What's new

'The Maxx' The single greatest cartoon in the history of civilization? (1 Viewer)

Troy_S

Agent
I caught this show quite accidentaly a couple of months ago (1:00am EST on Teletoon, originally aired on MTV I think) and all I can say is DDAAAMMMMMNNNN this show rules! The characters are by FAR the most interesting and complex I've seen in ANY television show animated or not. The subject matter manages to be about many times more disturbing then even the most violent Anime and yet there is almost no gore in the show.
Since watching it my first time I've become hooked but I fear I've seen all the episodes out there... does anyone know anything about this show?
BTW if you DON'T know anything about it FIND IT AND WATCH IT.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I REALLY enjoyed the Max. There arent too many of them ,itd be cool to get a DVD set.
I remember seeing a VHS set at Blockbuster awhile back.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on August 28, 2001 at 07:57 PM]

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have the vhs. it is on one tape presented as a long movie rather then several eps of a tv show. its about 2 hrs long and for vhs the sound is pretty good. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6304016212/qid=999055257/sr=1-1/ref=sc_v_1/002-1256940-1674429
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
OUT OF 5
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----
[Edited last by TonyD on August 28, 2001 at 10:33 PM]
[Edited last by TonyD on August 28, 2001 at 10:33 PM]

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly, this show was based on a comic book series of the same name, issued about 7 years ago by Image Comics. I have Issue #1 of the comic book, and I remember not understanding much of it. It's pretty out there...
The artist was also the creator & writer for the book. He previously did some Batman books... I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but the art in the series is pretty much the same as that in the book.
Like much animation, if this came out on DVD I'd probably buy it.
Moe.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The artist was also the creator & writer for the book. He previously did some Batman books... I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but the art in the series is pretty much the same as that in the book.
Sam Kieth, who also used to do some great inking of Matt Wagner's pencils in 'Mage'.

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
I would definitely buy The Maxx on DVD. Used to love it on MTV. The music, voice acting and overall tone were fantastic. The visuals were great, too. Though if you paid attention, you noticed that the show was only sparsely animated, consisting mainly of static art and camera pans and zooms. Wouldn't change a thing, though.
I believe the show was based on the first 20 issues of the comic. The comic series continued, but I lost interest after a few issues. The first 20 pretty much finished up the story arc that had grabbed me. Maybe if I went back and gave the second arc a chance, I'd get into it now...
-Dave

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think the show was so sparsely animated in order to preserve the look of the comic, which is basically identical to the show. In fact, that was one of the reasons why, as good as the show was, I had trouble getting into it: it was actually *too* faithful to the comics. I don't really mind changes being made from one medium to another as long as the spirit of the work remains intact :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks