What's new

The Office season 5 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Pam likes Michael enough (or pities him enough) to want to help him. And it's not like she's putting alot on the line, she's got a crappy job, she can probably get something similar fairly easily (when Michael fails), she's living with Jim so there's no rent check due and she can rely temporarily on Jim's income.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
If Charles wasn't showing such disdain for Jim I would think he would get Michael's job. Then again, it could be a test of Jim's character.

Man, Pam leaving to go with Michael was such a Jerry McGuire moment. I wish the writers would have had Michael give some sort of acknowledgement to it as that's totally in his character to do so.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

The first two seasons were all about the slightly abnormal characters in real situations. It was after that that it became all about goofy jokes. I have to say, the last two episodes were the first time since midway through season 3 that I've really been excited about the show.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Anthony. I've actually enjoyed the past couple episodes more than any in a while, if for no other reason than they're just doing something different.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I bought it because Pam had just spent the whole day learning every function of that copier and was realizing that she actually was good at making things happen for herself instead of waiting for someone else to give her opportunities.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

I totally agree. Although this show stopped being a "mockumentary" a while back, the recent plot developments are no more "out there" (the wacky SNL approach to comedy) than anything we've seen this season or last, and the show hasn't been this "vital" since the end of Season 3.

I have arranged my expectations of this show to match what it is now capable of; nevertheless, after the last couple episodes, I'm very curious as to how they're going to handle Michael's absence. This got me to thinking: it's not so much that the writers or actors got any less talented; they've just worked in their comfort zone for so long that they began parodying their own show.

Jim's conflict with Charles is especially interesting, because Jim really has a lot to lose now.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it will be fleshed out a bit more with the awesome deleted scenes we get with every season release on dvd.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
the last episode especially blew me away. It felt fresh again for the first time in quite a while. The Pam leaving was a huge shock, but remember she has been willing to leave since season 1. I think she will now actually have the courage to follow her dream as an artist
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I love this show again.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My renewed love for this show just got crushed.

2 new episodes tonight, and I didn't think either was even mediocre. What gives?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They were just sort of depressing watching Michael and Pam fail while Ryan the asshole hangs around. And the proper Office storylines were lackluster.

The only big laugh for me was the altered credits sequence with the Michael Scott Paper Company broom closet office.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Again, enjoying The Office nowadays is all about adjusted expectations. Personally, I enjoyed the two new episodes more than I've enjoyed this show in a LONG while, if just for the fact that they can't use the old "Michael walks out of his office and announces something stupid while people react in a muted / exasperated fashion" joke.

Jim's constant state of FAIL is a comedy gold mine, in my opinion. The evaporation of the stupid love-triangle, which almost single-handedly destroyed this season, has also made Dwight, Andy and Angela funny again. Dwight's creepy "ghost story" (and his leering guffaws at the end of the story) was so very WRONG.

Loved the bango / guitar competition that transformed into a joyful love-fest.

They should never have brought back Ryan to Dunder-Mifflin this season. That was a stupid. lazy move, and I think they realized it. THIS is the way they should have brought him back originally. It makes logical sense, but it's also funnier from a comedy perspective. He has more room to be a ridiculous jerk, and this show NEEDS villains. It needs Charles and Ryan... or Toby, Office Killjoy.

Speaking of Toby, wasn't that his voice coming out of the vent, talking about "Damages" and if blue will go with tan? Surprisingly, I didn't mind that Michael ended up in the same building, because they didn't ONLY do it to keep the ensemble together. It also makes sense that Billy is Michael's only real estate contact, and that he'd have very few other options but to go to him.

Michael quitting was the best thing that could have happened to this show, even if it's still falling short of its potential. Maybe this is a case of lowered expectations. I just hope they don't "reset" the format by the end of the season.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
They're doing a good job of mixing things up instead of the expexted and tired storylines.

Yes the show is absurd but at the same time there is some real humanity in this show that is missing from so much of tv. It's sometimes subtle, but the Office does a great job of mixing reality in absurdness....

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I like how Dwight now has the upper hand over Jim by expoliting Jim's obvious mismatch with Charles in both personality and professionalism

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, if they would have saved Ryan until the last couple of episodes, it would have been hilarious, and unexpected. unfortunately, I got a "him again?" vibe.
I didn't enjoy it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The first one was okay, but the second episode was a laugh riot -- Ryan commenting on Pam being a 6 in NY but a 7 in Scranton (and her look as she realizes he's talking about her) and Dwight's line about "blood flowing to your penis" (and Stanley's look of disgust) had me howling. Also:

Michael saying, "It's Britney, bitch" to the camera (as Lady GaGa plays on the radio)
Creed putting back the 8.5 X 11 pancakes he took
Michael's dream about the tunafish and peanut butter sandwich
The bathroom call about Damages
Cute new receptionist
And yes, the reworked credits.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Loved to see Michael the top-notch salesman again tonight. My guess is that the Michael Scott Paper Company will do enough damage to Dunder Mifflin's bottom line that Dunder Mifflin acquires the company and merges it with the Scranton branch, thus restoring Michael's place at the head of the office.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks