What's new

The Man Who Knew Too Much (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
manwho.jpeg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
Please DO NOT purchase this!

It will only lead to more garbage of this sort.

RAH
While I understand the sentiment in that request, I don't think it's anybody else's business how others spend their discretionary monies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Crawford said:
While I understand the sentiment in that request, I don't think it's anybody else's business how others spend their discretionary monies.
Robert,

If I had the power to force people not to purchase, I would. Unfortunately, that's not the case. MWKTW is a beautiful film that's been turned into one of the worst looking Blu-rays available.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
Robert,

If I had the power to force people not to purchase, I would. Unfortunately, that's not the case. MWKTW is a beautiful film that's been turned into one of the worst looking Blu-rays available.

RAH
If I had to power to stop you from doing so, I would. Yes, it's unfortunate what happen to that film with its BD release which I haven't viewed yet. However, based on your comments today, I'll rectify that non-activity tonight so I can judge it myself and not from what others have stated about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I'm not disputing RAH's opinion about this BD, but I still like to judge these discs from my own perspective. Also, I haven't watched this film in a very long time so that's another reason.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robert Harris said:

RAH
It could be worse--they could be selling a single edition of their Family Plot blu-ray...

So, no possibility this is an updated transfer? I bought the blu-ray collection and agree this is definitely a bottom rung transfer compared to the rest. Strange they're releasing this first instead of a title like The Birds or Vertigo, which have a far superior transfer to boot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoHud said:
It could be worse--they could be selling a single edition of their Family Plot blu-ray...

So, no possibility this is an updated transfer? I bought the blu-ray collection and agree this is definitely a bottom rung transfer compared to the rest. Strange they're releasing this first instead of a title like The Birds or Vertigo, which have a far superior transfer to boot.
Not really as those will most likely get individual releases later this year after the "Hitchcock: The Essentials Collection" with those titles in it, comes out on June 4th.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Rear Window, The Birds AND Family Plot are all available in the U.K. now, and I'm sure the rest will follow here in the U.S.

I have to disagree with Mr Harris here. TMWKTM is not the worst BD I've ever seen, although obviously it could be improved upon. It is the best available version available however, and if someone wants to buy it, let them.

Now, if Warner would release the remaining titles they have the rights to we would have the majority of Hitchcock's sound films on blu-ray.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robert Crawford said:
Not really as those will most likely get individual releases later this year after the "Hitchcock: The Essentials Collection" with those titles in it, comes out on June 4th.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Essentials set. Good point.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
JoHud said:

"The Birds" has recently received stand-alone editions in both the UK and Australia - the US shouldn't be far behind.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
Robert,

RAH
After viewing this BD in its entirety, I can say it's lacking especially with some color shifting and not being as vibrant as it should have been, but I can't call it one of the worst looking BDs available. I guess my untrained eyes are more forgiving along with my lack of intimate knowledge of what this movie looked like on film. Furthermore, my 65" screen probably comes into play here too regarding the video issues, some have noted about this BD. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, I would give this BD a 3.5 video grade.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Harris said:
Please DO NOT purchase this!

It will only lead to more garbage of this sort.

RAH
Hey, that's fighting talk! Is it really as bad as that? I have the DVD which is less than excellent. Is the BRD so bad that it's not an upgrade?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Crawford said:
After viewing this BD in its entirety, I can say it's lacking especially with some color shifting and not being as vibrant as it should have been, but I can't call it one of the worst looking BDs available. I guess my untrained eyes are more forgiving along with my lack of intimate knowledge of what this movie looked like on film. Furthermore, my 65" screen probably comes into play here too regarding the video issues, some have noted about this BD. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, I would give this BD a 3.5 video grade.
I agree with you, Crawdaddy. When I got the Hitchcock BD set from England, the first film I went to was The Man Who Knew Too Much because it's in my top five Hitchcocks and a longtime favorite. I noted the color shifting in the early scenes, and certainly there was dirt and a lack of vibrancy undoubtedly proving Universal didn't go out of its way to spruce this one up for Blu. But on my 58" plasma screen, I found it imminently watchable, and in the end I was not completely displeased with it. For me, a 3.5/5 would be most accurate.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I think this is one of those cases where people (like me) who don't know how good the film could look will judge it completely differently to people who do. To my eyes it looked quite acceptable. The color pulsing can be mildly distracting, but otherwise it looked like an improvement over my old DVD.Of course I got the movie as part of the Masterpiece Collction. If I were buying each title separately, I'd think twice about getting this Blu-ray. By the same token, I really can't imagine any fan of this movie not being severely tempted to buy the BD.A real dilemma, given we may not see a better version of this film, yet at the same time, buying it may also help to ensure that we never get a better version!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
There seem to be similar opinions in this thread as were those stated in the Hitchcock Masterpiece collection in particular comments about "the Man Who Knew Too Much" and "Family Plot" (which has been released in Germany) I find it funny that for these 2 films have such a wide range of opinion (very bad to ok-good) of many people also those on Amazon. I have a theory which I cannot yet prove. Everyone basically is in agreement with Marnie but not these two films. I am sure there would be more agreement if these 3 films (with Marnie) would be processed like "Rear Window" and "Harry".

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Persianimmortal said:
I think this is one of those cases where people (like me) who don't know how good the film could look will judge it completely differently to people who do. To my eyes it looked quite acceptable. The color pulsing can be mildly distracting, but otherwise it looked like an improvement over my old DVD.Of course I got the movie as part of the Masterpiece Collction. If I were buying each title separately, I'd think twice about getting this Blu-ray. By the same token, I really can't imagine any fan of this movie not being severely tempted to buy the BD.A real dilemma, given we may not see a better version of this film, yet at the same time, buying it may also help to ensure that we never get a better version!
On the other hand, buying it may show that there's still a substantial market for this title. A real dilemma indeed.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Rob_Ray said:
On the other hand, buying it may show that there's still a substantial market for this title. A real dilemma indeed.
Precisely. With no need to pick up their game. MKNTM was an absolutely gorgeous production. What we have on the Blu-ray is a rotting corpse.

RAH

RichSeeger

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard Seeger
I would like to thank Mr. RAH for advising me how to spend my discretionary monies with regards to this and so many other titles on Blu-ray. As motive and desire can be so heavily driven by the $, I'm happy to speak to Universal (and, when applicable, other entities) with my closed wallet. Blu-ray's raison d'etre (indeed, what they were commissioned to provide) proves that this disc shouldn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks