What's new

The Odd Couple, Odd Audio Problem? (1 Viewer)

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
Hi, Everybody!

I'm elated that Paramount has has released The Odd Couple on DVD, and that they've done a good job of coming out with the various seasons quickly (Let's hope that they continue this pattern with the 5th/final season).

I had a problem with the audio on season 2: The laugh track and the music was disproportionately loud in relation to the dialogue- so that when you'd put it loud enough to hear the dialogue at a normal level, the laughs/music would be BLARING! I did an exchange for a replacement S2, and the replacement was fine.

Now I'm having the same problem with season 4- not quite as bad as my first S2....only some of the eps seem to have the problem on S4, and not as badly as S2.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

I can't believ e they even used a laugh track on this fine show! You can't help but to laugh at this quality comedy- you need no prodding- and the existence of a laugh track on such a quality show tends to cheapen it....as if it were an inferior show that couldn't garner real laughs!!

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

I haven't purchased a season set of "The Odd Couple," so I can't comment on the issue that you're speaking of.

However, in all fairness to Paramount, only season 1 of "The Odd Couple" relied on dubbed laughter. The remaining seasons were filmed in front of a live audience.

Tony Randall and Jack Klugman both, as I recall, disliked the laugh track on the show, and fought for its removal. One of the last episodes of season one, as a test, aired on ABC with no laughter dubbed in--an episode featuring John Astin, in which Oscar went to work for a girlie magazine. Filming in front of a studio audience was ultimately decided as the way to go, though.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The problem I've had with audio is that the music (especially the opening theme) blasts louder than the rest, and sometimes I find myself going down with the volume and up again when the show resumes after the credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks