What's new

The Office season 5 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I liked seeing Pam's talking head interview via computer.

Holly finding out that Kevin isn't mentally handicapped was hilarious.

And when Michael and Holly did their rap and it went to commercial, the first commercial (in my market anyway) was a Tide ad featuring some dork trying to rap. I'm sure Tide is happy that their spot was turned into a bigger goof than it already was.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I was a little concerned near the end that they were going to insert some artificial drama in Jim and Pam's relationship. Maybe something like what happened to Dwight where one of them got stuck and couldn't go, or maybe each of them went to the same rest stop but on opposite sides of the highway so they were both waiting for the other or something stupid like that. I'm very glad they didn't take this route.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm glad they stayed away with the artificial Jim/Pam drama as well (at least for now).

The funniest moment for me was Michael's unspoken "That's what she said" joke during the first weighing. Jim's incredulous "Really? Nothing?" was so well timed.

When Michael tore up the concert tickets, it broke my heart. What a clueless moron. But then, I expected nothing less.

Though I'm not one for artificial drama (which I guess the entire show is, by definition
), I was kind of hoping they'd string the Retarded Kevin thing along for at least a few more episodes. I think it was good for a few more jokes.

Jan's disappointment on hearing that the missing girl had been found was a good moment.

Poor Andy. Poor, poor Andy. Angela is as heartless as Michael is clueless.
May her dead, frozen cat haunt her forever.

Great season opener!

And before I forget, my DVR cut off just as
Toby was shown with a neck brace in a hospital.
What, if anything, happened after that?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Nothing really. I think he said "It would be nice to have visitors" but it ended after that.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought he said, "It's nice to have visitors." meaning the film crew, who weren't really visitors at all.

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
Great episode! Very satisfied. My DVR cut off before the Toby thing came on. What happened to him anyway? I forgot.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Toby left Scranton to go to Costa Rica, where he apparently suffered a zip line injury.

I liked the goatee thing: Michael grew one to match Ryan's, so Ryan shaved his off, so Michael shaved his off, leaving Dwigt with the goatee he had just grown.

I liked Angela explaining to the cameraman how she sleeps at night.

What was up with Meredith's face? She didn't get any lines this episode I believe, but whenever they showed her in the background her face seemed red and puffy.

Glad to see Darryl back after the actor's legal issues...

The scene with Kelly standing on the chair and everyone -- including Ryan -- telling her how beautiful and perfect she is (and Creed's comment about her ass) was great. You can see that Kelly really loves adoration like that.

I like how Phyllis attained the rank of party planner.

How about Dwight smashing or kicking or spraying anything related to food around the office?! And the flies in the vending machine!

"Andrew Bernard doesn't lose contests. He wins them. Or he quits them, because they weren't fair."

And of course, Jim and Pam in the rain. :)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I watched with a couple friends last night. One of them thought the show had "jumped the shark" because everyone seemed overwritten and cartoony. I can see a bit of that, but I've heard that complaint online since season 3, and my friend never thought it before. Another complaint I read online about this premiere was "too much soap opera," and I can kind of see that, too.

But I thought the episode was very strong and very funny. The subversion of expectations (misdirecting Jim & Pam's storyline) and filling up the scenes with small details that aren't obvious (Darryl nonchalantly eating a candy bar while everyone else is weighing in) are the strengths that continue to make "The Office" one of my favorite shows.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere that it was due to being stuck in Holly's car with a raccoon in the season finale. Then I thought it was a reaction from Dwight pepper spraying the food. But, in rewatching, her face didn't act up until the second weigh-in, I think...

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Although the show has gotten steadily more "broad" in its plots and characterizations since Season 3, last night's episode was good because it kept itself to the office (for the most part), and to the interplay between the characters inside the office, during their work day. The week-at-a-time pacing was also a good choice.

Steve Carrell is much funnier when he understates - when he's allowed to be just SLIGHTLY believable and vulnerable. It makes his subsequent mistakes even more uncomfortable.

Anyone else here think it was really straining credulity that Ryan would EVER be allowed back at Dunder Mifflin? The "temp" explanation seemed a little thin.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I didn't understand why the scale went down 220 lbs when Pam stepped off.

Anyone care to elaborate (or correct my math)?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It only went down 126 pounds (2336-2210). Kevin screwed up the math.

I had to think about the joke for a bit. The long pause was more about people being people and trying to figure out what Pam weighed, not that they thought she weighed alot.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Ugh...I wasn't home last night and we had a power outage so my DVR missed most of it. Does anyone know if they'll be doing an encore any time soon? I don't want to have to watch on my PC or non-HD BT (am I allowed to say that?).

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Lol,poor Kevin and his math. Another reason Holly probably continued to think Kevin was mentally challenged. Who was it that started this yarn about Kevin being challenged? For some reason I have a feeling Stanley has something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks