What's new

The Man Who Knew Too Much (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Moe Dickstein said:
It's still so frustrating that my very favorite titles in the Hitch set are the ones that got the most crapped on (Marnie, Family Plot, Man).If anyone has the set, please go pull out The Trouble With Harry. Look at how AMAZING the opening shots of New England are, the rich vibrant color, the resolution in the image, the sheer beauty of that.That is VistaVision and what it can look like.Now pull out your disc of Man, realize that it is a NEWER film than what you just watched and then look at as much of it as you can stand. Sure there is wonderful resolution there, but does it look like Harry? Not even in the same galaxy.That is why it's so frustrating. If some work was done that I imagine would be not cheap but not outrageously costly was done, this film would look AS GOOD as Harry.Now try to keep telling yourself it's "good enough".I have no problem watching something that would be sub-par when it's all we have that survives, but I have a big problem with it when the materials are there to do it right.
On your suggestion, I decided to spend some time this morning viewing the BD of The Trouble with Harry. I have to concede that this video presentation is much more pleasing to my eyes than The Man Who Knew Too Much. However, with that said, and reading some negative comments from a few other people in RAH's A few words thread on Harry, I have to conclude that certain expectations are much different/higher than my own. Furthermore, those differences are just as significant throughout the membership as RAH's expectations for an example are so different than what others might expect which is why opinions vary so much in regard to most BD presentations.

It's been probably 30-35 years since I viewed The Trouble with Harry from beginning to end. I didn't cared for it much the first time, but I appreciate it a lot more now viewing it with a more mature set of sensibilities.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I first saw The Man Who Knew Too Much and The Trouble With Harry 50 years (!!??) ago this month, in May of 1963, when they played as a double feature at the Florida Theater in Fort Lauderdale. At that tender age I was thrilled with the former, and I was definitely interested in the latter, but I kept waiting for something...anything...exciting to happen. :) It certainly does pay, now and then, to have reached a "certain" age.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Harry the film is a bit of an odd duck, but I do love that shot of Jerry Mathers standing framed by Harry's shoes. But I was just blown away by how those establishing shots looked on my 60" DLP.

SteveJ86

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I'm not the only one who thinks the fact that the 1934 BR looks better than the 1956 BR is kinda ironic, am I?

What's going on with Universal anyway, have they fully restored any of these movies? It seems like all the restored Hitchcocks are from other studios...There has to be money in it if everyone else is doing it, whats Universals excuse?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Bumping this thread to let everyone know that, following their successful Kickstarter recordings of Dimitri Tiomkin's Dial M for Murder and Jerry Goldsmith's Black Patch and The Man, Intrada Records will be launching a Kickstarter campaign to record Bernard Hermann's complete scores for this and On Dangerous Ground in a few days time.

5/17/2022

Bernard Herrmann excitement! Following on our continuing series of successful re-recordings of film music with Maestro William T. Stromberg on the podium and myself tapping him on the shoulder every time we want more French horns in bar 27, we’re readying the scores and parts to two incredible scores Herrmann scored in the fifties: Alfred Hitchcock’s The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) and On Dangerous Ground (1951). Only a brief portion of the Hitchcock score has been previously recorded, Now listeners will finally have all of the music Herrmann composed, including four minutes of music never-before-heard that was scored but then dropped from the finished film! And that “Prelude” is one of his most exciting with brass and tympani getting center spotlight. Some of the quieter cues with James Stewart searching for his kidnapped son are extraordinary as well. On Dangerous Ground of course features the ferocious “Death Hunt” which we’ll be doing replete with eight horns, six trumpets and trombones and two tubas! In balance are the numerous lovely passages for solo viola d’amore and strings. All-in-all an incredible array of Herrmann music. We’ll post the official Kickstarter goal and launch here in just a few days as we complete the session line-up requirements for this extraordinary recording event. We’ve got a nice track record with this series, thanks to the support from all of you!

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
As I implied in my earlier post, Man Who Knew Too Much is the stretch goal with On Dangerous Ground (the original recordings of which also survive, but in poor condition) being the main focus. That said, I wouldn’t mind seeing the original recordings get a legitimate release, plus those of some of the other Herrmann Universal scores with surviving original recordings like the few bits of Torn Curtain that Herrmann was able to record before getting fired.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I'd like a release of COMPANIONS IN NIGHTMARE/THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH/ TORN CURTAIN (surviving tracks conducted by Herrmann).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I am pleased to announce that the Kickstarter (which ended tonight) was a success and that both On
Dangerous Ground and Man Who Knew Too Much will be re-recorded (with MWKTM including some music that went unused in the film) by Intrada Records.
I’m a proud supporter!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks