What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw them all some time ago, and on the big screen. IMO, the only 3 movies that deserved to be on the list of nominees were: Roma, The Favourite, and BlackkKlansman. The rest were fair to middling to ...There were some movies out there which were better than the other 6 nominees, for instance: Sorry to Bother You, or Blindspotting.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just watched The Wife.

Glenn Close deserves the Oscar praise she’s getting for this very good film.

I think I prefer GaGa and Olivia Coleman’s performances more but I wont have an issue when she wins the Oscar. And she will win.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just watched The Wife.

Glenn Close deserves the Oscar praise she’s getting for this very good film.

I think I prefer GaGa and Olivia Coleman’s performances more but I wont have an issue when she wins the Oscar. And she will win.
No Gaga for me. Adequate at best. Colman's performance is probably the strongest, but Close will win. Her film, however, I found weak, and buoyed mainly by her performance.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Glad you liked it. I loved all three of those performances, but I would vote for Glenn if I had a vote to cast. Plus, she is the most-nominated actress in history without a win, and I feel like it is her time.

Coleman, to me, is mis-categorized. It's a great performance, but Stone and Weisz are the leads of The Favourite and she is in more of a supporting capacity.

Gaga is sensational...but I'd still vote for Glenn.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Plus, she is the most-nominated actress in history without a win, and I feel like it is her time.
This is why she'll win, regardless of the quality of her currently nominated performance or the performances of the other nominated actresses. It's a "make good" for all the years she was nominated but did not win. A "body of work" award, essentially.

This is one of the reasons the Oscars have lost some credibility. They will sometimes use the current awards to fix perceived slights from the past.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This is why she'll win, regardless of the quality of her currently nominated performance or the performances of the other nominated actresses. It's a "make good" for all the years she was nominated but did not win. A "body of work" award, essentially.

This is one of the reasons the Oscars have lost some credibility. They will sometimes use the current awards to fix perceived slights from the past.
Yeah This practice has been going on for many many years. It’s nothing new.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

Except that once awards by any group start being handed out they all tend to be the same people winning. A herd mentality sets in. Not just the Oscars. Last year at the Oscars who thought McDormand, Oldman, Janney and Rockwell weren't going to win? They'd won most everything else up to that point. So how can AMPAS alone be accused of losing credibility?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only thing she cares about is keeping the broadcast under 3 hours.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only thing she cares about is keeping the broadcast under 3 hours.

This is why she's so concerned about the time:

One thing she could say is that the full pilot of Whiskey Cavalier will air after the Oscars telecast and will also air on Feb. 27.

She wants as many eyeballs on the show pilot as possible, and that dwindles the later it gets (at least on the east coast).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
She wants as many eyeballs on the show pilot as possible, and that dwindles the later it gets (at least on the east coast).

Do you actually think very many people would want to watch an episode of TV after the Oscars anyway? I'm looking forward to that show, but after the Oscars, the first thing I'm going to want to do is hop on here and discuss it.

In any case, te pilot is going to re-air on the following Wednesday in its normal time slot, so anyone who watches it after the Oscars is just gravy for the network.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Let me be clear: Glenn Close is so good in The Wife that for me personally, I would pick her even if she already had an Oscar. I saw all five of the movies in this category and I genuinely believe she is the most deserving this year.

However, the fact that she doesn't have one already is absolutely a factor for the voters, and I am going to be really excited to see her receive it.

Reactions: PMF

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I remember when John Wayne won for TRUE GRIT at the 1970 Oscar ceremony, the story was that Dustin Hoffman (nominated for MIDNIGHT COWBOY in the same category) had a hissy fit and stormed out right afterwards. The feeling was that Wayne got the award as a nod by the Academy to Old Hollywood, while acknowledging New Hollywood by giving Best Picture to MIDNIGHT COWBOY. While I think both performances are great and hold up very well, having seen both films again in recent years, I'm glad Wayne got it. I think he deserved it. Wayne really didn't have any other great roles like that afterwards. Hoffman did--and won for them.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last year's winning actors have been invited to present after all. But they're being asked to present together -- Oldman and Janey and McDormand and Rockwell -- so it's not clear if they will present their inverse gender categories or not.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ar-winning-actors-serve-as-presenters-1182431

Still, this is a step in the right direction. Coincidentally or not, McDormand and Rockwell presenting together will be a Three Billboards reunion.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Quick Reminder.

The BAFTA’s air tomorrow night. 9PM Eastern time. Tape delayed broadcast. BBC America.

Should present the clearest picture yet of the front runners. Always a fun show.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I am seeing Capernaum tomorrow, which is the Best Foreign Language Film nominee from Lebanon. It will be the last one I can see before the ceremony, since the fifth nominee in that category, Never Look Away, isn't opening here until after the broadcast.

Since Roma is widely expected to win this category, I don't get why the distributor behind Never Look Away (Sony Classics) is waiting until after the awards to expand here. It seems like it would take a miracle for it to win, so interest won't go up as the result of a win. It seems to me that the best time for it to expand would be now, when at least the nomination is still in play, for people who want to see everything before the ceremony. Oh well.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also as a courtesy since the BAFTAS are being telecast on a time delay, please don’t post the winners before they are presented on the show tonight.

Thanks all. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks