What's new

The Man Who Wasn't There: 4/16 release (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, the Blood Simple commentary was one of the funniest

I've heard.

Great news on TMWWT release. Now if only Fox would get off their butts and release Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink on DVD!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
AMEN on Millers Crossing and Barton Fink.
I was forced to resort to buying a $8 VHS copy Of MC from Media Play the other day.:eek: :frowning:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I was over the moon when I read the specs this morning. An absolute gem of a film, I can't wait!

Dan (UK)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I expect this disc to be a different kind of "torture test" for display devices. This isn't just a black-and-white film; it's almost a reinvention of black-and-white. I'm very curious to see how the technical folks dealt with the challenge of converting it to video.

M.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Michael, what do you mean? Is it that Deakins shot it in color and then transferred it to black and white (as is the case with most contemporary b&w movies). Actually, when I saw the film the entire first reel was in color. There've been numerous reportings of freak-prints of this movie.

Mark

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Actually, when I saw the film the entire first reel was in color.
As I recall, the Coens had to reassure the studio that the movie could be released in color, which was fine with them once Deakins discovered that color film gave him the look he was after when the color was removed. I didn't realize, though, that any color prints had escaped into general circulation. I'd be interested to see one, but I can't imagine it would look as good as the black-and-white.
M.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I read somewhere that a few color reels were seen in Canada, but it was a mistake. The film was not intended to be seen in color.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
This was one of the perks of the day for me. Not only is a fantastic film being released but it's got a commentary by the Coen's (and at a nice RRP). April is turning into an expensive month for me. Lots of excellent titles being released. It's being re-released at my local theatre and i'm looking forward to catching this again, the cinematography was stunning. A highly recommended film for those who are yet to see it.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Michael, I know no one is suggesting that, but this sort of thing can cause confusion. Consider it a preemptive strike. :)

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
A colour-to-b&w comparison would be very sweet. Maybe it will be in the Deakins interview. Regardless, gimme gimme gimme :D

Russ Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen The Man Who Wasn't There yet, but I'm guessing Deakins used the same digital process to de-colorize it that he used to enhance the color schemes in O Brother Where Art Thou. There's a great feature entitled "Painting With Pixels" on the O Brother disc which explains the process. Finally-- some CGI that I find enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks