It was a Joke. Jeez. Lighten up guys. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks