What's new

The Men Who Made the Movies: Howard Hawks (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
TCM will be airing the revised PBS documentary on the great director tonight, followed by 4 of his movies: The Big Sleep, His Girl Friday, Sergeant York, and Only Angels Have Wings.

~T

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
That was a great documentary and almost completely diferent from the original, if my memory serves me right. I'm glad that I didn't tape over the original PBS version.

My only complaint which is a fairly major one is that a director of his caliber should get a much longer documentary. The following movies weren't even mentioned - "Ball of Fire", "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes", "Hatari", "El Dorado", or "Rio Lobo". I realize that it wasn't intended to be a biography, but a bit more information on his relationships in Hollywood would have been interesting, as he had many ties. There was no mention of his involement in "The Outlaw" or "The Thing From Another World". It seemed as though, they just ran out of time and ended it. The last 20 years of his life were almost completely truncated.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up.
I caught this last night. As Eric said it did seem rather short mainly focusing on his earlier films and not touching on the later ones.
Howard had some interesting remarks on High Noon (which I already knew about) & The Wild Bunch.
I would have liked to get his take on The Thing but since he didn't direct it himself ;) I'm not surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks