What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In 90 seconds?

(Also, I still think this would upstage Blunt.)
You must think Blunt is a real prima donna and that she wouldn't feel honored to share the stage with Dame Julie Andrews. I personally don't have an issue with substituting different stars for the Oscars' performance versus the film's performance. Miss Andrews declined to participate in the movie out of deference, but that doesn't mean she can't be a part of Oscar night. I'm sure the whole cast and crew would be tickled to have her participate in some way.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
It's kind of funny how there's this push and pull between the drive to want to shorten the broadcast, and those who don't want much if anything cut. Human nature, totally normal.

The one thing for me that I found the best thing about the telecast were moments like when Mira Sorvino was giving her acceptance speech and she thanked her dad, cut to him and he broke down. Such a moment, it's those things that I hope don't get lost.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Andrews has not been singing since her voice operation. Julie was there for the Gaga SOM tribute; she would likely share a stage with Blunt.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You don't think politics and social issues are inextricably intertwined with film making? That film doesn't inherently champion certain politics and social issues?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just like on the HTF, when the politics and social issues are part of the film, of course it makes sense to discuss them as they pertain to the content of the film.

But for the comedians, hosts, and presenters to constantly be pushing an agenda, either political or social, is tiresome and boorish. I just don't need to be preached at by celebrities who think they know better than us. It's not what the ceremony is about.

If I was moderator of the Oscar's ceremony, I would squash that behavior like a bug! :laugh:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]Roma is great in a theater and I am glad I got the chance to see it in one.[...]
Found an upcoming theatrical showing of "Roma".
After all, if its AMPAS nominated then its got to be booked and presented on the big screen, too.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
How about a presentation that deceptively begins with Dick Van Dyke and Ms. Blunt;
then, suddenly, out comes Julie Andrews asking Emily if she is trying to steal her Bert?:)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Some interesting takeaways from Deadline's report tonight:

https://deadline.com/2019/02/oscars...well-allison-janney-no-presenting-1202547403/

1) Lady Gaga apparently refused to perform Shallow unless all nominees were featured. Since that's one of the ones the Academy wanted, that fixed it. Good for her. This makes me respect her even more than I already did. :thumbsup:

2) Emily Blunt doesn't want to perform, which is why someone else will do the song. So it's not about upstaging Blunt. She just doesn't want the pressure. My bet is Lin-Manuel Miranda will do it, since he's a big name, he's obviously comfortable performing live and he's still associated with the movie.

3) The big one: last year's acting winners have not been asked to present this year's acting awards because the Academy wants bigger names. I really think this is a disrespectful break with tradition, and I don't think the ratings will be any higher just because they get Tom Hanks or Oprah to hand out acting awards.

4) They're still going with the plan of presenting below-the-line awards during commercial breaks. :angry:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am shocked about last year's winners not getting the chance to present to the successors of the opposite sex. Though it hasn't always been done, it has been kind of a tradition during the past few decades.

The Academy has really made some boneheaded decisions this year concerning their own award ceremony.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I am shocked about last year's winners not getting the chance to present to the successors of the opposite sex. Though it hasn't always been done, it has been kind of a tradition during the past few decades.

The Academy has really made some boneheaded decisions this year concerning their own award ceremony.
They should rename the ceremony “The TV Ratings Choice Awards”! :angry:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Then, when the ratings are higher due to the presence of popular films like Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, and A Star is Born, they will come to the exact wrong conclusion that it was the changes they made in the show driving the ratings higher, rather than the films involved. :rolleyes:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
So they aren't pertinent to the topic (the celebration of the art of film-making), that's what.

So you're a Cher thanking her hairdresser kind of guy? j/k

But for the comedians, hosts, and presenters to constantly be pushing an agenda, either political or social, is tiresome and boorish. I just don't need to be preached at by celebrities who think they know better than us. It's not what the ceremony is about.

Speaking of pushing an agenda, that seems to be the way AMPAS members nominate and vote for the winners too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks