What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Lost City (2022)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: The Lost City (2022)

Tagline: The adventure is real. The heroes are not.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Romance

Director: Adam Nee, Aaron Nee

Cast: Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe, Brad Pitt, Da'Vine Joy Randolph, Patti Harrison, Oscar Nunez, Raymond Lee, Thomas Forbes-Johnson, Héctor Aníbal, Katherine Montes, Danny Radhames Vasquez Castillo, Bowen Yang

Release: 2022-03-24

Runtime: 112

Plot: Follows a reclusive romance novelist who was sure nothing could be worse than getting stuck on a book tour with her cover model, until a kidnapping attempt sweeps them both into a cutthroat jungle adventure, proving life can be so much stranger, and more romantic, than any of her paperback fictions.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anyone else seen this yet? I'm surprised that there wasn't already a thread for this. I went this afternoon. It doesn't reshape its genre or anything, but it doesn't need or want to do that. It just wants to provide a fun afternoon at the movies, and it accomplished that. I had a great time with it.

Sandra Bullock plays a writer who is kidnapped by Daniel Radcliffe's character. He believes her research will help him locate a lost treasure. Channing Tatum is the cover model for Bullock's books who decides to rescue her. It is really as simple as that. The movie works because of the personality of the stars and their interplay together. I wasn't asking for Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum to team up in a movie, but the combination turns out to be a fun surprise. Daniel Radcliffe is the reason I went, and he was having great fun as the villain.

The script is pretty solid for a film like this. I laughed during it and I didn't feel like it was trying too hard to earn the laughs. You can probably see where this is going to end up, but when the movie is as entertaining as this one is, that doesn't really matter because the journey to get there is so much fun. It has good comedy, fun action, and great images. The cinematography, especially in the exotic-looking jungle locations, is really beautiful to look at and I am glad I saw this on the big screen. They shot this in the Dominican Republic, and I appreciated the feel of actual locations. It didn't feel too overbaked with CG effects. It was a pleasure to watch.

I assume this movie would probably play well with a crowd. When I saw it this afternoon, there were only a few other people there, so I didn't really have a huge audience reaction because the audience wasn't huge. But it does seem like a crowd pleaser, if you get a crowd.

if you go, there is a mid-credits scene but not a post-credits one.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this today - AMC A-List, Dolby Cinema - and found it to offer a real disappointment.

I just wanted a light mix of comedy, adventure and romance, but this one is a leaden, forced dud.

Zero chemistry between SB and TC. Odd tone. Weird misfires.

And just no fun at all. The movie completely blows any and all lively and frisky moments to become a slow slog to nowhere.

I didn't expect a classic, but I thought we'd get a lively 112 minutes of popcorn pleasures.

I couldn't wait for it to end. Just uninspired from start to finish.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I thought the film started off fantastic, then just lost steam towards the end- stopped being fun and chaotic. I didn’t finish it. I guess I will at some point.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The UHD was ten bucks so I said what the hey and took a chance. I'm a big fan of these types of adventure movies. It was OK, nice visuals and a couple of genuinely funny lines but nothing I plan on revisiting anytime soon. A surgically-enhanced Bullock (and not in a good way) begrudgingly frolics around an imaginary middle of the Ocean island with 16-years-younger beefcake Channing Tatum while being chased by an at-first unrecognizable Harry Potter. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised Hollywood is still interested in Bullock. At nearly 60 (but looking somewhat 45-ish under the plastic surgery) and skeletally-built, she wouldn't be in my top 10 choices for a role meant for a 22-30 year old, especially not looking the way she does. I wonder if she got the role because she knew one of the Producers and did him a favor. Anyway, this is sadly what we can expect from Hollywood these days. Some of these are decent timewasters and this is one of those.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bullock was one of the film's producers under her Fortis Films production company (established in 1995).

I thought she was age-appropriate for the role. She's a successful novelist who has seemingly written many books over years and years and become disillusioned by her success, especially after the death of her husband. I'd expect the character to be 45-50-ish, at least.

This was Bullock's 11th film to gross over $100 million domestic, so that's why Hollywood is still interested. She's one of the few remaining movie stars that can get the butts in the seats. Not to mention her Oscar for Best Actress.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
i would put this together with Fools Gold and Romancing the Stones as Treasure Searching Rom-Coms for weekend burn-off.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks