What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I think the Green Book director not getting nominated might be due to who the director is and the issues some in the academy might have against him.

There were also some tweets unearthed from the film's writer regarding 9/11, which might still have an additional impact on the film's BP chances.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So, does this mean Best Picture will either go to Roma (what I have believed for some time) or The Favourite (which I think I'd be most happy about because I am a fan of Yorgos) because they garnered the most nominations?
No. Garnering the most noms is a guarantee of nothing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the Green Book director not getting nominated might be due to who the director is and the issues some in the academy might have against him.

I'm not surprised, after the recently unearthed article that went into great detail about how he had a game that involved showing his genitals without consent to unsuspecting cast and crew members, which the article said he did over 500 times.

Think of how insane that is. How is that tolerated? A movie set is a workplace. This is not appropriate workplace behavior.

Clearly, ten years ago, that was considered, I guess, funny? But I don't see how that kind of history flies in 2019. The only question for me at this point is whether or not his name on the film will sink the film's chances to get any awards.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am also surprised that Warner botched the submission process (missed the deadline) for submitting They Shall Not Grow Old for the documentary award. That would have seemed like a no-brainer.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks to A-list I've seen almost all of this year's nominees. Below are my picks—what I personally would vote for out of the nominees if I were a member of the Academy.....

BEST PICTURE
A Star Is Born
Bill Gerber, Bradley Cooper and Lynette Howell Taylor, Producers

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Rami Malek
Bohemian Rhapsody

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Lady Gaga
A Star Is Born

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Sam Elliott

A Star Is Born

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Regina King
If Beale Street Could Talk

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Incredibles 2
Brad Bird, John Walker and Nicole Paradis Grindle

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Roma
Alfonso Cuarón

COSTUME DESIGN
Mary Poppins Returns
Sandy Powell

DIRECTING
BlacKkKlansman
Spike Lee

FILM EDITING
Bohemian Rhapsody
John Ottman

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Vice
Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe and Patricia DeHaney

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
Mary Poppins Returns
Marc Shaiman

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
"Shallow" from "A Star Is Born"
Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyatt

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Mary Poppins Returns
Production Design: John Myhre; Set Decoration: Gordon Sim

SOUND EDITING
A Quiet Place
Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl

SOUND MIXING
A Star Is Born
Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic, Jason Ruder and Steve Morrow

VISUAL EFFECTS
Ready Player One
Roger Guyett, Grady Cofer, Matthew E. Butler and David Shirk

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
First Reformed
Written by Paul Schrader

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks to A-list I've seen almost all of this year's nominees. Below are my picks—what I personally would vote for out of the nominees if I were a member of the Academy.....

BEST PICTURE
BlacKkKlansman
Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Raymond Mansfield, Jordan Peele and Spike Lee, Producers

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Rami Malek
Bohemian Rhapsody

Lady Gaga
A Star Is Born

Mahershala Ali
Green Book

Regina King

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Incredibles 2
Brad Bird, John Walker and Nicole Paradis Grindle

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Roma
Alfonso Cuarón

COSTUME DESIGN
Mary Poppins Returns
Sandy Powell

DIRECTING
BlacKkKlansman
Spike Lee

FILM EDITING
Bohemian Rhapsody
John Ottman

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Vice
Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe and Patricia DeHaney

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
Mary Poppins Returns
Marc Shaiman

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyatt

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Mary Poppins Returns
Production Design: John Myhre; Set Decoration: Gordon Sim

SOUND EDITING
A Quiet Place
Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl

SOUND MIXING
A Star Is Born
Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic, Jason Ruder and Steve Morrow

VISUAL EFFECTS
Ready Player One
Roger Guyett, Grady Cofer, Matthew E. Butler and David Shirk

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

First Reformed
Written by Paul Schrader
Yeah. But who do you think will win in those categories. I usually put up my picks the morning of the telecast.

There should be a contest for most correct predictions. I won one year. 22/24 right.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I actually already changed my mind on best picture. I really liked A Star is Born best of the nominees. I have no idea who will win at this point.

I'd be interested to read both what people here personally liked and what they think will win.

It's going to be tough to experience it again, but since I have A-list I think I'm going to try and see A Star is Born a second time. I've changed my best supporting actor pretend vote to Sam Elliott. He's great in this one—and in recognition of a 50-year career.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This thread didn't exist yet while I was posting in the other one this morning during the nominations.

So, this one time, I'm going to re-post what I wrote in there in here.

My favorite documentary of the year was Free Solo, which did get nominated, but Won't You Be My Neighbor? (which I expected to win) did not. Neither did Three Identical Strangers. I've heard of Minding the Gap, which I understand is on Hulu, but I have no idea what Of Fathers and Sons is.

Good for the director of Cold War for getting a directing nomination, which is a surprise to me. I can't wait to see that movie, which opens here on Friday.

This will be the first year in a while where I haven't seen all of the Best picture nominees, as I continue to have no interest in Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody or Vice. If only one of these had gotten in and I had already seen all the other nominees, I might have been persuaded to see the last one for completion's sake, but I'm not going to watch three movies I don't want to see just to round out the category. I thought If Beale Street Could Talk would get in and am kind of surprised that it didn't.

Excellent movies that they could have nominated that didn't get chosen: Eighth Grade, Leave No Trace, Sorry to Bother You, The Guilty (from Denmark, a surprising-to-me omission from Foreign Film.)

It's also worth noting that Isle of Dogs, which got in for Best Original Score, is the only nominee for Animated Feature to also receive a nomination in another category. And First Man, the Globe winner for Score, was not nominated at all.

And Bradley Cooper not getting in for directing is probably my biggest surprise this year. Everyone knows he's a great actor, but his accomplishment as a director was a major part of the discussion around that film, both in terms of putting the film together and in terms of basically teaching Lady Gaga how to act. She got in and he didn't for directing, even though she wouldn't have been able to deliver that performance without his direction.

If I were selecting nominations, I would have put in The Wife for more than just Close's performance -- which is extraordinary, but the film around her is worthy of recognition too. But it hasn't been getting any, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Also, to me, Free Solo had the best cinematography of the year. I'm not sure if its being a documentary made it ineligible, but it would be my pick if I had had a vote in the nomination process, which of course I don't. At least it got in for Documentary.

Also, irony for you: Green Book was originally supposed to go out through Focus Features, but they handed the movie off to their big studio sibling Universal because they felt their slate was too full with Boy Erased, Mary Queen of Scots and On the Basis of Sex, and they couldn't accommodate another title in the fall awards season corridor. Then, Universal scores with Green Book rather than their homegrown First Man; Focus gets into major consideration with BlacKkKlansman, which was a summer release outside the normal awards window; Mary Queen of Scots only gets a couple tech nods; and the other two are completely shut out. I wonder if the team at Focus wishes they had kept Green Book for themselves now.

Also, not such a great year for A24, which only got nominated with First Reformed's screenplay after being really hot the last few years.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Annapurna is a new studio -- they've produced and financed films for other studios before, but in terms of distributing they're new -- and they got Vice in, but not If Beale Street Could Talk. I'm not saying that what studio produces a film matters to the Academy, but the studios certainly do campaign aggressively on the part of their films.

This is all speculation and I want to make clear that I have no scientific data to back this up. However, I have to wonder if, hypothetically, Annapurna's attention was divided between the two movies, and A24 might have been bale to get Beale Street in, if they had produced it instead. Since Eighth Grade was unfortunately a nonstarter, A24 could have devoted more resources to Beale Street without having to also worry about Vice, and of course A24 took Moonlight all the way to its Best Picture win and made their name with it.

Although it was nominated for Supporting Actress, Screenplay and Score, Beale Street not getting a Picture nomination would seem to be a detriment to its continued box office strength, which is really unfortunate. It's only made $10 million so far, most of which probably includes people who were already following the race. I just think it deserves to be more widely-seen than it has been, and that won't happen as easily now. It was probably in the hypothetical #9 or #10 slot and didn't get enough votes at the top of the ballot to trigger a nomination.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to all the predictable yearly bitching about how irrelevant the Oscars are, how someone’s favorite film or performance got “snubbed”, how boring the Oscars are, yadda yadda yadda.
It's hard to make the case for the Oscars' relevancy when The Green Book gets a Best Picture nomination, but Sorry To Bother You does not.

I would love to know how what the overlap is between Driving Miss Daisy in 1989 and The Green Book in 2018. I would suspect a staggering number of the nominations came from the exact same Academy voters.

Best Documentary Feature
Won't You Be My Neighbor?
This is the honestly the one that shocked me the most. I figured it was a lock to win the whole shebang, so I was really surprised that it wasn't even nominated.

Setting aside his Louis CK-esque #MeToo problems, I think there are a lot of Academy voters who look down their noses at the director of There's Something About Mary and Dumb and Dumber.

I've changed my best supporting actor pretend vote to Sam Elliott. He's great in this one—and in recognition of a 50-year career.
He gets my vote as well. I think he's in a strong position, unless The Green Book starts to sweep. If that happens, Ali will probably be carried by the wave.

And Bradley Cooper not getting in for directing is probably my biggest surprise this year. Everyone knows he's a great actor, but his accomplishment as a director was a major part of the discussion around that film, both in terms of putting the film together and in terms of basically teaching Lady Gaga how to act.
I've heard some mumblings that there was some resentment about him not going to the actors' showcase schmoozing events for this awards campaign cycle. Not sure how much those things really factor in.

But if you look at who did get nominated, they're all very showy directors. You've got two black and white films, Vice plays with narrative structure and moves between the historical and the fictional in unconventional ways, BlacKkKlansman is a Spike Lee joint with all that that entails, The Favourite upends the English period drama. Cooper's direction was a lot more naturalistic, and was therefore easier to overlook.

Yeah. Kinda surprised 8th grade didn’t get a screenplay nod.
I'm a little surprised that Elsie Fisher didn't get a Best Actress nod.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Cooper's direction was a lot more naturalistic, and was therefore easier to overlook.

That is an excellent point.

It's hard to make the case for the Oscars' relevancy when The Green Book gets a Best Picture nomination, but Sorry To Bother You does not.

Did Annapurna even do an awards campaign for Sorry to Bother You? Of course they would have submitted it, but their promotional efforts were focused on Vice and Beale Street. I don't recall ever seeing any FYC ads for Sorry to Bother You. It clearly wasn't their priority, and as I noted above, they're a new studio; they might not have had the resources to campaign three titles.

I'm a little surprised that Elsie Fisher didn't get a Best Actress nod.

I loved Eighth Grade and I loved her performance, and if I had been doing the nominating she would have been in. But it doesn't surprise me that she was overlooked here. The Academy doesn't nominate kids too often. I'm not sure I want to call her a "kid," but she's not an adult. The only two times in recent history that I can recall a non-adult getting nominated were the leads of Whale Rider and Beasts of the Southern Wild. I think Fisher was every bit as good in her movie as those two young women were in theirs, but the fact that they're the only two who spring to mind from recently demonstrates how rare it is for the Academy to do that.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Thanks to A-list, this is the first year ever where I have seen all the BP noms before the nominations were announced!

Not a bad list for BP but, I still don't think Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody really deserve BP nominations. I did enjoy both movies a lot but, I never really thought of them as BP caliber films. Bohemian Rhapsody is the biggest surprise because it got very mixed reactions from critics. I love Queen music so I had a blast but, I understand why some didn't like the movie. IMO, Black Panther wasn't even the best superhero movie of the year. That would go to Avengers: Infinity War or Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Honestly, I can think of 4 movies right away that I think deserve a BP nom more then Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody. If Beale Street Could Talk, First Man, A Simple Favor and Widows are all movies I enjoyed far more then those two. I would maybe even throw in Mary, Queen of Scots over them as well.

I have to say something about the Score category since I love movie scores. First, I think last year was a pretty week year for mainstream scores, not much impressed me at all. My 2 favorite scores of the year failed to get nominated, Hurwitz's First Man and Powell's Solo. Hurwitz's score keeps growing on me the more I listen to it and it compliments the movie perfectly. Solo gets downplayed because it's just another Star Wars score but, Powell took a new John Williams theme, plus old ones, and crafted a fun and exciting score. He surprised me because I didn't think he was going to pull it off when they announced him as the composer.

Again, thanks to A-list, I have seen almost all of the nominations in the major categories. So, here is what I would vote for, if I had a vote.

BEST PICTURE
Green Book

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Viggo Mortensen
(this one was close because I loved Bale in Vice)

Lady Gaga

Sam Elliott
(another close one, Ali was great in Green Book)

Regina King

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Roma

COSTUME DESIGN
Mary Poppins Returns

DIRECTING
Roma

FILM EDITING
Vice

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Roma
(honestly, it's the only one I've seen in this category)

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Mary Queen of Scots

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
Mary Poppins Returns

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

PRODUCTION DESIGN
First Man

SOUND EDITING
First Man

SOUND MIXING
Bohemian Rhapsody

VISUAL EFFECTS
First Man

Green Book

I left out the documentary and short film categories because I haven't seen any of the films in those categories.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What does one have to do with the other?
Two movies about the intersection of race and commerce, straddling the line between comedy and drama. One of was bold and inventive and contemporary and absurdist, and the other was cozy and derivative and nostalgic and told through the filter of a white protagonist. Green Book is the kind of movie the Academy loved thirty years ago. Cinema has moved forward, but the Academy hasn't.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I find the cinematography category to be very interesting this year. 3 of the 5 nominees are for foreign films, 2 of the nominees are in black and white and 1 movie is in the 1.37:1 aspect ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks