What's new

The Monkees TV Series & 33⅓ Revolutions per Monkee + "Head" (1968) movie, coming to Blu (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oliver Ravencrest said:
I never realized that music was substituted after the original broadcasts, never saw those. I love that there will be the option to play both.
Music was changed a couple times. Between seasons 1 and 2, IIRC, reruns had songs from Headquarters replacing the original music. Then, when CBS bought the series for reruns in 1970, music from the Changes album was included.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Oliver Ravencrest said:
I never realized that music was substituted after the original broadcasts, never saw those. I love that there will be the option to play both.

Hi Ron!

I believe that the alternate soundtracks for the Saturday morning repeats and early syndication runs have been the single most requested Monkees related perk dating way back to the early 00's, at least. I'm blown away that this is finally being done!

Man, I'd love to get the collector's edition with ALL of the bonus content, but especially with our current crappy rate of exchange on top of shipping and taxes, its just so 'far out' of my price limit, it's not even funny! Nevertheless, it is great news that there will eventually be a non limited edition set for those of us whose pockets are lesser of depth! The show itself is the main thing when it comes right down to it, anyway!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I'd love to get the collector's set too but my budget will only allow for a non-limited edition set. I can't always afford the ones like the Batman LE.

Thank you Tony and Robert for the info about the music. I've only seen the episodes when they were syndicated in the afternoons. :)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To expand on my earlier post, the history of the music used on The Monkees TV show is convoluted, at best.

Season 1 had songs like "I Wanna Be Free" (the fast version) "Words", "Valleri", and "You Just May Be The One" that were recorded, used on TV, and never released on any original album. But, they were all rerecorded eventually and included on albums. Valleri even became a single, because DJs recorded the song from the show and played it on the radio, so Colgems capitalized on it by rerecording the song and officially releasing it.

Then, the 70s syndication era had songs from Changes dubbed into the show, with all new videos circa 1970 featuring the last Monkees standing (Micky and Davy), but there were also songs included on the sound track like "Steam Engine", which was destined to be a single but rights issues meant it was never officially released until 1987.

The only version of the show I had seen until the DVDs was the 30 episodes Nick at Nite aired in 1997, and IIRC, some of those episodes featured changed soundtracks. But by that point, the episodes had been mostly restored to their original state.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I am looking forward to the optional repeat songs, as well as all the other extras. By the way, this 1986 article from Goldmine magazine includes a list of the TV episodes, including the songs as heard in syndication from 1975-85. A lot of the first season shows (though not all) had the summer 1967 redubs. This changed beginning in 1986, with the majority (though not all) reverting back to the original songs, and a couple ("The Chaperone" and "Monkees On Tour") had the Saturday morning redub songs. Part one: http://www.monkeesconcerts.com/uploads/7/8/9/5/7895731/gm86tv3.jpg Part two: http://www.monkeesconcerts.com/uploads/7/8/9/5/7895731/gm86tv4.jpg And here is an account of the Saturday morning reruns, many of which had songs changed again: http://monkeestv.tripod.com/SaturdayAfternoon/SaturdayAfternoon.html

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's available? I thought it had been postponed until late April.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Monkees-The-Complete-Series/21902
Hi Dave!

Thank you very much for your post! I had a feeling that something had happened to delay the release, but I hadn't seen anything specific until now!

Due to finances, I'll unfortunately have to eventually settle for an unlimited edition without the Bonus Disc. The only stuff that I'll really miss are the commercials, as these don't look very good (Though still fun to watch!) on the DVD Season sets I currently have! At least the bizarre but interesting 33 1/3 REVOLUTIONS PER MONKEE isn't on that Bonus Disc, so hopefully I can get that with whatever Blu-ray set is issued down the road!

Tony

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'd spend four times that amount for a limited special release of the entire Adventures in Paradise series. but am certainly not holding my breath. Monkees fans rejoice, after all it's only money.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Those extra sound so amazing. Unfortunately I can't buy now either. I will definitely upgrade down the road since i had bad discs in my old set.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Those extra sound so amazing. Unfortunately I can't buy now either. I will definitely upgrade down the road since i had bad discs in my old set.
Hi James!

Sorry to hear about your bad discs from THE MONKEES DVD sets! I take it you weren't able to exchange these, for some reason?

Truth be told, even if I was dealing with the $199 base price in Canadian currency, it would still be about double what I could even remotely afford. Our current 75 cents for every U.S. Dollar, along with the shipping costs simply put it that much farther out of reach for me! It's too bad, as this looks like a really amazing set, but it is what it is!

I just wish the commercial spots weren't on the exclusive to the collector's edition Bonus Disc (If doable, night of broadcast edits would have been ideal, in my opinion!), as it would have been great to have the 35mm Transfers! If given the choice, I could just as easily pass on their cinematic feature HEAD (1968), especially as this is already available as a Blu-ray standalone! Ah well!

Tony

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
yeah, i keep meaning to get that Nicholson set with HEAD. I have an old tape I recorded, would be GREAT to see that on blu. I really want the limited set and could do without a dup of HEAD on blu.

Those paper sleeves just reek havock on my discs. My favorite episode is probably the fairy tale one with Nesmith dressed as a princess. that truly is hysterical. of course that's the one that skips.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm in Tony's boat being in Canada. I can technically afford it despite the exchange, I just can't bring myself to do so ha ha. One day I may crack. I've been pretty close to pulling the trigger, and in fairness, I've acquired all the handmade CD's and whatnot via "other" means so I really should shoot them some cash for this one.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have the Criterion blu for "Head" and it's a gorgeous transfer. I would imagine they would re-use it, but I don't know.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have the Criterion blu for "Head" and it's a gorgeous transfer. I would imagine they would re-use it, but I don't know.
Hi Russell!

I'd somehow forgotten that HEAD got the Criterion treatment! Just knowing that gives me cause to believe that anyone else would be hard pressed to improve on that version!

As I've stated in a previous post, at least 33 1/3 REVOLUTIONS PER MONKEE isn't on the Bonus Disc, and thus, theoretically could be available on a subsequent Unlimited Edition? However bizarre that is, I'd very much like to have that special in the best Visual Quality possible, especially as it really does look incredibly lousy on THE MONKEES Season 2 DVD set! At least with the commercials that are included in the Season 1 set, it's only the color palette that's really lacking!

Tony

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
HEAD should be included in the non-exclusive Monkee sets too. It's listed as disc 8, with 33 1/3 being disc 9. It's the previous unreleased outtakes to HEAD that is on the bonus disc. Due to licensing they aren't allowed to include them on the HEAD discs. Same with most of the rest of the bonus disc.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
HEAD should be included in the non-exclusive Monkee sets too. It's listed as disc 8, with 33 1/3 being disc 9. It's the previous unreleased outtakes to HEAD that is on the bonus disc. Due to licensing they aren't allowed to include them on the HEAD discs. Same with most of the rest of the bonus disc.
Hi Russell!

Except for the commercials, which have previously been included on the Series DVD sets, unless the terms have changed in that area.

Tony "I Know I Keep Carping About The Monkees 35mm Commercial Spots Only Being Available On The Monkees Limited Collector's Blu-ray Set, But Damn It I Was Really Looking Forward To Getting Better Prints Of These, Someday!" Bensley

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It was posted on another thread the other day that the release of the Limited Edition Blu-ray set has been delayed yet again, this time to June 27, 2016! Apparently, more Bonus Features are being added to the mix.

I'll attempt to find the actual article (Which includes a link to a podcast, which explains the latest!), but for now here's the original page for the LE Blu-ray set, at the bottom of which two of the comments reference the latest delay in release:
http://www.monkees.com/article/full-contents-of-the-monkees-the-complete-series-on-blu-ray-revealed

EDIT: Here's the latest press release from tvshowsondvd.com which outlitnes the additional extras, along with the (unfortunate) delay that accompanies these:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Monkees-The-Complete-Series/22187

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
While it's nice that they're trying to add more promo and performance footage from the 60s, I'd be happier if they could find some way to work out a deal to include the mid-90s ABC special as an extra. It was designed to be like a new episode of the series, and incorporated ABC-friendly versions of songs from the then-new "Justus" album. I taped it at the time, but that particular VHS tape died quite a while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks